Recommendations for attachable side towing mirrors for Jeep Liberty and a backup camera?

We just recently purchased a Tab 400 and realize we don't have much visibility when it comes to backing up. We're looking for recommendations for attachable side mirrors and a backup camera with monitor. As newbies to the "towing" world, any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited February 2019
    I highly recommend the mirrors below...

I've driven ours without, and feel a bit more comfortable with the ability to see behind the Tab with them.

We adjust the extended mirrors to be primarily focused behind the Tab, and then keep the normal TV side mirrors focused more on the blind spot.

Highly recommend these Dometic ones. They're simple to attach, little vibration, and nice quality. (Note there are two companies that 'brand' these mirrors, and the Dometic brand is much less expensive for the same mirrors). And shop around, the price can vary. 

We previously had some strap-on ones that were a bit of a bother to attach, but these are great..

https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-DM-2899-Milenco-Towing-Mirror/dp/B01C7P7EOU

(There's more discussion here: https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/5950/towing-mirrors )
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • BigGroverBigGrover Member Posts: 450
    Times 2 on the Milenco, you can get different shapes.  I prefer the rectangular ones.  I used them for years pulling our Jayco and T@b 400 with my Frontier.
    BigGrover
    2019 T@b 400 Boondock Lite
    2018 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi
    Central Alabama
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    For those with power mirrors, I really like the Camco "Tow-N-See" mirrors.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-25663-Tow-N-See-Flat-Mirror/dp/B009JC7NRI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1549424312&sr=8-3&keywords=camco+tow-n-see+mirror

A big advantage of the "Tow-N-See" mirrors is that you adjust the view using your tow vehicle (TV) power mirrors, thus eliminating the hassle of manually adjusting the extension mirrors.  The only downside is that when you open/shut your TV door, that tends to knock the tow mirrors slightly out of adjustment (but that occurs with many supplemental towing mirrors).  Fortunately, a re-adjustment is quick and easy with your TV power mirror control.  A convex mirror version is available for the passenger side, but I prefer the regular mirror for a fuller and further-back view of both the camper and other vehicles.  If desired, you can always add a small stick-on blind-spot mirror to both mirrors.  (Blind-spot mirrors are the way to go when towing......they really help when you have to make quick decisions for changing lanes or in emergency situations.)
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    I picked up a wireless (sic) camera and really like it.  I wired the monitor in my jeep to the acc wiring and the power wires for the camera to the trailer running lights.  It has proven to be useful for backing in, particularly at night.  For $100 bucks, it's nice peace of mind.  Keep in mind that most backup cameras have such a wide field of view that they are useless out past 40 feet or so.  Mine does let me kmow when I have a "bumper sticker" hiding back there on the road in my blind spot.
    WilliamA 
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
  • BigGroverBigGrover Member Posts: 450
    Everyone I know who used the Tow n see mirrors has had at least one fall off while driving.  The Milencos are more secure IMHO and adjust them once and done
    BigGrover
    2019 T@b 400 Boondock Lite
    2018 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi
    Central Alabama
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Yeah, I've been surprised at how well the Milenco have worked.
    BigGrover said:
    Everyone I know who used the Tow n see mirrors has had at least one fall off while driving.  The Milencos are more secure IMHO and adjust them once and done

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • ArtistReneArtistRene Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for all your input. We bought the Milencos!