Options

Instructions for replacing older glass front window with new Opening window.

I have a 2014 MaxS model with the old solid glass window. Got hit by a rock and distroy it. I called Elsie at the factory and ordered a replacement window. It is the new polycarbonate plastic window that opens. Because of this my old shade would not work so I also ordered the new shade for the window. 

The new window kit comes complete with everything you need. With the exception of instructions. It turns out it was easier then I thought. 

1) remove the old window. 

Remove the the old inside shade assembly.

Take out the screws on the inside frame and the inside frame will come off. Then pull out the outside glass and frame as one piece. 

In the opening, I had to file the aluminum corners to make them more rounded because the factory edges were not clean. This would have made the new gasket not make a smooth turn at the corners. 

2) install the new window gasket. 

The new gasket is a "U" shaped gasket that sides flat on the window frame and covers the inside and outside of the wall. The outside lip has a very sticky adhesive on it that bonds to the outside skin. I fit it so the joining seam ended up at the bottom of the window. Just need to work it slowly around the window as you put it on to make sure it is seated flat on the frame and the outside lip is stuck down nicely. It helps to have a second person holding the gasket as you are putting it in place (it's like a big snake).

One note: the aluminum siding is not attached to the internal frame on the inside of outside of the opening. When I took out the old window there was space between the siding and frame. I though this would be a problem so I tried to glue them together first. That didn't work. It turned out when I got the new gasket I place, it held everything together very nicely. 

3) Attach new window.

The new window has a hinge at the top that the window slides onto. First, slide the hinge on the window and then position the window in the opening over the gasket. Mark the location of the new hinge on the body. Then take off the hinge and attaché to the body. Slide the window back on. 

4) Attach the window latch brackets to the window frame.

the last step is to position the latch brackets on the inside of the window frame so the latches close the window tightly. They are adjustable so I got them close and then made final adjustments so they were snug when shut. They will screw directly into the aluminum frame. 

Attach the the opening support arms to the window frame the same way. 

5) Attatch new window screen on the inside. 

This is is just a matter of centering it over the new window and screwing it to the wall. 

Thats about it! Was easier then I expected. 
John D. 
2014 TAB M@X S series

Comments

• Options
    TardismanTardisman Member Posts: 54
    edited January 2019
    Window replacement. EDITED FOR PICTURE SIZE.

John D. 
    2014 TAB M@X S series

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Great instructions! I had nuCamp do the window swap for me. I love it! 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited January 2019
    Thanks for the detailed description. You've made it look like something worth doing now.

I can't tell from your final installed photo, is the inside frame, ie: "casing", any wider than the original was?  On ours, the factory did a really sloppy job cutting the inside paneling hole when installing the original.

So I'd need a wider casing to cover the sloppy cutout.

Also, what does the new screen/shade assembly look like, installed?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    TardismanTardisman Member Posts: 54
    ChanW,

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the inside casing. The inner frame for the window is aluminum and the outer skin and the inner skin should be lined up with the edge of the frame. On my Tab, the factory did not do a good job routing the corners to line up with the frame. That's what I had to clean up. The rubber gasket overlaps the inside and outside by about
    1 1/2" and covers the cut edges of the panels. 

I don't have a picture of the new shade and screen. It is much better then the original on the 2014. The frame is metal and it is curved to fit the wall. You just line it up on the window and screw it to the wall. I found the new one was a little narrower then the old one and I have a couple old screw holds that didn't get covered up. Just had to patch them. This new shade also has a screen that you would need with the new window that opens. 
    John D. 
    2014 TAB M@X S series

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Thanks John, the 1½" overlap is what I was wondering about, and you answered it!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    MewcycleMewcycle Member Posts: 20
    If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for the replacement window and did you order it straight from nuCamp or through your dealer. I have sent my dealer an inquiry but have yet to hear back from them. Thanks!
    2014 T@B Max S
    2018 GMC Canyon
    Texas Hill Country
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @Mewcycle, if you don’t hear back, you can contact any TaB dealer to purchase a replacement window.  NuCamp will ship it to you.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    MewcycleMewcycle Member Posts: 20
    @Mewcycle, if you don’t hear back, you can contact any TaB dealer to purchase a replacement window.  NuCamp will ship it to you.
    Thanks Sharon! I'll contact NuCamp.
    2014 T@B Max S
    2018 GMC Canyon
    Texas Hill Country