Options

STRANDED

We are beginning our 10th day in Evanston Wyoming. Leaving the salt lake city area, the last long climb on I-80 in Utah before reaching Wyoming our tv became disabled. We were towed east into Evanston where the trailer was parked in a "closed for the season" rv park where the owners, who are not here on the property, leave a few pedestals with 30 amp service active for just these emergencies. When it became clear we were not going anywhere soon, we winterized using a tiny 12v air pump. We are using rv antifreeze in the black tank to keep everything from freezing. The altitude here is approx 7,000 ft. The air is thin compared to what we're used to. I haven't left the inside of the t@b, but the husband managed the 1/2 mile walk to the repair shop to retrieve his winter coat. He dares not walk farther. The daytime temps are about 30/32 and nights drop into the teens. Last night's low was 10°F. Today we got a call from the repair facility saying they had finally replaced the transmission, but the problem remains the same. The truck cannot go. We are from the Motor City, and this problem would have been fixed in 24 to 48 hours, but acknowledge that other areas have different cultural norms. However, the fridge is just about empty, we're on our last gallon of fresh water and I'm searching for something white to hang a surrender flag on the antenna pole(we can get 2 regular stations and 1 PBS station which air the same show at the same time).We've been told if it snows, we're toast as the interstate will be closed. If you're passing by, toss us a care packge or stop for a quick visit.
Otherwise, anyone have a phone number for the mounties?
2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    Any chance you can rent a TV to get back home?  Or, find somewhere to store the TaB and rent a car to get home?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited November 2018
    I don't see any car rental agencies in that area, and Uber wants >$200 for a one way into Salt Lake City.  There is a Uhaul and Penske, but I don't know if they rent anything small as a substitute TV.  If you have a PayPal acct and an email address and if 50 people each shoot you $10 that could at least get you to a motel for a while. 
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    We are so remote that there just aren't any of those options. Nearest populated area with those kind of services is salt lake city, over 100 miles away. How to get a rental vehicle transported here? How to get a driver of such vehicle back? Logistics are tough. If we can't get ourselves to store to buy a loaf of bread, well, the rest of it is really difficult. We will manage, but the longer we're here the harder this is becoming. 
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
  • Options
    @DougH, I needed that laugh. At this altitude though, it left me breathless! 
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited November 2018
    The Uhaul in Evanston's web site says they have 10' cargo boxes, but no pickups. 

https://www.uhaul.com/Locations/Truck-Rentals-near-Evanston-WY-82930/050674/
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    And to everyone on the forum, the serenity prayer has become my mantra.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Well, doggonit it!  If I were closer, I’d run over to help you.....well drive, that is.

Hummm....trying to figure it out. I can’t leave here before Tuesday (my truck needs brakes and the appointment is Tuesday), and hopefully you will be out of there by then. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    @Verna, we hope to be out of here by then, too, but we felt the same way a week ago. Haven't given up all hope yet.
    Keep the number for the mounties handy!
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    edited November 2018
    For future reference, AAA premier membership includes 200 mile towing. I started paying for it years ago when I was dragging around a boat all over California by myself.

Good luck!
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    @dragonsdofly. Sorry about your troubles, but I am curious--If they replaced the transmission what are they now claiming is the problem?  Why did they decide it was the transmission in the first place?
  • Options
    @falcon1970,  climbing the pass, the tranny down shifted all the way into 1st. The engine kept revving as the gears got lower, but we had no power. Got to the top of the pass by driving on the shoulder at about 3 mph. That was the maximum forward movement the machine could muster. We stopped on the shoulder where traffic behind us could see us for at least 1/2 mile or more. We stopped eastbound on I-80 directly across from the Utah port of entry (weigh station) westbound. They had the truck for 2 days and test drove it a couple of times. Neither engine or tranny caused any computer codes. They diagnosed internal mechanical trouble in the transmission. Since neither of us is an auto mechanic, we had to go with their expertise.  However, after complete transmission replacement, the truck acts the same, no codes, and the truck won't go.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    They test drove it? Or they tried to start it? It started, but it didn't go forward? 

That happened to me on a 74 Mustang. The timing chain wasn't a chain, it was a gear and the plastic teeth shattered into the oil pan. What a mess. I was dating a mechanic and got the bf discount LOL. That car always started. It just had parts falling off of it periodically, drank oil and sipped transmission grease in the gears (4 on the floor). Ran on steel belts more often than not ... and they were retreads!! 

