Options

Boondock Edge or not to Boondock Edge?

T@bs are rare in my part  of rural Florida, but I found a slightly used 2018 Boondock Edge at a somewhat nearby dealer. As a trade-in, the price is reasonable too. But my 2012 Mazda CX-7 is only for 2000 pounds and an Edge leaves me less than 200 pounds for gear. And I REALLY like the front aluminum platform on the Boondock

The use for the trailer is:
-To give us more evacuation alternatives if we have another Hurricane Michael (we didn't evacuate for Michael because we couldn't fit all of the animals, their gear and spare gas in our two vehicles).
-To attempt to give my spouse one less excuse not to go camping (he HATES tent camping). But that means two adults and 200 pounds of dogs in the car, leaving little room for gear.
-A solo travel trailer for me, to save hotel costs when I go to paint-outs around the south.

A basic T@b 320 S, at 200 pounds lighter is probably a better fit for my car. But the Edge is such a deal!

How absolute are towing standards since I'm not planning to drive in mountainous terrain? And most of the time I can put the gear load in my car (see exceptions above). Is there anything that can be safely and easily removed to lighten the load? Are there any modifications I can make to my car to raise the load it can haul?

Or should I continue to work on the fact that my hubby really wants an excuse to trade in his Mini Cooper for a Jeep Wrangler? Then again, I'm not sure a Jeep will fit our giant 140 pound dog. That's why we have the Mazda.

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,499
    There are plenty of discussions on the Forum regarding towing beyond the limits of your TV.  In general, most members use TVs with a 6 cylinder engine and a tow capacity of 3500#.  The question should not be “Can I tow”, but rather, “Should I tow.”  

You need to consider:  1.  Engine wear and tear, 2.  Insurance coverage if involved in an accident and you are caught towing beyond your limits, 3.  Can you effectively control car/RV when responding to an emergency maneuver, 4.  Can you suddenly stop without jack knifing the RV?

You did not mention tongue weight limits, but assuming your TV is limited to 200#, you may run into problems with that limit, especially once you load the car and TaB.  

Jeeps have their own set of tow limitations, so I would check out the Forum Jeep discussions before you go that route.

There will be folks who will tell you to go ahead and ignore our US tow ratings that are often defined based on our higher allowed driving speeds.  Please consider your and others safety with your decision.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    IMHO, I think you are too close to the towing limits with either T@B with your current tow vehicle.  The extra 200# for the Boondock Edge won't really change that.  Since FL is basically flat, you might be able to get by till you can get a more appropriate tow vehicle.  I tow a Boondock Lite with a 2019 Jeep Wrangler JL (new model) and it works well.  If I was to do the tow vehicle over, I'd get the Grand Cherokee which has a tow rating upwards of 4500 lbs in some configurations, and for about the same price as a Wrangler.  If the cost for a Grand Cherokee is a bit steep for you (then the Wrangler would be too), then consider the Jeep Cherokee which has a tow rating of 4500 # with the 3.2L V6 and proper tow package. There are obviously lots of other great tow vehicle options out there, including many small and 1/2 ton trucks.
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    IMO you are too close to your tow limits with that vehicle to tow safely, plus it would handle squirrly.  You will be at the tow limits by the time you get just humans & dogs on board, not to mention gear & water.  Be safe--get a vehicle with a minimum tow rating of 3500#.
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    Agree. Two-hundred pounds is essentially splitting hairs. Even with a plain vanilla T@B you may well still exceed your capacity when you factor in gear and supplies, a battery and full propane tank, and the possibility of fluids in your three holding tanks.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    SneakleSneakle Member Posts: 131
    Don't forget a brake controller for the car.
    Tab 320s Boondock
    TV: Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    morey000morey000 Member Posts: 155
    Sneakle said:
    Don't forget a brake controller for the car.
    oh- they don't weigh much.  :)  (sorry, couldn't resis).   

but- to the OP's question.  A battery (if you have just one), will weigh 65lbs.  A full propane tank, another 37lbs.  Water- another 100 to 150lbs.  You WILL be over 2000lbs.  We'd all tell you that you're marginal with that TV... except that you live in FL, where it's super flat.  You might be able to get away with it?  But perhaps look at a T@G, or an Aliner Ascape (1500lbs) https://aliner.com/campers/   or a popup?
    Silver on Silver, 320S '19 Outback Lite
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861

How absolute are towing standards since I'm not planning to drive in mountainous terrain? And most of the time I can put the gear load in my car (see exceptions above). Is there anything that can be safely and easily removed to lighten the load? Are there any modifications I can make to my car to raise the load it can haul?

Or should I continue to work on the fact that my hubby really wants an excuse to trade in his Mini Cooper for a Jeep Wrangler? Then again, I'm not sure a Jeep will fit our giant 140 pound dog. That's why we have the Mazda.
    This is a question asked frequently on the forum.  A better question for people considering it is, "what value do you place on safety, your life and the safety of others?" You can get most loads rolling down tbe highway, but the more weight added into the trailer and tow vehicle, the more difficult it becomes to stop the entirety of the mass.  Weight creates push, weight creates friction, friction creates heat, impedes steering capability, components like transmissions, brakes, tires, etc. are impacted by all of the above.  I have replaced a transmission via the factors above, experienced push and losing the ability to stop adequately and experienced steering deficiency and braje fade as well.

I wouldn't cut corners to save a few $$$, nor would I pull a trailer with a less than adequate tow vehicle and jeopardize the safety of my loved ones, and anyone on thd highway, etc.  Lifes too short to cut corners.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    GreatWhiteNorthGreatWhiteNorth Member Posts: 57
    I think that's a very good point.  We bought a used Nissan Frontier V-6 truck for a tow vehicle, that came with the tow package (rated for 6500 lbs).  It tows the T@B easily, has lots of power, AND strong brakes.  Personally I think making do with light duty cars & SUVs as tow vehicles is very hard on them, accelerates wear, and is less safe.

Daryl 
    2004 Dutchmen T@B T2 (fiberglass!)
  • Options
    CPloegCPloeg Member Posts: 3
    Thank you everyone for all the advice. I could not lure my spouse into trading in his beloved Mini for a Jeep, so bye-bye T@b. And I can't justify trading in my Mazda and spending so much money for what is essentially a toy. So I'm looking at the T@g and other tiny teardrops. However, by going that small, I'll never get my very large spouse to give camping another try. I've looked at A-liners, but I just don't feel that the quality is there. Trade-offs.
  • Options
    LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    CPloeg said:
    Thank you everyone for all the advice. I could not lure my spouse into trading in his beloved Mini for a Jeep, so bye-bye T@b. And I can't justify trading in my Mazda and spending so much money for what is essentially a toy. So I'm looking at the T@g and other tiny teardrops. However, by going that small, I'll never get my very large spouse to give camping another try. I've looked at A-liners, but I just don't feel that the quality is there. Trade-offs.
    I know you have already logged in on the T@G forum, but supprisingly, give you hubby tye benefit to try the T@G.  It is possible to organized a side tent on a T@G and be very confortable i. The trailer to lay down, rest, read a book, watch TV and have a really ggod night sleep.

you will see with time.  :)
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    CPloeg said:
    With the doors on both sides, a T@G could be more comfortable for a big guy.  Also, I imagine that a big guy might be more comfortable with the outside clamshell kitchen rather than stooping over the inside T@B kitchen (I don't think that the clamshell T@B is really an option for a big guy because of its smaller bed). A T@G with a side tent could be a comfortable set up. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab