Options

Factory installed solar; swapping PMW controller for MPPT?

2»

Comments

• Options
    ginsbujginsbuj Member Posts: 45
    I have a late 2019 Boondock Edge 320S  with factory solar that has the Victron 7515 and panel on the front of the TAB and a Centential  75 amp hour battery. I've never run low on power except for the week long stay and parked in too much shade. By moving the trailer over a few feet it charged right back to full pretty quickly. Works like magic. My plan is to get a 125 amp hour replacement down the road if it will fit in the tub. Maybe overkill but I like to be over prepared.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    I have a TaB400 with the Sunflare solar panel and Victron controller, model is BlueTab, both are factory install.  That said, the MPPT will show you the rate of charge, and charge history, but it’s battery monitoring is limited to showing when the battery has a load which exceeds charging rate, or is charging or charged and how much current is flowing to the battery, and the state of the charge.  It does not show actual battery load or rate of battery discharge.  For that you need the Victron Battery Monitor that works with the MPPT controller, both work with the same Bluetooth application.  
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    ncarbsncarbs Member Posts: 10
    Where does the battery monitor get installed?
    I have a 2021 400 BD Solo. Do I have to pull off the mattress and unscrew the panel that covers the batteries? I have never done this.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Also see: https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/12835/victron-battery-monitor-install-on-2021-tab-400

Your battery is located behind the center under bunk locker in the new TaB400s.  

You remove the rear center plywood cover under the bunk.  This shows the shunt for the battery monitor located behind the inverter.  Another option is to the left of this photo under the passenger side locker next to the battery (see discussion referenced), where the battery distribution box is, and mount the shunt there.  You still need to remove the plywood cover over the area between the battery and the outside storage locker.
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    Be aware this thread started for a 320 not 400. The Victron Smartshunt or battery load monitor needs to be connected directly to the negative terminal of the battery it then Bluetooth broadcasts to the Victron controller(s) - very nice setup. But on a 400 the batteries are inside the trailer (makes it a lot easier to install) and the 320 has the battery(s) in the front tub. Still a good option and highly recommend this over only reading the battery voltage or the idiot lights on the inside panel.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network