Options

2008 DM TabT1

Am considering the above used Tab, but am wary due to all I read about rotting floors.  Would this be visible from underneath?  Is there any way to tell before you buy?  Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    toni7786 said:
    Am considering the above used Tab, but am wary due to all I read about rotting floors.  Would this be visible from underneath?  Is there any way to tell before you buy?  Thanks!
    The most obvious sign is if the floor feels soft or if you see some bubbling. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 923
    There is some discussion of floor issues and inspection in this post.

I would add to the comments in that discussion that the early signs of serious floor failure is most evident around the wheel wells in the side benches.  It becomes obvious that the walls are not square to the floor and bench components no longer fit together square and even.  The plastic inner fender will be distorted and beginning to separate from the floor opening.

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    edited April 2019
    @toni7786, signs of wood rot in the floor is evident to the feel as @jkjenn said. The floor will feel soft or flexible, maybe even squishy. Look in the benches over the wheel wells. Do you see any water stains. Turn off the lights and make the inside of the trailer dark. Open the benches and check if you can see daylight around the wheel wells. If you can, there is a chance the trailer wasn't maintained regularly, wasn't resealed/recaulked. That is a big clue that there could be water infiltration, because there are openings in vulnerable areas. Take a clue from what you see and feel. Good luck. There are some well cared for  good condition trailers out there.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    toni7786toni7786 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks, all.  Appreciate the advice!
  • Options
    One other thought...  IF we decide on this Tab, it would have to be stored outside.  We’re in central Indiana; snowy winters.  IF the flooring was good in it, would outside storage compromise the flooring?  Or does the moisture get in a different way?  Can’t get my mind off this! 😊
  • Options
    This model does not have a bath in it.  Does that lessen the chance of soft floor?
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    If you store outside, I'd highly recommend getting a cover.  I have an 06 and the cover definitely reduces water moving around on the T@B (any reduction will help).

Check the wheel wells and front and rear floor connector (metal plate across the front and back).  If all are "clean" odds are that you are fine.
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    toni7786 said:
    One other thought...  IF we decide on this Tab, it would have to be stored outside.  We’re in central Indiana; snowy winters.  IF the flooring was good in it, would outside storage compromise the flooring?  Or does the moisture get in a different way?  Can’t get my mind off this! 😊
    The moisture input in the older T@B models are through the wheel wells, where the front meets the floor, and through the CoolCat vent from road wash, and some folks have reported water infiltration through the actual door while on the road. Another problem is the internal frame inside the floor is not as strong. When folks have replaced their floor, they have noted broken welds inside the floor frame. A cover is always a good idea when stored outside.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 923
    Moderator please - This file should be added to the DM T@B reference collection.

Thanks @mash2