Options

Boondock Edge or Boondock lite?

I am in the process of buying my first camper and I keep returning to the Tab as the workmanship is off the charts.  I will be doing some mild  boon docking and am l leaning towards the Boon dock model either 2018 or 2019.  In your opinion is the Boon dock Edge overkill.   Thanks Bob

Comments

• Options
    ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 414
    We ordered the Boondock Lite but with the Edge Floor and Front Tire. I think the Boondock is worth it just to have that back end off the ground no matter where you are. I read about people scraping going up a hill or even in their own driveway. And I love the spare tire mount up front. Yes, you can buy add ons but this is locked in nice and tight and you have the extra shelves on either side of the box. And speaking of the box, it’s bigger, it’s more sturdy, it won’t crack.
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    Custom Colors & Custom Interior
    We've slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

• Options
    BLGTABBLGTAB Member Posts: 2
    Mine is for sale, it is a 320-S. Meaning it's in the boondoc line, it has the lifted back end, check me out for more pics if interested.
  • Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    A 320S is not a Boondock.  There is a definite difference in the ground clearance between the 320S and a Boondock.
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    It is my understanding from researching I have done on both, that the difference between the Boondock & Boondock Lite is equipment on the outside and possibly the flooring.  The Boondock has more stuff on the outside like the light bar, etc.  They both have the same ground clearance and off-road tires, and of course, a difference in price.
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    edited January 2019
    To clarify, the upswept back end is common to all non CS T@Bs--it is not associated specifically with the "Boondock" line.
    Other than a heavier axle and increased ground clearance, there is nothing that makes the Boondock models any more off-road worthy than standard T@Bs. Most of the differences are for convenience or cosmetics.
    According to the nuCamp web site, both the Lite and the Edge offer the same larger axle and more aggressive tires. Throw in the front-mounted spare ColleenD2 mentioned and your off-roading ability (such as it is) is effectively the same for both.
    Now, if you want that uber-cool looking Yakima rack and some swanky spotlights for jacking deer while you are out in the willy-wacks, then you may want to pay the upcharge for the Edge.  :-) 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    "cool looking Yakima Rack & Swanky spotlights" LOL
    What is "jacking" deer?  Is that another word for "hunting"?  What's a willy-wacks?  I have a feeling you're from down-under?  LOL

Woohoo!
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    @lkc001, looks like we were posting the same answer at the same time. We'll go with the idea that great minds think alike.  ;-)
    No Aussie here, mate, but those are common terms in the northeast U.S.
    Deer jacking is an illegal method of night hunting that involves "freezing" deer with  bright spotlights--usually in a field--so you can shoot them when they are most vulnerable. (No, I don't approve of it or engage in it.)
    Willy-wacks is another term for "boondocks"--i.e., out in the wilds of nature!

2015 T@B S

• Options
    ScottG--must be a "northeast" U.S. thing---I'm a native Coloradoan and haven't heard those terms:)  but you know that we here in Colorado don't have an accent either, right?  haha!

I can only imagine how turning on that rack of lights full power at night in a dark campground in the forest would endear you to all your camping neighbors, eh??? :o
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    tonyo35tonyo35 Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for all the feedback guys.  It appears that many are suggesting that the Edge may be overkill and for me that light bar is kinda over the top.  I did wonder if they serve any real service besides terrorizing fellow campers.  Love the Jacking deer comments. It is common in the Catskills.  Bohemian Bob
  • Options
    lkc001 said:
    ScottG--must be a "northeast" U.S. thing---I'm a native Coloradoan and haven't heard those terms:)  but you know that we here in Colorado don't have an accent either, right?  haha!
    Ayuh. You folks do tawk some funny out theyah...
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Tonyo— the light bar would be great for backing up in the dark though— it would be like using airplane landing lights!
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173
    Except that light bar faces forward - seems like you'd be looking into the lights as you back up. For me, @ColleenD2's set up is about right. 
    Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
    2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
    2019 Subaru Ascent Premium
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    I wonder what the purpose is for the forward facing light bar?
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I agree with @ScottG comments above, a bit more ground clearance and a bunch of marketing sells Boondocks. Nonetheless I am looking for a 400 Boondock because of the slight increase in ground clearance and the more durable aluminum tub. I have no illusions that the Boondock version is serious off pavement capable, but might prevent ripping the wastewater drains and dump valve off while on a dirt road. The Boondock versions appear to be hot sellers, so likely resale is higher too, hopefully be able to move it faster when time comes and recoup some of the initial extra cost.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    Is there a 400 Boondock version now?  I thought the Boondock was just on the 320S?  I must have missed that model.  
    I like the look of the Boondock along with the increased ground clearance and heavier axle.
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited November 2018
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    O.M.G.---if only I had lots of money laying around--they just keep coming up with more & more options!!!  Fun to look at though!
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    grubbstergrubbster Member Posts: 114
    I pick up my 400 boondock tomorrow.  Very excited. 
    2023 F-150 Powerboost hybrid
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock
  • Options
    you go grubbster!  Congrats!
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    edited November 2018
    I wonder what the purpose is for the forward facing light bar?

I have both forward and rear lights on my T@G and wouldnt be without them.  Aimed properly, they make hooking and unhooking a breeze, work with the generator at night, get stuff out of my front box and the back of my Jeep etc.  I can, with the porchlights on, light up a 360 degree ring around my rig 20 feet out.
    Priceless to me...
    WilliamA 
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
  • Options
    TravelinRosiTaTravelinRosiTa Member Posts: 7
    Picked up our new 2019 T@B 400 Boondock lite today!  Upgraded from a 2016  320 CS-S.  Loved the 320 and took her from Texas to both coasts, but needed a little more room.  Looking forward to being off grid for a few days at a time with the better battery and  factory installed solar.  Thanks to all the experts here who helped with our decision without knowing it ;).  
    Tracy & Sherra
    Dallas, TX
    '19 T@B 400 Boondock Lite/Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    Do let us know how the Grand Cherokee does with the heavier 400. On/In the Trailer & Towing discussion area of course.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 414
    lkc001 a 320S CAN be a Boondock. Anything can, it’s an add on package.
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    Custom Colors & Custom Interior
    We've slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    ColleenD2 said:
    lkc001 a 320S CAN be a Boondock. Anything can, it’s an add on package.
    Correct.

320 is the size of the T@b, "S" indicates that it is a wetbath model. Boodock is the "trim" package, with the off-road features.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014