Sticking Latch Bolt

BigGroverBigGrover Member Posts: 450
Took our new 400 down south to leave it for the winter.  Used it for three nights and yesterday noticed the latch bolt was sticking a little.I boughf some dry lube and sprayed it but it didn't seem to help much.  Today as we were leaving it would not catch in the striker plate.  I adjusted the striker plate out a little and it is now catching in the striker plate but I still have to play with it to get the latch bolt to come out all the way.  Anyone else had this problem? Just wondering if I need to open it up and put some sort of lube in the mechanism?
BigGrover
2019 T@b 400 Boondock Lite
2018 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi
Central Alabama

Comments

• BigGroverBigGrover Member Posts: 450
    Anyone?
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    @BigGrover Mine was a little rough also.  I sprayed some  Boeshield T-9 in the keyway and then took the inside plate off and lubricated all the sliding parts.  I can't say it is a smooth as silk, but it is much better.  Supposedly Boeshield does not attract dust like WD-40.  Boeshield is pricey but a little goes a long way.
    Thanks, I plan to open it up when we go back down .  I will see if I can locate some Boshield to try.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    My lower screw/bolt on the door tends to loosen. Lacking anything else, I coated the exposed part of the screw threads with fingernail polish. Now I know exactly how far it should be screwed in. If it starts to loosen, I just lightly paint the finger nail polish again....red, of course, in my case ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    @BigGrover Walmart!  I couldn't find any locally--but then where I live nothing is local.
    @Verna  Loctite will hold it in position.  They sell red and blue.  One is for screws that need to be removed from time to time but which you do not to vibrate loose.  The other is a more permanent formula but still can be removed if needed.  I can not remember which is which but it will say on the tube.
    Anyone:  What is the purpose of those screws on the door latch?
  • atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    Not sure, but wonder if they don't help keep the door in alignment while it is traveling.  The cabin can and will flex a bit, even when using the stabilizers you can twist the cabin a bit.  Also might have to do with security.  Just guessing.
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    Grover, might try to take some of the pressure off the stabilizers and see if it works better.
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
    edited January 2019
    Verna,. As I understand it, The screws are to prevent someone from jimmying the door open with something like a credit card or shim device.  They aren't my issue.  It is the latch itself, ii is called a bolt even though it does not look like what an average person calls a bolt.  It is the part that protrudes between the two machine screws you talk about putting loctite or nail polish on.  It retracts into the doir when you pull the handle and slips into the rectangular slot in the striker plate to hold the door closed.  Mine kerps sticking in the door and doesn't easily slide all the way out to kerp the door from opening eithouw some jiggling.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
    Atlas, this occurs even when open.  I am just gonna have to take it apart and see if I can figure out whsts causing it.  May do some poloshing and lubrication
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    @BigGrover, if you haven't done so already, I would investigate closely to confirm whether something in the internal mechanism is really sticking, or if the latch bolt is just catching a bit on the face plate. If it's the latter, a little careful filing/polishing of the face plate opening might solve the problem.
    2015 T@B S
  • rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    Ditto atlasb comments on body flexing and throwing the door frame out of alignment. Body panel expansion and contraction also comes into play. I found that careful tweaking of the door jam and filing of the lock opening coupled with an application of Boeshield (big fan for more than 50 years), solved my problems. Now my RV lock works perfectly in all weather conditions. 
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    And, if in doubt, especially for a brand new replacement T@B 400, @BigGrover, calling the warranty department or emailing warranty@nucamprv.com might be the best choice. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    Couldn't locate any Boeshield but got back down to the camper today.  Loosened the 4 screws holding the inside and outside parts together and the latch worked fine.  Tightened them one at a time and found it started sticking when I tightened the right lower screw.  Backed it off half a turn and everything working fine.  Still plan to completely disassemble and coat with Boeshield when I can find some.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 583
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

Thanks dsfdogs
    BigGrover