Options

Insurance

N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
edited April 2022 in Trailer & Towing
I just insured my new 400 with National General Insurance with a rate better than State Farm where I have had my personal vehicles and home owners for decades. Besides the Tab, I brought over my personal car and home owners. From what I can tell very good rates, at least better than State Farm for us. I have never had anything but State Farm since the 1970's on vehicles, so big leap for us! Around $700 yearly for both the Tab and a VW Jetta with full coverage. (No, the Jetta is NOT the TV, that is a full sized Dodge Ram which I have commercial insurance on because I use it for work.) They offer a discount when the Tab is stored and further discounts of course for multi and paying a full year other than monthly, I think that lump sum payment chops about 13% off alone. Even got a small discount because I have a CDL. Anyway, I know insurance is often a topic of discussion here in the forum, so thought I would relate my experience.
2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite

Comments

• Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    Interesting,    Wonder why long time customers aren't rewarded for being Long time customers with lower rates?    We have been Nationwide Insurance customers for somewhere around 30 years as well.    makes me wonder.   Not that my rates are terrible,   but $700 bucks is 700 bucks
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @Cbusguy I think a lot of the old school insurance companies don't have to be as aggressive as someone who basically operates online with few if any sticks and bricks local offices. Downside may come if you need to talk to a local person in event of claim.

I don't think State Farm is bad and locally I had shopped others like Farmers who couldn't touch them. My homeowners part is about a $10 a month savings, the Tab and car together are about $15 more than the car alone was, so I think overall savings might be around $30 a month? After 40 years it feels a little strange to swap and who knows, we may be back next year.

I am a bit surprised at what insurance companies have access too, just with a name and DOB, pulled up mortgage records, insurance claims, driver licenses and records and all kinds of other info. They pretty much can evaluate the risks right while they are on phone with you.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    RambleCamperRambleCamper Member Posts: 1
    My 2016 Tab Max-L insurance is coming up for renewal soon -- State Farm currently for $325 annual payment, and the agent commented, of course the trailer would have depreciated a lot in value in case there was a claim. It's mint. -- Has anyone researched insurance extensively and found a best combination of excellent coverage and reasonable cost? -- Thanks
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    There is often a difference in covering a travel trailer as part of your auto/home insurance vs a stand alone policy.  We have State Farm for all our insurance needs except our TaB is insured through Progressive.  Whoever you shop, make sure they understand that you are insuring a travel trailer NOT an RV/Motorhome because Liability is then provided by your auto insurance.

Progressive offers Guaranteed Total Loss Replacement which protects your investment from depreciation within 5 years of purchase.  They will replace it with a non-previously titled trailer of the same model year or later or you can choose to be reimbursed the actual cash value.  Once the trailer is older than 5 years, they cover the agreed upon purchase price as noted on the policy contract.

Progressive offers Vacation Liability that provides liability protection in case someone injured themselves at your campsite or in your parked trailer.  Very important if you travel with a pet.  (Most auto policies only cover liability when hooked to the TV.  

They offer Replacement cost of personal contents left in your trailer.  Think expensive camera, smartphone, or all that expensive camping gear that you store or travel with in the TaB.  You specify the amount of coverage.  Most home policies will cover trailer contents, but not at Replacement cost.

SF liability would only apply when the trailer is hooked to the TV.  we are covered while in storage or at a campground when we are not attached to our TV.  Our contents are also covered when not attached, whereas, they are not covered via our auto policy unless attached.

Roadside Assistance is provided if you are within 100 feet of a road or highway including towing and/or the TV is disabled.  So, your TaB will not be left stranded on the side of the road.

Inquire about what constitutes “Full Time”.  If you travel a lot, you may be surprised how that changes your coverage options.

Regarding the issue of RV collision insurance.  The reason we have a specific RV policy with Progressive as opposed to covering our TaB via our auto insurer (State Farm) is because we are covered while in storage or at a campground when we are not attached to our TV.  Our contents are also covered when not attached, whereas, they are not covered via our auto policy unless attached.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    edited September 2020
    I have State farm and I think I pay ~$100 annually for a high deductible ($1000) collision and comprehensive policy. With the T@B wrapping up it's sixth season, I may very well drop it after a few more years. (Liability while in transit is covered by my automotive policy.)

There are lots of variables, not least of which is the level of risk you are willing to assume.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    We have State Farm for 5 vehicles, house and an umbrella. We're at about 220 (liability is from the TV's policy). We didn't go w/ a high deductable mainly as I haven't tried to reduce it as it's a small proportion of our total. I'm going to talk to my agent about getting down to 100 now though...
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    CCCCCC Member Posts: 116
    edited April 2022
    Do you typically use your auto ins co. for the RV coverage or are there specific companies to look at? Just north of Atlanta, GA.

But planning a long trip out west after labor day.
    2022 T@B 320 S Boondock  "UGA", Jeep Gladiator Overland
    North Georgia
  • Options
    Flybone89Flybone89 Member Posts: 59
    Hi CCC - I think a lot depends on how happy you are with your current carrier and their coverage/cost. I have USAA for auto insurance, and I actually wanted to get my trailer insurance through them but instead they have partnership with Progressive Insurance for trailers. The coverage and price seemed reasonable and it includes roadside assistance too, but I also admit I did not shop around - I never deviate from USAA :-).

Kevin
  • Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    I also have USAA for auto (and home in my case) and discovered as @Flybone89 did, that they do not cover trailers, boats or motorcycles directly but rather partner with Progressive. The USAA rate with Progressive for my 320 was under $150 which seems to be reasonable, though again like @Flybone89, I tend to stay with USAA and don't do much comparison shopping.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Progressive is good. They even have a clause to cover your pet care if needed.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Roamy400Roamy400 Member Posts: 19
    I had Allstate for years and switched to SafeCo, (division of Liberty Mutual), they have all of mine now.
    House, 2 cars, motorcycle, Tundra as well as 2020 T@B400. They were able to cut my auto policy price in half with same coverages, house stayed the same price with better coverage.
    2020 T@B 400 Solo (Roamy)/ 2008 Tundra Limited / Nashport, Ohio
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    I have our 2018 320 BD with USAA on my auto policy.  I’ve had USAA over 20 years.  I’ve never had a complaint, always great customer service.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.