Options

'Drip Edge' for the front tub cover hinge edge

ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
edited March 2019 in Modifications & Upgrades
Sealing the darn gap between the front of the Tab and the battery/propane tub....

After having gotten the bottom of the tub mostly closed up with a new floor, the gap at the cover's hinge edge has been allowing way too much snow and rain and leaves into the tub, messing up our new battery space!

Home Despot carries a garage door seal that works, it has a slight el shape, it's made for outdoors, so it's probably UV resistant, etc. (hope!)

(It took some nerve to drill holes in the Tab body....)

A carpet & flooring transition edge was perfect for mounting the seal against the Tab body.

The back edge of the cover swings upward when it's closed, and presses against the rubber seal. The rubber is pretty stiff, so it should be good against the weight of wet snow, and hopefully it's also good against the wind while sailing down the highway at 65!

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
2014 S Maxx
2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya

Comments

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    Looks pretty nice @ChanW.  You must have nerves of steel to drill into the camper body.  How did you decide where to drill.....do you think you got the screws in to part of the metal frame? 
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    @ChanW if you hadn’t already, I would only suggest that you seal the screw holes to keep water from finding its way into the tab. Just a dab of calk in the holes then set the screws in. Just a thought! ;)
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,527
    Very clever idea!  @ChanW, don’t you cover your TaB?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    @Bayliss, the reason there are so many screws is because I expected to only be depending on the Azdel (Adzel?) to hold them. But then (after I'd already drilled the trim piece) I found I was drilling into framing! Very lucky.

Yes, good point about caulk, @4ncar. No sense in pressing my luck! But I think I'll wait til the weather is a bit warmer.

We do cover the Tab @Sharon_is_SAM (well, this year was the first year, anyway). And then the weather got so nice, I just had to uncover it (and try to finish the various mods I'd started last fall)... Of course, the next day we had a nice windy snow, which found it's way into every nook and cranny, and reminded me of 'mod priorities'...

I'm pretty pleased with how well the seal turned out. Now I hope it snows again, just to see if it works as hoped!  ;)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Well done Chan!  I might consider this mod as I'm getting a few cactus leaves and dust in mine too.   =)
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Mike, I doubt there's any cure for cactus leaves... I hear they stick like nothin else.  :o

And I think the dust yer talkin about is the the kind that will find its way through the space shuttle airlock. Hopeless fighting it. Just learn to use it for tooth powder.

You'll just have to come back to the great white north to take advantage of civilization's conveniences!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    OMG, drilling the holes to install my outside Lagun bracket was nerve wracking enough. Will continue to remove leaves when they accumulate.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Yep, @Photomom! And then I broke two bits off in the wall! Nerve-wracking!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya