2018 CS 320 CS S - when your trailer is parked

Hello, 

We are brand new to trailers and to 2018 320 CS -S.  I have a question about tanks when the trailer is parked for a few weeks.  First of all, we live near San Francisco and the weather rarely freezes so I'm hoping we don't really have to winterize.  We took out he trailer for a one night  trip and used city water and electrical hookup.  We emptied gray and black water but did not do a full flush of systems - no solid waste in the black tank and only one night at that (and our ignorance about such things).   My question is, do we have to empty all tanks including low level water (from hot water tanks etc.) if we won't have time to use the trailer again until December?  

When is the complete flushing and emptying of all tanks required?  How long can you leave your trailer parked without worrying about these things?

Comments

• DebbieDougWDebbieDougW Member Posts: 12
    Also - how can we find out if our fridge is 2-way or 3-way?  Thanks!
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,498
    Also - how can we find out if our fridge is 2-way or 3-way?  Thanks!
    Welcome to T@Bbing.

If you have a clamshell you have a 2-way fridge.  No propane. It works fine but if you plan to camp where there are no hookups you'll have to think about battery management.
    I also live in the SF Bay area and store my trailer in Petaluma. I don't fully winterize but I do drain the tanks if it looks like there's going to be a pretty hard freeze overnight. I don't know that it's necessary but it makes me feel better.

Join the NorCal Rally group:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/NorCalRally/
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
    Do you drain the tanks after every weekend trip?  Or just for long term storage?  Thanks!
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,484
    Regarding the Alde hot water tank - per the manual, you should drain the hot water tank if you are not going to use it for awhile.  You probably don’t want water sitting around inviting bacteria/alge/etc growth, but also, the Alde tank operates with an air cushion.  It dissipates over time, so it will reoccur when you fill the tank anew.

Regarding the black and gray tank.  I know some folks just put an enzyme product (Happy Camper) and leave it sit unemptied - if they plan to use it after a short break.  Same thing with extended boondocking with no dump available.  You need to make sure that there is water in the commode to help maintain the seal and prevent sewer gas from escaping into the TaB.  Also, you must maintain water in the sink/shower traps to prevent odor escaping.  If you dump the tanks, it is not hard to flush them at the dump, then add some enzyme product or some Calgon and Dawn (GEO method) with a gallon or 2 of water.

You should empty the fresh water tank.  Again, don’t encourage any badness in the tank.

For those of us who winterize and put the TaB away for winter, we of course flush, empty, blow and add antifreeze as indicated, then flush and sanitize the fresh water tank and plumbing in the spring.  In your case, I would say anytime you know you won’t be using the TaB for an extended time, follow the above info.  And sanitize at least once a year - just do it regularly maybe before you take it out the first time after a long period of absence.

Hey members who don’t winterize manage your tanks - how do you do it?

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2018
    I added the enzymes that came with the trailer and one gallon of water to the toilet after we got back home.  What is considered a short break --days, weeks months?  I actually don't know if the holding tanks (fresh water) were filled since we only used city water connection.  The dealer said to only turn on the pumps if not connected to city water that the pumps would pump empty tanks if we were on city water.  Not really sure if the tanks were filled or if city water means it goes through the tanks. We used hot water so I assume water was there.    I guess I need to study the manual and look at the set up.   Thanks for the help!!!

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,484
    I think a short break is a couple weeks.  

When you use the gray and black tanks, they say you should fill them to at least 3/4 full then dump to avoid things sticking to the sides of the tanks.  

If you used city water and turned on the hot water faucet until no further air comes out, then your Alde hot water tank was filled.  It is easy to drain any residual out of the fresh water tank - valve is in front of the passenger side tire.  Yes, you only use the pump and your fresh tank when not connected to city water.  The fresh tank is filled manually via the port on the front driver side.

Read the manual and the Forum!

Good luck!

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,408
    During the season I used the T@B about every two weeks. I drain all the tanks after every trip, but don't do anything special to rinse or flush them. I don't bother draining the distribution system or the Alde tank. YMMV.
    2015 T@B S

• BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited November 2018
    After disconnecting from city water & before leaving the campsite, we fill a spare 5-gal tank, then open the kitchen faucet to halfway between hot & cold, then open Alde drain first, then the hot & cold drains near the Alde.  Then close all drains.  After dumping black then gray tanks, we pour half of the 5-gal tank into the toilet, & the rest into the kitchen sink drain for a final flush.  If we used the fresh water tank, we use Jenn Grover's tip to open that drain to left of door step just before pulling away & close it after getting home so it drains thoroughly.
    Having a microbiology & med tech background, I figure no water means no invitation for microbes.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods