Options

2008 TaB - Using the kitchen in foul weather?

Sam452Sam452 Member Posts: 16
edited March 2019 in Tips & Tricks
As we build experience in our 2008 T@B, I'm asking to confirm or inform us about our observations of using the kitchen in poor weather. Despite what my manual says about the gas stove, it seems that I must use lighter/match to start the flame. And that if there is more than a mild breeze that it can go out. Examining underneath the burners, it seems to me that the sensors in the back are to be used with the safety cut off. Meaning that I have to depress the gas knob when starting and hold it down for a while before letting go after it catches fire to ensure that it will stay lit. It seems the sensors are checking that it is hot and if so, when I release the knob, it will stay lit. Otherwise it will cut off the gas supply.
If that's true, then any kind of wind will prevent it from sensing the fire and when I release the knob, the gas will cut off. 
Am I off base here? What is your experience about the gas stove in wind?

Secondly, I'm assuming that if there is any kind of rain that it's not advised to open the kitchen door? With a moderate amount of rain, we find that when opening the kitchen that water drips in from the flashing from the roof. What should we expect about using the kitchen in rain?
T@B CS 2008
States visited with our TB

Comments

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    When using my stove in could weather... I will have at least one window cracked and the ceiling fan on.  I never leave my door open in the rain, unless the side tent is up. Over all have not had any issues with keeping the stove lit.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    What is the stove brand and model?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @Sam452 You have a clamshell, with the outdoor kitchen, right?
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 923
    You description of the stove operation is correct.
    The breeze interfering with operation in the clam shell and T@Gs has been discussed.  Solutions are generally similar to this:

We manage in light rain all the time, shielded by the hatch.  The hinge cover prevents dripping in the kitchen deflecting most of the water to the sides into the channels along the inside of the hatch opening.  Many folks have tents or canopies they set up over the kitchen area.
    Have fun!
    Bob

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @jgram2, I am glad you picked up on the clamshell.  I thought he was talking about the main door to the inside kitchen!  

@Sam452, please add a "CS" notation to your signature line so we all know you have the clamshell.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    I'm not sure if the dripping in the kitchen you reference is through the hinge but, make sure your T@B CS has some version of the updated hinge cover.  Early versions without the cover have had numerous problems related to water intrusion through the hinge.  I'm not sure when the factory made it standard.  Many were updated.

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @rfuss928, since your T@B wasn’t built by NüCamp either, did it come with that hinge cover or did you mod it?
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    jgram2 said:
    @rfuss928, since your T@B wasn’t built by NüCamp either, did it come with that hinge cover or did you mod it?
    SUNT@B was one of the last DM clamshells.  The hinge cover was factory installed.

• Options
    Sam452Sam452 Member Posts: 16
    @Sharon_is_SAM Our sink is SMEV sink, Model MO0911. Just like @rfuss928
    photo. Except for the wind breaker. When you show the photo of your hinge, I assume you're pointing to the rubber gasket? We certainly don't have that. Will have to study that to see how to fit. Thx all for sharing your experience!
    T@B CS 2008
    States visited with our TB
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I had an earlier Clamshell that didn't have the hinge cover. I bought a length of 3" wide EDPM rubber and had my dealer cut it to length and install with weather stripping above and below the existing hardware.

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL