Options

Preparing for Boondocking in T@B 400

Jax0913Jax0913 Member Posts: 64
Hi Everyone! 

We recently upgraded to a 2018 400 Wahoo!!! We have a few trips planned this summer to the ADK in New York and will be off the grid. I've been doing a lot of reading and research on battery capacities, solar, monitoring, etc. Our unit doesn't have the factory solar, so before making any commitments to solar I know I need to have a better understanding of our battery needs. I have been looking at posts on different monitors and wanted to see if it is really worth the buck for the Victron BVM-712. 

Does anyone have experience with this? https://www.amazon.com/bayite-6-5-100V-Display-Multimeter-Voltmeter/dp/B013PKYILS/ref=pd_cp_267_4?pd_rd_w=VT3OO&pf_rd_p=ef4dc990-a9ca-4945-ae0b-f8d549198ed6&pf_rd_r=7ZZKCK4Y782WGW31JDG4&pd_rd_r=e3232512-56d3-11e9-9c56-b9e9f5e85b72&pd_rd_wg=FgpVD&pd_rd_i=B013PKYILS&psc=1&refRID=7ZZKCK4Y782WGW31JDG4

I was also looking at a simple 12volt system like the Innova 3721

Thoughts?? 

Thanks! 
2018 T@B 400
2020 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,527
    My 2 cents.

You don’t say how much boondocking you plan to do, but if very limited like 3-4 days, with your large battery capacity of 225 amps and some conservation, you may be able to get away with any inexpensive monitor.  Be aware that monitoring voltage is not the best way to assess battery state of charge, but it will get you in the ballpark (the Innova).

If you went with the Bayite monitor above, and you decided to use solar,  you will need 2 displays as they do not read reversed current.  You would need 1 display to monitor battery discharge and one to monitor charge current.

I think you first need to decide your commitment to solar.  If you go the solar route, instead of purchasing a separate monitor and solar charge controller, you can now purchase a smart solar charge controller that uses bluetooth and your phone as a monitor. 

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    @Jax0913, I think somebody posted very recently about the installation of that monitor you linked to (or one very similar). Poke around or do a search and you should be able to find it if the OP doesn't chime in here first.
    Whether it's worth the buck for a fancy Victron really depends on you. I mostly dry camp for 4-8 days at a time and have gotten by nicely with a cheap Innova plug-in monitor. You do have to be a bit of a battery whisperer and understand the monitor's limitations and be able to interpret what it's telling you, but it works.
    That said, if you thrive on data streams and like tech stuff, you may very well find an expensive monitor worth the coin. It's your camper and you can enjoy it any way you want.  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,700
    I think this is the thread Scott G is thinking about.  Looks like there are many "copycat" monitors like this.

I hope in your research you have run across JkJenn's blog about power management for the trailer.  I find the entire discussion completely worth the reading, especially the spreadsheet that describes the power usage of the Tab's electrical things.  (I think someone has done the same type of spreadsheet for the 400, but I doubt they would be significantly different.)

Like Scott explains, before I bought a Victron recently, I had learned some "battery whispering".  Every time I turned something on in the trailer, I remembered what was on the spreadsheet and thought about my battery use. 

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    For the most part, my solar controller tells me most of what I need to know while I’m here in the land of sun. It’s conveniently located above the controller in my T@B 400. I do have the Victron, also, but it’s not as conveniently located, although I do use their app on my phone rather than push the buttons on the Victron. When I move the Victron, I will use it more. 

I’m sure when I leave Southern Arizona and have to deal with trees and shade on my built-in solar panels, I’ll access my Victron App more frequently.

Since I’ve been using only solar power since early December (except for about 7 days with electrical sites), I have figured out what takes the most power to operate on solar, and I use those sparingly, except on sunny mornings when the batteries have time to produce more power. 

What takes the most power on the 400?  The built-in inverter is the largest energy user. I bought a smaller 150W Pure Sine Wave inverter for my satellite receiver and to charge my laptop. I cannot charge my DeWalt batteries on the small inverter, so I charge them on sunny mornings with the larger built-in inverter. The 2.7 cf fridge is actually not an energy hog. The 12V TV takes very little power, as with most of the lights. I still charge my 4 Luci lights outside every day and that is actually all of the lighting I use in the evenings. I also use solar powered motion sensor  lights outside, rather than using the porch light. 

I know I’ve given you more info than you asked, but I hope it is helpful. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Thanks guys! So many helpful responses. I would say I am definitely 100% committed to adding solar. Our first boondocking trip will be over memorial day weekend so it is just 3 days. I was planning to use this trip to monitor and assess power needs and uses. Over the 4th we will be in the ADK for 4 days and think we might be maxing out our capabilites, but maybe not. 

I was looking at the Renogy 100watt suitcase which has a built in solar controller: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NADR1CI/?coliid=IT1K4AKWJQ8PO&colid=5GY6RGI22F94&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    Awca12aAwca12a Member Posts: 286
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,527
    @Jax0913, the usual recommendation from solar gurus is to have the charge controller close to your batteries (prevent voltage drop).  Yes, you can get the convienently mounted controller on the suitcase, but, it may not be ideal depending on your use of solar.  You will have more options if you purchase your suitcase without the premounted charge controller.  You can then purchase whatever charge controller and/or monitor system that you like.  Not to say that the premounted controller won’t work, it just limits your options, or creates more work if you decide to use another charge controller in the future.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM Thanks for insight!! 
    2018 T@B 400