Options

2019 power cord

has anyone with a new 2019 power cord (that rotates and then locks) had any trouble getting it to rotate enough to screw down the lock? Ours doesn’t seem to want to turn enough to get the lock to line up threads to lock in place.  
2019 320 s T@b white/ black
2008 Honda Ridgeline 

Comments

• Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 584
    I have a 2018 and while I don't have any trouble plugging in the cord and twisting it, which doesn't go far, I do often have trouble with the screw on ring/lock. Just keep trying and you'll get it. Sometimes I think I've figured out the trick, but the next time realize I haven't.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    RobnrinaRobnrina Member Posts: 39
    @dsfdogs thank you, we will just keep at it.  Don’t want to break it!
    2008 Honda Ridgeline 
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,419
    Agree. I'll add that--so long as the plug is inserted fully--actually locking the prongs in place (or not) shouldn't have any impact on lining up the threads of the external plastic retaining ring.
    Either way, that plastic ring is a pain to get started!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Yes, lots of skinned knuckles here, too!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Right! I didn't even mention the little hard plastic corner on the receptacle that is guaranteed to catch your knuckles at least 50% of the time!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Sounds like gloves are in order to connect the electrical locking ring!
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    Sounds like gloves are in order to connect the electrical locking ring!
    Not for me. With the loss of dexterity afforded by gloves I'd never get the threads of that stupid plastic ring to engage!  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,591
    I've given up even trying to screw on the power cord but do make sure the locking prong/pin/blade is locked . . . . . after all it's not like our trailers are moving around as say a boat would be while moored at a dock . . .
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    I've given up even trying to screw on the power cord but do make sure the locking prong/pin/blade is locked . . . . . after all it's not like our trailers are moving around as say a boat would be while moored at a dock . . .
    I agree 100% but just can't help myself and I tighten that ring every time. Funnier still is that I rarely attach the cord anywhere but my own yard...  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I agree with MC above....  As long as you have a good electrical contact things should be fine.  But if you are so inclined, it certainly doesn't hurt to align the plastic threads and screw the ring into place.   It does help however when camped in places like Alaska and along the rim of fire!   =)
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one with the skinned knuckles from that thing!

There are also bayonet grooves in that connector for a bayonet-type retainer ring, but I couldn't figure out any way to retrofit a different ring.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    @ChanW... dare I suggest duct tape? :rofl: Add me to the club with that ring. Some days I get it first try, others I don't, even with clear simple instructions from @ericnliz once. I haven't found any knuckle skinners though.
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Really, why do we even need to tighten that ring?  Short of tripping on the cord, it’s not coming out!
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    Help with any water intrusion?  After fumbling around with mine enough I've marked the fitting and the spot on the Tab where the plugs line up.  Line it up, push and turn, done.  Does take a bit of fiddling to get the screw cover on.  I rotate it in the wrong direction until I feel it "click" in to the proper spot, and then tighten.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 584
    @pthomas745 I think we need a how-to video!

I can't tell you how many times, while struggling with it, I say out loud, "how hard can this be?!"
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    RobnrinaRobnrina Member Posts: 39
    @Sharon_is_SAM that’s exactly what my husband is afraid of, bumping or tripping on it and breaking it! 😂
    2008 Honda Ridgeline 
  • Options
    I lay the cord flat and put any loops under the TaB.  So far so good.
  • Options
    FergieFergie Member Posts: 143
    I too have struggled to get the connector cap on!  When on a long trip stopping at different RV park every night really brings this problem to the front!

I think the basic problem is that the threads of this connector system are too fine for this application thus requiring a perfect alignment with the thread on the trailer mounted socket to get started without jamming (which by the way, if done with enough force, ruins the plastic threads!). It would behoove NuCamp to look at either a different connector locking system or one with courser (and therefore more robust) threads if there is one available.

