Options

Dirty Jobs! BW Tank Management

Hello all,

I am not new to RV camping, but am new to T@bbing.  I downsized from a bunkhouse-style Layton to a 320 S Boondock Lite in early December 2018.  Most of my trailer camping is boondocking only one or two nights every other week or so in the forests of Northern Arizona during the summer months.  Just because I was paranoid that I could not properly manage the Layton BW tank, it was only used for #1 during the nights.  I previously just used an orange-colored enzyme-based BW treatment to keep odors down. 

Now, as DW and I are getting older, the thought of digging a cat hole in the woods is becoming less and less appealing.  So, I am considering the previously unthinkable – going #2 in the trailer toilet!

So, I have been looking over many of the threads on this forum and elsewhere.  I know that plenty of water is part of good BW tank management, but I have become interested in the bacteria-based Happy Camper and RV Digest-It type of products.  I saw that Happy Camper mostly gets good reviews, but I am wondering if it or any such product can dissolve solid waste in the smallish T@B BW tanks (8 gal) and with what is really only a short time to work (a night or two).  Should I just consider the “Double-Duty” types of disposable bags as an alternative given my camping style?

This is a great forum and I look forward to seeing some of you at the T@bazona meet later this month. 

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite a/k/a "The D@wghouse"
2012 Jeep Liberty KK a/k/a "Libby"

Comments

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I'm not sure "dissolving" the solids is the expected outcome (so to speak)!

I thought that the various treatments that are available deal with odor more than anything. 

I defer to those who are more experienced...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Happy Camper advertises that it liquifies waste and paper.  

I think it does take some time to do it’s magic, but it does deodorize, too.  With the limited amount of camping that you do, you may be better off (for the sake of time and convenience) using the bags.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Happy Camper advertises that it liquifies waste and paper.  

I think it does take some time to do it’s magic, but it does deodorize, too.  With the limited amount of camping that you do, you may be better off (for the sake of time and convenience) using the bags.
    I think if after dumping you added Happy Camper, and filled the black tank with water, then drive home and gave the Happy Camper some time to work (in addition to the mixing that happened while driving home) it might be the most effective. I used it for several seasons and was quite happy with the results. I switched to the gel gaba found at walmart because I had spilled some of the powder but I plan on switching back to happy Camper because I feel it actually does a better job, without the perfumery smell.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    DesertDwellerDesertDweller Member Posts: 129
    @jkjenn So, if I am understanding you correctly, leaving the BW tank full (i.e., of "clean" water) for a week or two between camping trips with the Happy Camper added would not be an issue. 

But, I guess one of my other concerns was actually dumping solid waste before it had a chance to "dissolve."  Does it ever get stuck in the outlet pipe or in the hose?   :s  I guess that is where using plenty of water comes in?
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Happy Camper does need time to work, but it is very effective at liquefying solids. So, give it a few hours (as with any other treatment) and the solids will be gone. Happy Camper is the best I have found at controlling odor in the tank. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    grubbstergrubbster Member Posts: 114
    One of the best tips I have read about black tank management is to use a water softener (Calgon) in the tank before each trip with some water.  Sloshing while driving will distribute it around the tank.  The theory is that it makes the solids less likely to stick to the tank and things clear better.  Makes sense.  You can search for "geo method" for more information.
    2023 F-150 Powerboost hybrid
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    We add a bit of dissolved Arm & Hammer Washing Soda to each  tank to soften the water, keep it 'slippery'. We've never had any problem with a plugged outlet pipe, or odor. (We also don't use it that much).

We ''top up' the black water tank with water just before dumping, to make sure it has a fast exit.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    @jkjenn So, if I am understanding you correctly, leaving the BW tank full (i.e., of "clean" water) for a week or two between camping trips with the Happy Camper added would not be an issue. 

But, I guess one of my other concerns was actually dumping solid waste before it had a chance to "dissolve."  Does it ever get stuck in the outlet pipe or in the hose?   :s  I guess that is where using plenty of water comes in?
    I do this onelce and a while for good measure. Otherwise, I just add at the beginning of a trip and dump as normal.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    dinzzydinzzy Member Posts: 180
    Like others have said Happy Camper is very good and I use that.  I also use a “Clean King” back flush device to clean my tank when home.  When I built my home I added a sewer clean out in the area I park the T@B.  I back flush till I see only clear water through a clear adapter.  It takes about (4) flushes.
    Tow with a 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2016 T@B CS-S Max

• Options
    dinzzy said:
    Like others have said Happy Camper is very good and I use that.  I also use a “Clean King” back flush device to clean my tank when home.  When I built my home I added a sewer clean out in the area I park the T@B.  I back flush till I see only clear water through a clear adapter.  It takes about (4) flushes.
    Agree...Flush King is great for that extra clean tNk.

• Options
    DesertDwellerDesertDweller Member Posts: 129
    Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts and experiences.  I have a small container of Happy Camper on the way to give it a try.
  • Options
    dinzzydinzzy Member Posts: 180
    You won’t be disappointed and you know it working because you smell “NOTHING”!  

The others have a smell that’s “trying” to mask!
    Tow with a 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2016 T@B CS-S Max

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    @DesertDweller another vote for Happy Camper here! After two seasons I've never had odor issues, including my dump hose and it's storage tube. I can't tolerate perfumes, and I like to buy from small US (Oregon) businesses. I also really like that it is in a small container, easy to store. One scoop down the toilet, 1/2 scoop down the sink and 1/2 scoop down the shower drain (so 1 scoop in each tank) works well. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited January 2019
    I believe that most of the products out there work effectively and as advertised.  I've used porta-potty style toilets for years and had used the powered Thetford product with success and liked it.  However you do need to be careful when dumping the product from the sealed envelopes and ensure that you slowly dump it into the stool with water or pour it into a jug of water, etc. as otherwise it has a tendency to disperse dust into the air. 

We also add Downy fabric softener and some liquid dish soap (as noted above) to coat the tank and create a slippery surface.   

The real issue comes into play when you are parked in a location for an extended period of time and (this might sound disgusting) material begins to pyramid if you will.  This is why you need to pay attention to the above details, make sure the tank has adequate water to dissolve waste via the tank additive, along with breaking up toilet paper, etc.  

They do make a wand that attaches to a hose that allows you to power wash the interior of the black tank and another thing you can do is open the valve and pour a bucket of water into the stool to create force and break things up.  

I use a short, clear add on section of pipe on the end of the dump pipe. This helps when dumping and rinsing the tank and allows you to see if the tank is clear, that things are working as they should and that all systems are working as anticipated. 
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Awca12aAwca12a Member Posts: 286
    edited January 2019
    Twice a season dump a bag of ice cubes down the toilet of an empty tank before a long trip.  When you get there, do a flush. 
    That and a basic enzyme tablet should be all you ever need to do besides normal flush and dump.  
    We use Walex PortaPak in black tank and Elemonate in grey. 
    F150 Pulling 2019 T@B400 BDL
  • Options
    Let me just add, that if you use gel packs and somehow one breaks nad it is hot outside, you might feel like you were sprayed with bear spray when you go back insode of the T@b from the chemicals....don't ask me how I know this. :blush:

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Oh Jenn, that sounds nasty!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    We all have our black tank nightmares for sure and I don't want to go there anytime soon!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