Options

Today is the day!

Good morning! I’ve been lurking on the boards for a few weeks and today is not only my 50th birthday but also the day I pick up my new T@b 320 CS-S! I’m frankly terrified because I’ve never done anything like this before, but I think it’s time. I’m a cancer survivor, I raised three kids, and I’ve lived and traveled all over the world in almost two dozen countries but seen very little of the US. It’s been years since I’ve backed up a boat or dragged a trailer so this is all pretty much going to be a brand new experience for me but the people at Princess Craft in Round Rock have been wonderful and I’ve learned a lot here and from the Sisters on the Fly I’ve met in my area who own T@bs. I will be traveling on my own with my two little dogs so I really appreciate the tips for solo travelers. Unlike just about everybody else here, I don’t have a fancy new tow vehicle but rather my old dependable Suburban. It’s 22 years old, but I bought it new and personally put the 156,000 miles on it, take excellent care of it, and I love it so much it’s like a part of my soul so I really don’t want to drive anything else. Also, I think they look great together. I’m about to head out now and will send pictures when it’s really, finally mine. Thank you from San Antonio! - Julia
T@b 320 CS-S, Chevy Suburban

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    Julia welcome and congratulations!  You can do this - steep learning curve, but the forum is an excellent resource.  Park it in your driveway and get to know all the systems before venturing out.  Can’t wait for the pics!  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    @JFriedLand welcome to the Tab family, and Happy Birthday Julia! What an exciting day for you, and your pups. My 2017 320S is my first trailer, although I grew up with a tent trailer. You can do this! I second the suggestion to driveway camp first. Try every system, every outlet, everything. There is a learning curve and your first year can seem overwhelming, but if you keep asking questions here and camping you will be an old pro! There’s a saying on this forum “pictures or it never happened!” Enjoy your new journey!  :)
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @JFriedLand See the USA in your T@Bvrolet! Welcome-this is exciting!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @JFriedLand, welcome to the forum, the t@b family and congratulations on your trailer! There are adventures waiting. Happy t@bbing!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 585
    @JFriedLand congratulations and Happy Birthday!! I recently turned 55 and also travel solo with my two dogs. This was my first year. Scary, exciting, emotional...As the other ladies said, I spent time going through the whole trailer and practiced in my garage. I printed out the plumbing and Alde diagrams and compared. I can't say enough how this forum helped as the manuals are not complete, so spend hours here if you can, reading. Good luck!
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Happy birthday and congratulations, Julia! Take a deep breath, know that you will make mistakes, need to repair things in your new rolling earthquake, from time to time, and be prepared to enjoy!

I wish we had Princess Craft, up here in Western PA!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    Congratulations!  We got ours from Princess Craft too. Good people. The TX state parks pass is a fair deal to find camping after you driveway camp a couple times, if you want the luxury of heated showers near your site. There's an official app out there that describes the 95 TX state parks (most with RV camping).  Then UC Public CG can help find all the free or really cheap utility, corps of engineers, and other RV sites for weekend trips from a SA home base. See you out there in 2019...

2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    Good morning! I’ve been lurking on the boards for a few weeks and today is not only my 50th birthday but also the day I pick up my new T@b 320 CS-S! I’m frankly terrified because I’ve never done anything like this before, but I think it’s time. I’m a cancer survivor, I raised three kids, and I’ve lived and traveled all over the world in almost two dozen countries but seen very little of the US. It’s been years since I’ve backed up a boat or dragged a trailer so this is all pretty much going to be a brand new experience for me but the people at Princess Craft in Round Rock have been wonderful and I’ve learned a lot here and from the Sisters on the Fly I’ve met in my area who own T@bs. I will be traveling on my own with my two little dogs so I really appreciate the tips for solo travelers. Unlike just about everybody else here, I don’t have a fancy new tow vehicle but rather my old dependable Suburban. It’s 22 years old, but I bought it new and personally put the 156,000 miles on it, take excellent care of it, and I love it so much it’s like a part of my soul so I really don’t want to drive anything else. Also, I think they look great together. I’m about to head out now and will send pictures when it’s really, finally mine. Thank you from San Antonio! - Julia
    Your Suburban will be a great tow vehicle. You probably won't even feel the T@B back there. Welcome to the club.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    edited December 2018
    Roll on with that old TV, mine is a Dodge Ram, new in fall of 2000 (2001), almost to 300k. Both of us can probably out tow most on this forum AND best thing is much simpler and long ago paid for!! A good condition maintained old vehicle is far more economical long term. I have been told by more than one shop to hang onto mine, newer ones are way more maintenance pits due to electronics and complex systems. You pay the bank, the mechanic or both, no free rides!
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 414
    Congratulations! You’ve got this! Today is the first day of all the best days to come.
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    Custom Colors & Custom Interior
    We've slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

• Options
    ObiruObiru Member Posts: 25
    Congratulations! I’m kinda in the same boat, er RV. I just bought a 2018 T@B 320. First time RV but I’ve towed boats for many years. Find a place where no one is looking LOL to practice backing up. It won’t take long for you to get the hang of it. Good luck and again congrats!
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    A BIG CONGRATS @JFriedLand.........my wife and I are right there with you.  We recently picked up our white 320 S Boondock Lite, which we are pulling with our white 2007 Toyota Tundra.  Still haven't had a chance to take it camping, but hope to soon.

Good idea to go practice backing  up your new camper.  I have done the same.  You may already know this, but if not, the best backing up trick I learned many moons ago is this:  First, place your steering hand at the bottom of the steering wheel.  If you want the back of the camper to go "left," simply move your hand from the bottom of the steering wheel to the left.  If you want the back of the camper to go to the "right," move your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel to the right.  You still may have to pull forward and realign your camper, but knowing this trick made my life so much easier, especially when I was backing in a travel trailer and 5th wheel.  (The T@B is a piece of cake after that.)  Also, I have found it easiest, when possible, to back a trailer/camper into a camping/parking spot in a direction from the driver's side of the tow vehicle (i.e., turning the back of the trailer into the campsite from the driver's side) - - - it provides you with the best visibility.  Enjoy!
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Tabmann400Tabmann400 Member Posts: 22
    @JFriedLand,  Congratulations and welcome to the Tab family.  You have a matching Tab 320 and towing vehicle!  Awesome!  
    Manny & Anne, from northeast Florida,  2018 Tab 400,  Silver with black trim, towed by 2017 Ram 1500
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    welcome...congrats and Happy Birthday!...awesome combo! 
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    siroisssiroiss Member Posts: 10
    Hi! I am a newbie too.  I bought a 2005 t@b together with a 2004 BMW X5 last fall and knowing little about either set out for Florida to settle my dad's 'mobile home park estate'.  (Diabetic cat in tow) - 1 year post cancer diagnosis.  Ok, contrary to wise advice I had no driveway camping experience before setting out.  Yes, there were mishaps -- forgetting to put the oil cap back on the bmw and getting 'turrible' computer warnings, blowing out a window on the trailer because I didn't latch it, not latching the overhead fan in a windstorm.  But I did it.  I traveled through S.A. and had fun getting to know a cousin there.  This country is AWESOME.  Best of luck to you!
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Congrats and welcome!

SOTF #10038, we have a nice group of sisters in WNY, if you ever make it to our area let me know!
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York