Fergie

• Options
    I have the feeling the power cables for trailers of all sorts come with one flavor of connector.
    2017 Outback
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,591
    IMHO this is another example of nüCamp using industry standard 'low end' products for their subsystems . . . Alde is the one exception, everything else in a nüCamp product is the industry base quality product just like those used in every other RV (except maybe Airstream) . . .
    I used marine grade 30Amp shore cables for 30+ years on boats - - - they all had metal screw-on rings and they worked 100% of the time - - - it's the RV Industry Plastic Locking Ring that is the problem.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Here is my trick on a Camco power cable plugging into the Tab.  The connector is pretty simple.  Complete the puzzle, line up the three plugs, rotate it clockwise to lock.

But, I always sucked at puzzles.  I realized the Camco logo was the top of the plug, and close to the proper orientation. 

The "M" of the Camco label is essentially the top center of the plug.  I've marked the M and drew a line to the top of the plug, and extended the line to the Tab's power connector. 

The "puzzle" of the three metal prongs is solved at about the 11 o'clock position on the Tab's connector.  I marked that spot on the Tab, also.

All I have to do when I plug in is find the "M", line it up near the 11 o'clock line, rotate toward 12 o'clock, and done.  It does take a slight bit of jiggling to make the three prongs slide in correctly.    Once you get that "M" lined up, everything is very close to connecting.   The entire rotation from 11 to 12 o'clock is about a 1/2 inch, not very far.

The "M"lined up at the "open" position.

And the small 1/2 inch turn locks it in.

2017 Outback
  • Options
    I haven't found any knuckle skinners though.
    Check out pthomas745's photos above. The little pointed corner jutting out right above the blue marks is the knuckle skinner!  :-o
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Agree the threads are too fine.  Because of that I've found that misalignment can result from too tight of a grip or gripping/squeezing only on opposite sides; however, I have better luck if I use a gentle grip with thumb & index finger wrapped around as much of the circumference as possible.  A light touch seems to improve my chances.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    IMHO this is another example of nüCamp using industry standard 'low end' products for their subsystems . . . Alde is the one exception, everything else in a nüCamp product is the industry base quality product just like those used in every other RV (except maybe Airstream) . . .
    I used marine grade 30Amp shore cables for 30+ years on boats - - - they all had metal screw-on rings and they worked 100% of the time - - - it's the RV Industry Plastic Locking Ring that is the problem.
    I agree with what you are saying in concept, but if nuCamp used the best of the best for every application in every trailer it would no doubt drive the cost of these units up considerably.  This is something they do take into consideration into both the build and the design and if a consistent or glaring deficiency is brought to their attention they will look for an alternative and change things to improve the product.  But I agree, the metal coupler is a better setup/product and I had them install one on one of my trailers a few years back and it made life easier.  

As for the application above, the key is to ensure that the male end is snugged up and locked in place on the female portion of the outlet, turn the ring counter clockwise (as was noted above) until you hear or feel it aligning on the threaded female end, then carefully screw it on.  Otherwise trying to force it on and turning it will potentially strip the fine threads on the ring.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Awca12aAwca12a Member Posts: 286
    Our Airstream has the exact same problem as reported here down to the choice of the cable provided.  Plastic on plastic just not aligning properly.  My options with the AS were to upgrade to a metal plug ring or to live with it.  Like Michgan Mike says above, its a choice of where to put the dollars and I'd much prefer the genuine plywood construction investment over a cable that can be replaced at will.  The reality here is that for marine use the locking mechanism is extremely important if only to prevent a live end from ending-up in the water.  With our trailers, the locking is not mission critical.

IF you want a solution that will work then I'd suggest selling the cable on Ebay and buying a Furrion #381638 which is a 30' cord.  We've done this because the 30' is what we've found works best for as the extra 5' solves many placement dilemmas and it happens that the Furrion locking ring works every time.   Our nuCAMP provided cable will go on Ebay shortly so if anyone want's it, just PM.
    F150 Pulling 2019 T@B400 BDL