Options

Hail Protection / Solar Panels

DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
They're calling for hail tonight.  80F right now in DFW Texas.   ARGH.   :s

The full trailer covers don't offer much protection (I have the dings to prove it), and last year I lost a couple flex panels to the dreaded stuff.  So I'm starting to try and see if dense foam is enough to keep flexible panels alive when golf ball or baseball sized stuff falls. 

Bought two rolls of Northern Tool's Ironton 7.7' by 3.8' anti-fatigue mat to get just over a half inch of possible protection, then covered everything with a couple heavy duty tarps.  Small enough to carry with me for hail on the road.  Time will tell.  They do have inflatable large camper protection systems for hail, but they're too bulky to carry on the road, and kind of pricey to boot.

What do the rest of you do for hail out on the road, especially if you've got panels? 
2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    We would use the rug from the tent.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I have used the patio rug at my house, with ratchet straps to hold it in place. I would do the same while on the road. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM @Verna :  Almost went that route this morning when DW and I were looking at a large wool rug we had in the garage.  We were just worried about it having to dry back out.  But I guess a plastic patio rug that just shakes out and rolls up would do the trick.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @DougH, always keep a large (39 gallon is best) trash bag with you to carry the wet rugs back home. Or, you can purchase a large nylon zippered bag from Amazon or Camping world that you can transport a wet rug in. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Ratchet straps are a good idea, too!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    The 320 fits easily in this as an alternative... 

https://youtu.be/1HyAq3tLXlw

• Options
    gbellgbell Member Posts: 88
    We get bad hail in Co, so when parked at home.. insulation foam boards from hd. 1/2"x8'x4'  duck tape the 4 together, with 2 people you can cover the whole t@b top front to back. Tie them on.put 1" of same foam boards on sides and cover with t@b cover tie all together. So far it has prevented damage by large hail.  (1/2" foam boards vs 1" on top because it curves naturally to t@b.) Been thinking of two layers of 1/2," cause we can get egg size plus hail.
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 923

Shelter Logic portable  garage - ~$200 @ Harbor Freight

Not much hail here but lots of snow......

• Options
    ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 411
    @rfuss928 can you tell me more about this cover and how you keep it from blowing away? I see concrete blocks. I am not handy so if you can be super specific, I think I can figure this out. We are getting our first house YAY but no garage and I’d feel better with more than our classic cover over it. We have. 2019 320 but with the Boondock package. I don’t mind squeezing it in there by hand.
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    We slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 923
    edited March 2022
    ColleenD2 said:
    @rfuss928 can you tell me more about this cover and how you keep it from blowing away? I see concrete blocks. I am not handy so if you can be super specific, I think I can figure this out. We are getting our first house YAY but no garage and I’d feel better with more than our classic cover over it. We have. 2019 320 but with the Boondock package. I don’t mind squeezing it in there by hand.
    I used a Shelter Logic 10x15 Portable Garage purchased from Harbor Freight.  The legs were bolted to the concrete blocks with Tapcon concrete bolts.  The blocks provided the added height needed to fit the T@B and weight to help keep it in place in the wind.  Your Boondock model will need additional height.  Larger blocks are available.  I also drilled holes through the blocks to allow fiberglass driveway markers to be placed through the blocks into the gravel to prevent them from sliding around when bumped or nudged by strong winds or the snow blower.  I also added a few diagonal wooden braces in the interior to help stabilize the frame and help support the snow load.  After about 4 years the fabric cover began to deteriorate and tear at high stress points.  By then we knew the T@B was here to stay and I built a more permanent shelter.

Overall I was very satisfied with the portable garage and how it protected the T@B.  Congrats on the new home.  Have fun!
    Bob

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    rfuss, the garage building for your TaB, is very nice and looks like it will handle any type of weather.  Happy camping
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    How frequent is hail?  Up north we might get hail once a year, and even then it's tiny
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 997
    Hail is very common out west here in Colorado.  I believe it is also common across the mid west.   It can get very large down in the Denver area and can destroy roofs, cars, windows and RVs.  It is common up in the mountains where we live but being at 10,200 feet it does not have the distance and time to get very large!  Pea size is about as big as it gets at our place so it generally is not damaging at all.  Denver can see marble to golf ball size and sometimes larger hail.  But I do wish NuCamp would use a fiberglass composite roof instead of aluminum.  It stands up to hail much better than aluminum.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    I agree on the fiberglass roof. Was in Colarado with Winnebago and big hail hit. Even damaged the flexable sewer line but roof was ok. Sure don't want my T@B roof needing a replacement! Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge