Options

surge protectors

I didn't see this topic listed.  I've heard online that a surge protector when plugging to a shore is essential.  Which do you use, and why?  I'd like to have one that would operate on both 30A and 50A. Do they get stolen? 

Comments

• Options
    grubbstergrubbster Member Posts: 114
    I use Progressive Industries.  They have portable and hard wired options.  I use a portable unit and use a bike lock to secure it to the post.
    https://www.progressiveindustries.net/
    2023 F-150 Powerboost hybrid
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I have the hardwired Progressive Industries 30a one. If I had to do it over I would consider a surge guard, ONLY because it protects from both incoming power issues as well as issues within the RV wiring. https://rvpower.southwire.com/products/surge-protection/
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    @Glider11, I'm not sure I would say a surge protector is essential, as I (and others) have plugged up to shore power many times without one and lived to tell about it.
    However, if you don't like living dangerously they do provide a measure of insurance against damage from notoriously unreliable campground power supplies.
    I suppose they are as subject to being stolen as any other campsite goodies you leave lying around. I've never considered theft of my gear a real big concern, but YMMV.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    I have a Progressive Industries portable and, though, I wouldn’t consider it essential (you can obviously plug in without one), I do consider it cheap insurance.  The risk of electrical malfunction in an RV park or camp ground is not as low as you might think, especially if you consider all of the different people plugging in with varying “attachment” habits, which puts unusual strain on the outlets.  The cost of one serious malfunction pays for one of these several times over. 
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    We have the portable Progressive. They come highly recommended. We keep ours in a black opaque Home Depot utility bucket (with snap on cover), which keeps the lights from showing at night. Makes for a less obvious 'valuable item'.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    If you search in the upper right “search” field, using ‘surge protector’, you’ll find ~ 13 pages of threads, providing an exhaustive study of these devises.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    @ChanW so do you use an extension cord to the surge protector which you put in a tub then to the trailer power cord ?  Then you put the tub under your trailer or something?
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    I think I have seen some folks who have covered a pedestal with a bucket.  Not a bad idea.  Also keeps it dry.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @lkc001, yes, we use an extension cord to the bucket and then our main 30A cord to the Tab. (Two holes at the top edge of the bucket for the cords to go - bucket goes upside down)

If the bucket ends up near the Tab, it goes underneath. Otherwise we'll try to make it inconspicuous where we put it.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    I bought this progressive industry surge suppressor/ protector.   It is more expensive up front but one or two thefts or breakage from abuse will more than pay for it.   
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356

Just installed the Progressive Industries EMS-LCHW30 30 amp hard-wired unit.  Excellent instructions, came with all miscellaneous parts and took under an hour to install.  Fits nicely near the Alde in the 320.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    abenteurerabenteurer Member Posts: 72
    Installed the Progressive Ind. hardwired EMS and have been very happy.  At a Gettysburg, PA campground there was bad 'Neutral' connection down line which caused the voltage to drop a lot when the AC was turned on.  The EMS shut off power to the T@B.  Had to prove to the campground techs what was happening via the little EMS monitor.  By the way, I mounted the EMS monitor on the back of the TV.  Handy and works great!

2016 T@B M@x S | 2015 Grand Cherokee 5.7L HEMI (awesome) with factory tow pkg | 2017 Wrangler Sahara (awesome) 4-dr with factory max tow pkg
  • Options
    Glider11Glider11 Member Posts: 73
    Yes I decided to have installed the Progressive interior hard wired protector with extra EMS. More expensive, but peace of mind.