I know that doesn't help you and I wish I could do something. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited November 2018
    @dragonsdofly I am so sorry about your situation. Regarding food, I googled food delivery for Evanston and there are a few places that deliver, including Pizza Hut.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    @jkjenn, yes we could do that if we could pay for it. Hahaha. The rv park owners took the last couple hundred of our cash.  Cash only as the park and services are closed, but thankfully, we have 30 amp power. We max'd our cc and another family member's from the repair bill. It will take yet another family members cc to buy fuel to get us home.  Seems downright ungrateful to expect to eat on their ticket too. I consider it part of my ever so needed weight loss program. And we can hold out a couple more days. Besides, a sheep and occasional elk graze nearby. As I've told someone else, if the husband gets hungry enough he'll just run over and take a bite, while it's still on the hoof.
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    Check your PM  :)
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    If you think you will still be there, tomorrow, let us know. I posted your need for assistance on the FB group and someone from Utah said they can bring their truck, tomorrow and help.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Folks, you won't believe this, but the owner of the repair shop had a very bad stroke last night and was life flighted to salt lake city. I understand it is so serious that all family members have been called to his bedside. Please direct your prayers in his direction. Thank you. -Denise
  • Options
    Consider it done!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    @dragonsdofly. It is a bit arrogant of me to diagnose this from here, but this reminds me of a problem I had with a Dodge 1500 RAM pickup.  Periodically out on the highway it would lose power and slow down.  The engine would keep running and the vehicle would move at low speed but no faster.  After several minutes of rest all was fine again--until some distance down the road it would happen again.  I finally, after several trips to the dealer, learned that the fuel pump was the culprit.  It seems the fuel pump was located within the fuel tank and is cooled by the fuel.  If I let the fuel level in the tank get lower than about 1/3 full, the fuel pump was uncovered enough so that it wasn't being cooled by the fuel.  When the fuel pump stop pumping the engine couldn't draw enough fuel for high speed.  It would idle, though, since that requires much less fuel.  If your mechanic still cannot resolve the issue you might ask them to check the fuel pump.  It is a long shot, but...!
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    No other much help I know, but there’s a Chevy dealership in Evanston: AutoFarm Castle Rock Chevrolet. We’re certainly thinking of both of you and now the shop owner.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    easttntabeasttntab Member Posts: 48
    I have been following your plight. Contact a church or two. Tell them your needs. When  you find help, post the church's name and phone number for us to provide financial help through the church.
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    What a saga......hopefully things work out.
    You have not mentioned how many miles there are on your TV but I'd venture that a 2005 is suffering from plugged Catalytic converters....if it was a turbo the issue can also be as simple a a rotted hose clamp......, but if they have not checked the cats they should...easy to do by bypassing them and in Wyoming the laws related are very liberal.
  • Options
    @dragonsdofly would you like me to connect you to the person in Utah who offered assistance?

• Options
    easttntabeasttntab Member Posts: 48
    I can help you financially if you have a church there that can facilitate your needs.
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    X2 on checking the catalytic converter. If it breaks down it can completely plug the exhaust system. If that were the case simply remove it and replace it with a straight piece of exhaust tubing till you get home.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    To all of our forum friends and contacts. My initial post was meant to be more tongue-in-cheek than dire. We are experiencing what anyone can when traveling. So many of you wonderful people have offered assistance, advice, expressed kindness and generosity in ways we didn't imagine would be offered. @jgram2, Barb and her companion worker stopped in, and found us warm and safe. The meal they brought was very appreciated, but I have to tell you, we are not yet near death from deprivation. Boredom, maybe, but not from want.
    We just got back from test driving the truck. It still has no power, the replacement transmission won't upshift easily and there is a terrible shaking vibration as we accelerate. It is back in the shop. The computer is not showing any codes at all, which it has done all along. Yesterday the mechanic took the truck to another shop in town for another check out and opinion. Everyone is stymied, but the mechanic is not giving up and is staying late again to see if he can locate the problem. That's all we can ask, is that they fix the problem before they send us down the road.
    Another point has been made by the locals to please NOT post that we're developing tendencies similar to the Donner party, so, no, I wouldn't do that. Hehe. Looks like we're going to be here a while longer, but we're hunkered down, and determined. Eventually we'll be on our way, I hope.
  • Options
    Thanks for the update. Donner party eh? :lol: I didn’t think you had gone that far yet! Dinner on the hoof you alluded to didn’t sound like a meal I’d want to run after though. As long as you have a sense of humor and the basics then you’re still among us, always a good thing! 
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    @Homebodyatheart, please note I didn't say I'd run after and take a bite while still on the hoof, that was for the husband's benefit, whose hunger pangs spring up more quickly and run more deeply than mine. 
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Oh good, they didn’t have to chase the wolves from the door! I’m sure they were relieved.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    edited November 2018
    @jgram2, no, no wolves. But you should see the sheep I've mentioned. It's 2/3 the size of a full grown horse. Everyone comments on our very woolly neighbor.  It seems to gaze longingly in the husband's direction when he's moving outside. I swear it's a carnivore! And when it's looking our way I think I hear the faint strains of dueling banjos. Is that sheep humming?