Options

Anyone use thermal liners on the windows?

Our 400 bubble windows act like solar heaters in the sun.  Have been thinking about using silver thermal liners in them but worried the heat might be magnified and over heat the windows causing warping or messing up the air gap in the double panes. I may try to figure a way to cover them on the outside when they are closed and we are using the AC
BigGrover
2019 T@b 400 Boondock Lite
2018 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi
Central Alabama

Comments

• Options
    grubbstergrubbster Member Posts: 114
    Been think about this myself.  I am going to try to figure out how to attach pieces of reflectix cut to size for the windows.  I would like to attach it on the outside when arriving at a campsite.  With the windows open it would make a nice shade awning.  Closed it would keep out the sun and make the camper easier to cool.
    2023 F-150 Powerboost hybrid
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock
  • Options
    BigGroverBigGrover Member Posts: 450
    Exacly what I was thinking!
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I have a couple of rolls of redlectixthat I bought for this purpose. I just need to get around to maki g a couple of templates.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 586
    I use window awnings from Shiners View on Etsy https://www.etsy.com/shop/ShinersView?ref=pr2018_faveshops
    Lisa owns a 320 and does a very good job.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    But can you close the windows with them in place on the window?
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 586
    edited February 2019
    @BigGrover yes you can. I think typically I would have them in the cracked open locked position for ventilation. I close the ceiling vent when the air conditioning is on, but leave two or three windows cracked/locked. (I believe that is what NuCamp also recommends when air is on). The fabric covers the outside of the window, but it's just straps that go behind and velcro close. They certainly don't reflect heat, but do help when sun is beating on that side of the trailer. Also, if it's not so hot you need the air on, and have the windows open, they provide a nice shade.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    I use silver coated heat shield material cut to size for the three windows.  Big help in both summer and winter.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016QURUKA
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    Dsfdogs, I know they recommend ventilation when sleeping and also when using the heat.  Did not know they recommended it for the AC too.

DougH, do you use it inside or outside?  Heat index down here is often over 100 from June - August.  
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    driftlessdriftless Member Posts: 135
    I made exterior shades for our 2018 400.  I modified the pattern that was for the 320 windows.  They worked great in our 320 and now in our 400. They keep the camper cooler with the windows open and we can close the windows, leaving them in the cracked position, while running the air conditioner.  

Happy Trails,
    Phil & Anita - Driftless: 2018 T@B 400/2015 Ford Explorer 

• Options
    NCNativeNCNative Member Posts: 95
    I was thinking the same thing; using refletix on the outside to help with the heat. @driftless do you have a pattern or measurements you can share for your window shades? I am interested in making some for my 400
    N@VENOTSE
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite   
    SF Bay Area
  • Options
    Me too, just trying to figure the best way to attach them.  May try to see if the lady from Etsy can do them with Reflectix.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    http://tabforum.nucamprv.com/#/discussion/7051/t-b-400-window-awnings
    This is a link to my prior post on the awnings.  Sorry no dimensions.  I just measured each window and cut  the material to allow for seams.  Otherwise I followed the pattern for the 320 windows.
    Happy Trails,

• Options
    @driftless Brilliant! Thanks a million, I plan on putting my very basic sewing skills to work!
    N@VENOTSE
    SF Bay Area
  • Options
    @NCNative, no worries, mine are pretty badic as well! 😉
    Happy Trails,

• Options
    We will be at ucamp19 if anyone wants to take a closer look at the window awnings.
    Happy Trails,

• Options
    I suppose the same type of covering can be made with relectix...bias tape around the edges and fabric straps to hold it on, with elastic in the two top corners...
    N@VENOTSE
    SF Bay Area
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    @BigGrover : Inside between the dual panes and the shades.  Downside in the winter is more frost buildup on inside window surface.  Only use them at night in winter; sun provides significant warming in daylight hours. 

In summer any shade to roof or windows helps of course.  Reflectors when shade not possible. Haven't seen any warping of window material with reflectors inside yet.  I think Gone with the Wynns once did an episode of what worked best at Burning Man.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    Walking around the camper looking at the front and side windows it appears there's enough space to hook some elastic straps or bungees around the lip of the window.  I may cut some reflectix and get some elastic cord to make vertical and horizontal sdtraps to hold the reflectix on the outside.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,502
    I use window covers made of of Reflectix for travel and storage. I haven't noticed any damage to the windows.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Marceline, pics?  Did you make them yourself and do you put them on the inside or outside?
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    BigGrover said:
    Marceline, pics?  Did you make them yourself and do you put them on the inside or outside?
    I'm sorry but I don't have pics and I keep my trailer in a storage yard so can't get any for you.
    I have to credit @AldebaranJill for the idea.
    I bought a roll of Reflectix at Lowes and cut it to fit my windows. I put them over the windows on the inside and the window lock tabs are enough to hold them in place.
    It really helps keep the trailer interior cool when towing on sunny, hot days.  
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    Thanks for this great idea!
    N@VENOTSE
    SF Bay Area
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @Marceline, This is interesting. I've noticed that the nice factory installed silver reflective 'blackout shade' creates a lot of heat inside, because it's an inch from the window, and just reflects the heat back onto the interior of the window.

So is your reflectix actually installed on the interior window surface?
    Marceline said:
    I use window covers made of of Reflectix for travel and storage. I haven't noticed any damage to the windows.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ChanW that's why I am looking for an exterior solution!
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    ChanW said:
    @Marceline, This is interesting. I've noticed that the nice factory installed silver reflective 'blackout shade' creates a lot of heat inside, because it's an inch from the window, and just reflects the heat back onto the interior of the window.

So is your reflectix actually installed on the interior window surface?
    Marceline said:

I push it up against the window from the inside. It stays pretty close to the window. It’s better insulated than the roll up shade and I also read somewhere that it’s better to leave the shades open while traveling 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    That makes more sense, except for wind!

BigGrover said:
    ChanW that's why I am looking for an exterior solution!

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    I am thinking i can try elastic cord in a criss-cross set up and see how that works.  
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    IstokpogaIstokpoga Member Posts: 22
    We cut reflectix to fit on the inside while on the road. It flexible, and it's cut just large enough that it tucks between the window and frame. It looks perhaps a bit, well, tacky from the outside, but they stay put and reduces heat tremendously. Windows closed/locked while moving of course. For camping, DW made some nice fabric awnings for the outside of the windows if we need extra shade. Design and specs for those are from a member of this forum, and fit very well. Reflectix gets tossed in the TV at camp. 
    Fred & Victoria with Bichons Venus & Gator; On the shores of Lake Istokpoga, Florida; Tan@Bell@ 2017 Teal & White 320 S towed by a 2004 Nissan Titan and occasionally by GatorRoo, a 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6 L 
    "It's great to be a Florida Gator!"