Options

TaB 400 - 3 Way Refrigerator Experience

ToadToad Member Posts: 9
I am interested in hearing from individuals who have actual experience with the 3 way refrigerator in the 2019 T@B 400.  There is a lot of information and there are lots of opinions posted about the 2 way (120V/12V), but nothing really about the fridge with the added propane.  I am purchasing a 400 Boondock this weekend and would like to have whatever info. anyone might want to share about the larger refrigerator. FYI, I currently have a 2012 T@B which I purchased new (I am going to miss her), that has a 3 way fridge in it.  I am trying to decide if I should stick with a 3 way or try the 2 way.  I hope to boondock once in a while, so I'm leaning towards the 3 way.  So, anyone have the 3 way and do you like it?

Comments

• Options
    Hi, me again.  Many individuals have read my post above, but no one has a thing to say about the 3 way fridge in the 400.  Does anyone have one yet?. Will I be the only one? Any comments please. Thank you.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I have the two-way.  I think there will be a few three-ways, but,it was introduced at üCamp18 in July 2018, and not announced until a few months later after all the aesthetics were addressed. So, there probably aren’t many out there. 

I’m sold on my two way with the upgraded AGM batteries. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    peterac50peterac50 Member Posts: 67
    Hi, I have the 2019 Boondock which I ordered with the larger 3 way fridge. I did not want to get on my knees to get at my food and I wanted more room not to mention a freezer for ice. I will not be going out for a few more weeks. The snow in Vermont is finally melting. So I will post a review when I have used it for awhile. But I never had any trouble with the 3 way in my 2018 320. Worked effectively  in very hot weather on electric and gas. So I am hoping this larger model will prove effective too. 
    Peter and Nicki; Quechee, Vt
    States Visited Map
    2019 Tab 400; 2019 TV Honda Ridgeline
  • Options
    Thanx for responding.  I was also thinking that perhaps there was no response to my inquiry because the 3 way fridge was so recently introduced into the 400.  I'm glad you like the 2 way.  How long do you think your fridge would remain cold if you were boondocking?  I am purchasing a 400 Boondock Lite tomorrow and am having quite a time of it trying to choose a refrigerator.  It appears that the 2 way fridge is super efficient, but some people say they hear the compressor when it turns on.  I am a very light sleeper and I fear it might keep me up at night.  As I said in my original post, I purchased a new T@B in 2012 which I absolutely love, however I never really loved the 3 way fridge (it makes the camper a little warm as well as the food ). After new fans were installed problem was solved but I don't know if there would be the same issue with the 400.  Side note: Glad to see your TV is a Tacoma.  I have a the same model Tacoma that you, except it's a 2017.  I was wondering how well your truck tows the 400?  Do you use a sway bar?  I never had to use to pulling my little T@B, but didn't know whether I should think about using one now.  Thanks in advance for any information you want to share.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I am not bothered at all by the two way fridge compressor. I only hear it ocassionally when I am actually listening for something outside (birds, burros, etc.).  You'll love that the extra weight of the 400 means it is more stable while towing, and in high winds while camping.   I do live in the T@B 400 full time so I've had plenty of time to acclimate to the normal sounds.

My Tacoma has 67,000+ miles, most of it towing. it tows the 400 well.  No sway bar, no WDH.  I did add Firestone air bags and compressor to the rear end because the Tacoma tends to squat when towing.  

Gas mileage takes a hit, but it gets about the same gas milage as the big 8 cyl Chrevrolet trucks. I find the sweet spot is 60 mph or lower, which is fine for me on the two and four lane state and federal highways I prefer to use. 11 to 12+ mpg at 60, 8 to 9 mph at 65. I'm in no hurry. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @Toad we were there a few months back, all things considered we went with two way, due to efficiency reports and we got the solar also so should be good off grid. The loss of that closet space where storage is at a premium weighed heavily in the decision also.

The 3 ways just started showing up at dealers maybe Q4 2018.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    Thank you, Peter.  I’m actually purchasing my 400 tomorrow in Rutland, Vermont,(same place I bought my 2012 T@B), so will not benefit from your findings, however I am sure many others will be wondering how well the 3 way is working in the 400. Good luck with your new camper and thank you. 
  • Options
    Wow, thank you all for your insights.  Verna, thank you for the added info about the fridge and towing with the Tacoma.  I feel like I'm getting closer to a decision...flip a coin! Seriously, thank you all.
  • Options
    ADRawliADRawli Member Posts: 199
    edited March 2019
    We have the 400 with the 3 way fridge. Only had the trailer 1 week, but for the two nights we stayed in the trailer as we worked our way home from Mississippi to Texas we had no trouble sleeping at all.  There was a slight hum occasionally as it cycled, but not disturbing in any way. We were on shore power overnight, and the water and the few groceries we had in it stayed cold for the entire ride home. I believe we had it running off the battery while moving/traveling (not sure), and we still had ice in it when we got home.  No boondocking yet, so I can’t really speak to that.  We just knew that we’d not want the constant stoop to get down to the 2 way.  The only hard thing for us was to give up the closet space.  We have slightly more drawer space probably, but a closet would have been nice.  However, I think it was still a good trade off for us as having the larger volume fridge at eye level will be even nicer.
    Alan & Natalie       McKinney, TX
    nüCamp:  2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    TV: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 4x4    

Dream big... work hard... never give up.
  • Options
    A & N thank you for letting me know about your recent experience with the 3 way fridge.  I love the look of your T@B and TV together, very nice.  Enjoy your new toy and again, thanx for the info.
  • Options
    cotracyecotracye Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2008 with a 3 way. It worked for one year then never again. I sort of works with my solar and battery but if I have no electric hook up the propane will not kick on.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    Are you level when you attempt to use propane on the frig?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited April 2019
    @Toad ; Purely anecdotal story, but I have never been able to light our 2015 T@B S Max Norcold on propane (even on level ground) and I've heard others have to light theirs from outside. Wasn't a big concern since I preferred to run it on electric anyway.  Also didn't care for it freezing everything when camping in sub-freezing temperatures.  Finally, on my most recent trip the compressor or something else in the fridge died so it won't cool on AC or DC either, though it draws power trying.  So while it's a different model, I've not been impressed by the Norcold 3-way.  Love everything else about the T@B, but not the Norcold 3-way fridge. Looking forward to taking it out and replacing it with a larger electric only. But 3-4 years for an RV fridge might not be that unexpected. And we might have just gotten the one unlucky fridge that came off the line that day. 
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    greggillgreggill Member Posts: 45
    @toad I like a few others purchased the 400 with the 3-way but have not had a chance to try it. I'm hoping in 2 weeks to take it out for the first time. I did have a 320  with the 3-way and was happy with it so hopefully the experience will be the same.
  • Options
    grubbstergrubbster Member Posts: 114
    I have the 3-way in my 400 and have been out twice now.  I have been happy with the size and have not had any issues running of any power source.  So far the only negative have been the loss of the wardrobe, the noise, and air infiltration into the camper.  We have worked around the loss of wardrobe by finding other places to store clothing.  As for the air infiltration I noticed it in colder weather.  The fridge is not sealed into the opening inside and I can actually see outside through the 1/4 inch gap around it.  Eventually I will fill the gap with some kind of caulking or insulation.  The noise comes from when it cycles off and on in the night.  I am quite noise sensitive but it is probably something I will get used to over time.
    2023 F-150 Powerboost hybrid
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock
  • Options
    Thanks to all.  grubbster- I will be picking up my new 400 on Thursday and now that I have heard from you regarding your first hand experience with the 400's fridge, I will know what to expect.  I will be taking a trip in it during the first 10 days of May and have been a little anxious about the fridge and the larger sized 400 (I have only pulled the smaller T@B and a few boats).