Options

electric winch advice wanted

Need advice on winching t@b 400: we store our tab under cover, 'hitch first' next to our house in a location that is not a 'pull through'. We are looking for a plug-in electric winch, powered by shore power (30 amp or house power) that we can use to pull the camper up a 2% grade, 75' long, 50' of which is crushed brick surface, last 25' is concrete pavers. Assume about 2800 pounds camper weight. Any advice on a suitable winch?

Comments

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    You might want to check out purplelineusa.com. A couple with a Tada use it to get the trailer from the alley into their back yard. He has posted a video on Facebook. You can also search youtube for purple line trailer mover and see other options. I've been researching as my back isn't getting any younger, and I'd like to remain upright and camping as long as possible. Good luck!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,653
    Etrailer has some, but I am winch ignorant.

Someone asked the same question (almost)

They do have other winches

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    teztabteztab Member Posts: 99
    AMac said:
    Need advice on winching t@b 4900: we store our tab under cover, 'hitch first' next to our house in a location that is not a 'pull through'. We are looking for a plug-in electric winch, powered by shore power (30 amp or house power) that we can use to pull the camper up a 2% grade, 75' long, 50' of which is crushed brick surface, last 25' is concrete pavers. Assume about 2800 pounds camper weight. Any advice on a suitable winch?
    Harbor Freight has a good line of winches under the Badland brand.  I have a 2500 which I use with my tractor and to load my utility trailer.  I have it mounted on a receiver tube so it can be used with the hitch on my tractor or Jeep.  You probably need something like their 3500 model 
     https://m.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/winches/3500-lbs-atvutility-electric-winch-with-automatic-load-holding-brake-61257.html
    Most winches have 50 cables, so you will need to pull with an extension strap.  Ideally, it is always best to use a snatch block pulley to reduce the load and electrical draw.  You might want to use your Tab deep cycle battery to power the winch rather than your vehicle battery.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I think @AMac was going to power it from the house. @AMac, I think eTrailer is a good place to start. Calling them for advice on if they have the correct winch is best. Their customer service is only out-done by NuCamp's. That said, you'll have to figure out where you are going to put it and if your reinforced post, concrete, etc can handle that much weight.

If you have such a driveway, is there a chance you can pull the trailer up it part ways? I have a feeling you have a narrow driveway and that's why you are asking.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    Your trailer being in the 2800 lbs weight, but power to make it roll will be a few hundread lbs.

The weight on a winch is based on the first layer of line on the drum.  The one that is close to the drum center.  The more layer you roll, the less power remains.  But the load rating is for moving a dead weight (no bearind of wheels).

so with an ATV winch 2000 lbs range, you will be fine, unless you want to pull your trailer w/o wheels or over a concrete curb.

now, you can have a 12 volt winch or a 110 volt.

for the 110, I know that warn makes the pullzall.  As for the 2000lbs, the best brand is warn, ramsey and superwinch.  Plenty other model and brands have been available for the last 10 years, mostly if not all chinese knock off, but still, they seems to work fairly well, but could suddently stop w/o apparent reason.  But at 60 $, it could be sent to scrap metal after a couple of years.  All depend if you are the type of persone who try to reduce the perchase and throw away tendancy.  

But just so you know, you might have to recharge your battery after the pull, cause on 12 volt, the engine should always be running to try to recharge a battery.

for a truck winch, the typical winch begin at 8000 lbs, those winch under full load can eat consume as much as 400 amps.  Even a 2000 rpm, the alternator is not able to keep up after 30 sec at full load.  But w/o load, it will last longer, even w/o charge.  

A 2000 lbs winch should not be to bad of a hog.  As for cable lenght, look around, it should be on the description.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • Options
    LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    Like mentionned, the 12 volts winch coudl be mounted to be transferd or temporary mount.  I think I would go with henderson connector and a steel plate with a 2" ball on it.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC