Recommendations on Indoor/Outdoor thermometer

ADRawliADRawli Member Posts: 199
edited April 2019 in Products and Accessories
I recently added this ThermPro Indoor/Outdoor Humidity &Teperature monitor to my T@B 400.  

It was not real expensive... under $20 I think, but I’ve had a real tough time finding a good place for the outdoor sensor unit.  I first mounted the base/monitor on the same wall and just below the Alde control panel, thinking it would be good to have it there to monitor the inside temp accuracy of both the Alde and the Dometic. I next mounted the outdoor sensor to the back of my LP tub, but found that the base station could not maintain the connection, even though the direct distance was only 6 or 7 feet.  The unit I bought claimed to have a 330 foot range, diminished 50% for each wall between the base and the outdoor sensor.  The batteries are fresh, so that’s not the issue. I figured maybe the diamond plating might be the problem so I brought the units together to verify I could still make a connection, then velcro’d the outside sensor to the trailer frame directly below the same wall the base was mounted on, just to the left of the entrance step.  Again, after a minute or 2, the connection was lost.

So, I’m putting my puttering around on hold, and bringing the question to you all:  what system and solutions have you found successful for monitoring and displaying an accurate indoor and, more importantly (to me at least), outdoor temperature/humidity from inside your nüCamp transport@bles?
Alan & Natalie       McKinney, TX
nüCamp:  2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
TV: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 4x4    

Dream big... work hard... never give up.

Comments

• klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    I bought this one from AcuRite.  Indoor temperature plus 3 external sensors.  I use one sensor for an additional indoor sensor, one for outdoor (hung below the belly pan), and one for the fridge.  Seems to work quite well. 

https://www.acurite.com/multi-sensor-thermometer-with-2-indoor-sensors-and-1-outdoor-sensor.html
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    edited April 2019
    I have ordered the outside temperature sensor for the Alde from my dealer, will be installing it when I get time (maybe May), relative inexpensive and then read both inside/outside on the Alde panel. It is plug and play onto the Alde board, only difficult part may be wire routing?
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    ^^ Do you have the part number?
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 909
    edited April 2019
    I installed a unit very similar to this in SUNT@B.  It has worked flawlessly for years and provides a lot of useful information.
    The temperature sensor is wired.  I placed it just inside the grill in an outside vent.
    I think this is a newer version of the same unit.

SUNT@B's data center

Have fun!!
    Bob

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    From Amazon, a 4 sensor plus interior thermometer.
    1-inside fridge
    2-truck glove box
    3-ARB (it is +3 * above the ARB display)
    4-front tub (it’s in the shade and doesn’t get as hot there as it would outside) and it also shows the inside temp as a rolling display on #4. (79.8* currently outside at 9:30 am)

Knock on wood, it’s 3 years old and doing well. 

On my 400, I have it across from the door using Command Strip Velcro. In my 320, I had it on the wooden valence above the door side (passenger side) window, above the end of that window, using the same Command Strip Velcro. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • ADRawliADRawli Member Posts: 199
    @klenger @rfuss928 @N7SHG_Ham @Verna  Wow, great solutions/suggestions one and all. Thanks for all the input!  Really glad to see there are multiple options that work.  I’m going to keep puttering to get a solution working for us as well.  The amateur weatherman in me must be appeased!  Don’t know if I’ll go to Bob’s awesome “everything-o-meter” extreme, but who knows?   Thanks, and keep the ideas coming.

• N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @klenger UK link, but US deaers can get these: https://www.outdoorbits.com/alde-outdoor-sensor-cable-25m-p-6143.html My dealer has one on order, about $25 USD.

Quote from NuCamp service for part and labor was $500, that was more than I wanted to pay. It plugs directly into an existing plug on the Alde, only labor is getting it outside and mounted. I may discover that $500 was a good buy, BUT I just don't see this being that hard to DIY.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • DesertDwellerDesertDweller Member Posts: 129
    @Verna  When you get a chance, could you please post an Amazon link to the unit you use?  When I searched, there were multiple choices.  Thank you.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite a/k/a "The D@wghouse"
    2012 Jeep Liberty KK a/k/a "Libby"
    @Verna  When you get a chance, could you please post an Amazon link to the unit you use?  When I searched, there were multiple choices.  Thank you.
    I’ve had mine for two years, and the face seems to have been updated.  You need to go through 4 or 5 pages to get to it on Amazon. Resizing cut off the price $55.94 plusl $8.55 shipping. Ambient Weather is the name brand

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • DesertDwellerDesertDweller Member Posts: 129
    @Verna  Thanks much.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite a/k/a "The D@wghouse"
    2012 Jeep Liberty KK a/k/a "Libby"
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
    @Verna  To verify, you’ve never had any issue picking up the signal from the sensor you say is mounted in/on your LPG tub?  That’s where I tried to put mine at first, but found I could not pick it up.  And if I understood you correctly, your monitor/base is mounted on the 400’s angled wall to the right of the bathroom door?  If so, I’ll try hanging mine there too, to see if it’s possibly the placement of my base station, which is currently 1” below the Alde’s Control panel (which I guess could possibly be a source for interference).  Unfortunately, because my HOA wont let me park my T@B at home, it’s tucked safely in a shed about 20 minutes away, meaning access is not always as easy as running out to the garage. I’ll check when I get my next chance.  Thanks!

@ADRawli I have never had any trouble with picking up the signal from the front tub. I actually have two sensors in there. When I sold my house, I put the house’s larger indoor/outdoor station next to the bed, and it still picks up the signal from the bed area.  Try changing the batteries, or at least remove the batteries, wait 15 seconds and put the back in....like a computer reboot. 

I’ve only had trouble with the ARB, sometimes. There’s no consistency as to when it will show and when it won’t. I do believe that the thickness of the ARB walls has something g to do with it. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    @Verna I got some suggestions on ways to make mine work better from ThermoPro support. But, if that doesn’t work I may jump ship and go with an offering like the one you use. Thanks for all the feedback.

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    For anyone having a new trailer built, the Alde add-on outdoor sensor is worth the money, gives a constant readout and eliminates the need for another gauge.  

I also had the Alde battery backup installed and it allows you to hold your settings without the need to re-set the thermostat each time the unit is turned on and off.

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    @ADRawli ; Thanks for the ThermoPro suggestion!  I duct taped the sensor to my propane tank (professional installation), and replaced the old AcuRite (no backlight) model I had near the other monitors.  Really like the touch sensor for the backlight and the yellow color (instead of blue or white) for night use.  All the experts say don't use white and never use blue lights to avoid interfering with sleep patterns.  Yet so many RV or RV appliance makers keep using blue or white lights (sigh).

2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

@ADRawli, it’s so nice to have all 5 temps in one place. I’m glad to have helped and glad you’ll soon be able to tell what the temp is;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    edited April 2019
    I figured out something very interesting this week.  I was able to get back and work on this ThermoPro thermometer issue and found that I was only losing connection with the external sensor when the base unit placement was directly below the Alde’s thermostat.  As soon as I moved the base away from that, it began working again.  I tried all sorts of locations, and all worked, up until I again put it back below the Alde’s control unit and sure enough, the sensor connection again dropped.  In fact, no updates to the base unit’s temperature readings either at that location.   So, I moved it about 8 inches away, mounted it with a command strip, and now have no issues.

I’m really not sure why or what was truly causing the interference, nor if the Alde control was compromised as well, but just cautioning other T@B owners to be wary.