Options

Outback Yakima Basket

GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451
 In our search for an Outback to purchase we've come to the question of why is the Yakima basket mounted backwards on most of the trailers we see?  The solid black area is the wind deflector.  It is there to deflect the wind up and over the items in the basket.  Do all dealers put it on backwards for a reason?  Maybe as a spoiler as in a 1970's muscle car to keep the rear down at speed?  Maybe some other reason?  Thanks.

2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
Odessa, Fl.  

Comments

• Options
    NHCraigNHCraig Member Posts: 26
    edited March 2019
    Just a guess, but the basket was designed to be mounted on a car top in a horizontal position.  At the angle on the rear slope of an Outback, having the spoiler in front might actually catch more air and make it less aerodynamic.

• Options
    NHCraig said:
    Just a guess, but the basket was designed to be mounted on a car top in a horizontal position.  At the angle on the rear slope of an Outback, having the spoiler in front might actually catch more air and make it less aerodynamic.

We've seen it mounted correctly and though a slighter angle it still does angle up to properly deflect up and over.   Just wondering if there's a reason we're not seeing.

Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,435
    Maybe that configuration helps keep smaller cargo items from sliding out the bottom of the basket.
    I seriously doubt airflow dynamics were a major factor in the decision, but what do I know. If you are so inclined, flip the basket around and see if your gas mileage improves!  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Jaxie985Jaxie985 Member Posts: 49
    The wind deflector can easily be moved to the forward rail on the basket—although a ladder is needed. I’m going to move mine. i’m mounting a bike rack next to it so will have the ladder out anyhow. 
    2018 T@B 320 Boondock 
    2018 Nissan Frontier
    Kennebunk, ME USA
  • Options
    targtarg Member Posts: 81
    Which reminds me...
    Has anyone ever seen a rooftop box mounted on the rack instead of the basket?  There are a couple threads that talk about doing it, but I can't find a picture of anyone doing it.
    The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice. | -REBEC OF GINAZ
    2019 T@B 320S BD Lite, Jeep TJUR, Jeep JT

• Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    edited March 2019
    In our research the roof rack and basket are pretty pointless with only 150 pound rating and part of that being sucked up by the weight of the basket and tire 

I am not sure I would trust even a poly kayak or canoe......ended up scratching it off our list

@targ I looked into it and the roof boxes can weigh 30 pounds on their own and I am not sure about the funny angle the wind would be catching it.   
    That was initally our thought to put a box on it.    But with the funny angle everything will pile on the bottom and you will probably need a ladder to load it.    Don't know if it will work safely or not
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    I believe I’ve seen a maximum of 75# for cargo in the Yakima. We still carry our spare there, then some camp chairs and a rug. As stated, the box itself would eat up much of that 75#.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    jgram2 said:
    I believe I’ve seen a maximum of 75# for cargo in the Yakima. We still carry our spare there, then some camp chairs and a rug. As stated, the box itself would eat up much of that 75#.
    Yakima states 100#, Nucamp states 75# due to mounting method. My tire is still there, a trenching shovel and two bikes. I adjust for the added tail weight by loading other items inside trailer forward of the axel, along with 12 additional gallons of drinking water & my tool box on the front mounted outrigger. My tongue weight comes in around 210-220#.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    napjerknapjerk Member Posts: 7
    We bought a 320 S and bought the basket separately and installed it ourselves so the wind deflector is on the top. 
  • Options
    This is a result of the Yakima basket being mounted backwards.  The water pools in the fairing/bar, bar rusts out, drains rust water on the back of trailer.

Odessa, Fl.