Annoying tailgaters

What kind of camera can I get to keep an eye on tailgaters on two lane roads? I don’t need a back up camera that only works in reverse but one that works while driving. Or is there a set of big mirrors I can buy that will let me see behind?
2017 Tab 320 S
2014 Mazda CX 5
Traveling very light to be kind to my transmission.

Comments

• TerryV6TerryV6 Posts: 945Member
    edited March 25

As for mirrors, there are extensions you can buy for very little that snap onto your existing ones.  I had a pair and they worked well. 

https://www.amazon.com/Fit-System-3891-Universal-Trailer/dp/B001AJH1HK/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=Extended+View+Tow+Mirror&qid=1553533659&s=gateway&sr=8-4
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 [email protected] S
    [email protected]  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• falcon1970falcon1970 Posts: 229Member
    edited March 24
    Check out an outfit called NuVending (nuvending.com).  Despite the name they have nothing to do with nuCamp.  Look for 

NUCAM WR WATER RESISTANT HD WIRELESS CAMERA WITH NIGHT VISION, MAGNETIC BASE & BUILT-IN BATTERY

The magnet is one seriously strong magnet but there really isn't anything on a TAB to attach it to.  I fabricated a steel plate and attached it to a quick-release plate to mount it on my tripod.  I set the tripod on the bed pointing out the window.
    The camera is really a nice camera.  It gives a good view behind but only has a 100 degree field of view.  That however is enough.  By the time a passing vehicle leaves the camera view it is well into my side mirrors.
    The really nice thing, in my opinion, is that it does not require a monitor mounted on the dash.  The signal is sent via bluetooth to your cell phone or iPad.  You can record the signal on your iPad or phone to review later if needed.
    The internal battery is usb rechargeable and the camera will function while plugged in.  So far, for me, the camera batteries have lasted over 10 hours of continuous operation without being plugged into a USB port.  A full charge (they say) takes 4 hours, so plenty of time overnight to recharge.
    It is a bit pricey at $210.00 but has worked well for me.
    The view is about like the view on a vehicle backup camera--"objects may be closer than they appear'--but you soon adjust.

• ScottGScottG Posts: 2,869Moderator
    edited March 25
    Barring mirror extensions or rear view cameras, a gentle wag of the trailer will afford you a momentary look at what's behind you. Sometimes it also has the additional effect of encouraging the tailgater to back off a bit.  ;-)  Bends in the road are also good places to steal a glimpse out back.

Of course, neither of these techniques are as good as upgraded equipment, but they do help if it's all you have to work with.
  • rcuomorcuomo Posts: 170Member
    2018 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, purchased 9/17
    Mods- spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan
    TV 2017- Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow capacity, 600# tongue capacity
    Home Base- Huntington LI
  • jkjennjkjenn Posts: 5,222Member
    I went with the Swifthitch camera. It comes with a pretty nice stainless steel ball with adhesive to mount to the [email protected] It works really well

Jenn Grover | 2015  [email protected] S Max Silver/Turquoise Trim | 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk v6 | Nights spent in [email protected]: 180 | Pittsburgh PA

• N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Posts: 366Member
    I have never had an issue knowing when someone was back there even when completely in the blind spot, I usually see them coming up and or going around curves, etc. On long straight Roads they usually just go around. If there is someone back there (even one), I usually start looking for a pullout, unless I know they will have a passing lane, long straight stretch, etc. Coming up in less than five minutes.

You should already be towing with enough mirrors to see down both sides, if not correct that, any wider mirrors may help, but not much if traffic is totally behind the trailer.
  • NHCraigNHCraig Posts: 17Member
    Any backup camera will give you a rear view mirror if you wire it to power rather than the reverse (blue wire) lead.  I've done that on mine.  The only thing I had to work out was that at first I wired it right to the 12v power lead in the box.  Then, it's on all the time, which means the LED lights are on all night!  So I ran it to a plug in the battery box that I can connect when driving, disconnect when not.  I like the security of feeling like I've got that rear view mirror again.  The only thing to get used to is that things are a lot closer than they appear, since the camera I've got is meant as a backup camera.
  • ChanWChanW Posts: 2,200Member
    edited March 27
    I actually have found that 99.9% of drivers have been completely reasonable about our 'presence' on the highway. Polite & patient. 

It surprised me at first, I expected folks to be in a big hurry, and intolerant, but no!

I take the same attitude as @GatorEgg, and pay attention to what's ahead of me, letting the folks behind me do the same. I've got enough to worry about here up front!

I'll keep a close watch in the side mirrors for 'passers', but that's all I can really do, is be aware.
    Chan       --         Buffalo NY (Beau Fleuve)
    2014 'S' Maxx - 2011 Tacoma 4cyl Access Cab
  • MarcelineMarceline Posts: 443Member
    edited March 28
    I think that the main reason for wanting to see what's directly behind you (as opposed to in an adjacent lane) is knowing whether it's time to start looking for a pullout to let people pass. But usually that kind of road has plenty of bends where you can use your side mirrors to check if there's someone back there. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S [email protected]
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
  • jkjennjkjenn Posts: 5,222Member
    ChanW said:
    I actually have found that 99.9% of drivers have been completely reasonable about our 'presence' on the highway. Polite & patient. 

It surprised me at first, I expected folks to be in a big hurry, and intolerant, but no!

I take the same attitude as @GatorEgg, and pay attention to what's ahead of me, letting the folks behind me do the same. I've got enough to worry about here up front!

I'll keep a close watch in the side mirrors for 'passers', but that's all I can really do, is be aware.
    And truckers are pretty good at flashing their lights 9s you know you are good to change lanes.

Jenn Grover | 2015  [email protected] S Max Silver/Turquoise Trim | 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk v6 | Nights spent in [email protected]: 180 | Pittsburgh PA

Way better to kill your lights off, on to signal safe to move over. Flashing high beams is frowned on because it blinds the driver if they are looking in the mirror. Most trucks have an "interrupt" switch to momentarily kill power to the lights.
  • LuckyjLuckyj Posts: 253Member
    Ok, so what is behind you is important.

emergency vehicules often comes from behind and all bit police cruiser have the acceleration to pass when ever they want.  Some roads are just way to dangerous to attemp passing w/o the vehicule in front slowing down or moving a side just a tad.  

But all this can not happen when you just look foward, thinking that what is behind you is none of your worries.

i am a Paramedic and a traveler.  In our neck of the wood, we only have one road and it is a two lane with only a couple passing area, many turns and many hills!  And that road is more than 400 miles long, no divided highway at all, no service road, hardly any dirt roads parrallel to this.  So sharing the road is very important.

so not taking care about what is behing you, when you are simply driving around, and site seing at the same time ( yep, the panorama is also very nice) creates a lot of frustration to the people following, and at one point, some will take a chance and double when it is not the right time.  So seeing what is behind you allows you to slow down a bit when a passing area is available, and or move a bit to the side and slowing down will let some drive by in a safe manner.

it will not prvent tailgaters, but it will rduce pressure from time t time.

the paramedic in me will thank you by hazzard blinking of some kind of signal light if I am in my personal vehicule.  :)
    2017 [email protected] Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
    @Luckyj YES! Don't be oblivious to traffic except immediately in front of front bumper, DONT speed up in passing lanes, if anything slow down more, always pull off at 1st safe pullout when impeding traffic, how much traffic is a judgment call, but more than two probably indicates you are a problem and the more backed up behind you, the more frustrating for others and the more chances for unsafe passing, especially frustrating if you are ignoring safe pullouts. You can't control how much others tailgate, only how much you tailgate, just be a courteous driver instead of a me 1st driver and that is about all you can control.
  • MarcelineMarceline Posts: 443Member
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    @Luckyj YES! Don't be oblivious to traffic except immediately in front of front bumper, DONT speed up in passing lanes, if anything slow down more, always pull off at 1st safe pullout when impeding traffic, how much traffic is a judgment call, but more than two probably indicates you are a problem and the more backed up behind you, the more frustrating for others and the more chances for unsafe passing, especially frustrating if you are ignoring safe pullouts. You can't control how much others tailgate, only how much you tailgate, just be a courteous driver instead of a me 1st driver and that is about all you can control.
    True story:
    I used to haul a sailboat up to a lake at 7500' each summer. I did this for 10 years so I knew the road pretty well.
    One year I was trucking up the mountain and there were a couple of guys in a beat-up old pickup truck in front of me who ignored every pull-out for at least 10 miles. I'm sure that it never occurred to them that the chick hauling the boat wanted to pass them. 😂
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S [email protected]
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
  • TerryV6TerryV6 Posts: 945Member
    Well, I'm always a courteous driver, driving the speed limit in the right hand lane.  It is the speeding tailgaters who are making it unsafe.  What kind of person inches up to a foot behind your vehicle?  
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 [email protected] S
    [email protected]  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• b407driverb407driver Posts: 32Member
    edited May 15
    Anyone ever see or try something similar to this solar license plate cam? Just saw it at Costco yesterday, $125. Stated range is "33' with no obstructions", so not really sure how likely it is to work. Note that the pics don't show anything but a flatbed utility trailer, and the few Amazon rating don't look great (connection issues).

However, this option on Amazon looks to be rated quite a bit better, but needs to be hard-wired. I assume the Tab400 has a license plate light, anyone know if that's a valid option (compared to brake-light wiring)?
    2020 [email protected] Boondock Lite w/solar ordered, mid-May delivery!
    TV is 2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD, wish me luck...
    Jeff --Front Range of Colorado
  • JEBJEB Posts: 137Member
    I'll let you know.  I have one of these on order, but only because Costco has such a good return policy.  I am skeptical that the license plate light and the camera placement can coexist peacefully.  But I'll give it a try.

I see from the manufacturer's website that it released new firmware in November 2018.  I am hopeful that the bad reviews are because the prior firmware was buggy and the update corrected the connectivity issues.
    2019 [email protected] 400 Boondock Lite
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Diesel
    Excellent, I'll be curious to hear. I thought about just buying it as well, knowing I could return it.
  • JEBJEB Posts: 137Member
    edited May 16
    No joy. The top of the frame where the camera is mounted sticks out too far to get it up and under the license plate light. Thus, there’s no way to install it using the existing license plate screw holes. There are two tabs included with the kit that I suppose you could use to lower the whole frame and license plate, but I think the camera would then block the light that illuminates the plate. You wouldn’t be legal to drive it at night.  Drag. Back it goes. 
    2019 [email protected] 400 Boondock Lite
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Diesel
    Bummer, thanks for trying!