Which solar port to install, and can solar ports be used to connect a battery tender?

After much reading, I came up with a plan:

I bought a Renogy 100W Portable RV Kit, and will have two Crown CR-220 6V batteries installed in a 23" RVLockbox, that will be mounted on the hitch in front of the t@b plastic propane tub.  OK so far?

Renogy technical support politely refused to give advise on solar ports, probably because they won't recommend things they don't manufacture or sell.   

There are several brands offered online.  Is Zamp the best and/or only applicable option?  If so, which Zamp port should I buy?  If not, are there other ports to consider? 

Can Zamp or other solar ports be used to connect a battery tender, so the battery box lid doesn't have to be left open?

Thanks for any and all advice!   
2018 320S - 2017 V6 Toyota Highlander - Port Townsend WA

Comments

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    The Zamp port defaults to reversing the polarity. The simple solution is to swap the connections at the battery. The Noco Genius comes with an SAE connection, whichnis the same as the Zamp.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    @Campwise, I assume Zamp still uses an SAE adapter plug.  Since nuCamp used to place Zamp ports in the TaB tubs, you may be able to still purchase a port from nuCamp.  Although convenient, my DH thinks the connection is not as durable as it should be and we are looking to make a change.  So, whatever plug you choose, you can find an appropriate adapter, too.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/6230/zamp-solar-connections-explained
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    @Campwise, I assume Zamp still uses an SAE adapter plug.  Since nuCamp used to place Zamp ports in the TaB tubs, you may be able to still purchase a port from nuCamp.  Although convenient, my DH thinks the connection is not as durable as it should be and we are looking to make a change.  So, whatever plug you choose, you can find an appropriate adapter, too.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/6230/zamp-solar-connections-explained
    I have used a trolling motor port. What a pain. Goal Zero has the right idea, solid connections, but I hate the proprietary plugs. My last portable setup included the use of Anderson connections. I used the ring terminal connections for my battery charger because the Noco brand has a quick connection for it. I liked the Anderson connection the best for a combination of ease and strength of connection. 

As an FYI, I ha e ordered some cables and custom connections through https://powerwerx.com and they deliver really solid crimps and connections. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    X2 on the Powerwerx.

Keep in mind that moving two batteries forward on the tongue will raise your tongue weight. You'll possibly have to compensate with more weight toward the rear of the axle.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    edited March 2019
    I have the Renogy suitcase and I installed a standard SAE connection that I also use for my battery tender.

‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    Solarseller.com. Inexpensive source for components. 
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    edited March 2019
    This subject has been a bugaboo for folks since before I joined the forum in 2015. As others indicated, Zamp wires their SAE connectors differently from manufacturers of other products, including the popular Battery Tender charger/maintainers.
    Fortunately, managing this is not nearly as complicated as it it often made out to be. Just pay attention to what you are connecting to what. Make sure that positive is always connected to positive, and negative to negative. Use a multimeter with a continuity tester if you have one, or just visually trace every wire back to its post on the battery. Purchase, install, or modify your connectors as needed to match the proper polarity for your equipment and there's no way you can go wrong.  ;-) 
    2015 T@B S
  • mdvaughnmdvaughn Member Posts: 10
    I purchased a Zamp port and did the same install as rcuomo. Inexpensive, easy install, and so much more convenient.
    Doc & Valinda
    2019 T@B Boondock Edge