Options

Offroading with 320 Boondock Edge

Looked at this model today and am wondering if the underbody shielding is robust enough for off-roading.

Seems kinda flimsy and bendy...

Anyone have problems with this?

Comments

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    Frequent question.  Use the forum 'Search' function (near top of page) to find several threads on this topic.
    I'll include two links for you to get started.
    The first link includes this remark from @ScottG
    "Conventional wisdom is that except for a little extra ground clearance, the "Boondock" package is mostly about appearance and convenience. The chassis and camper body are the same as the standard T@Bs.
    That said, people certainly do take them offroad. If you search around here on the forum, I know there a few discussions on this topic, as well as some photos."

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    It it surely isn’t a skid plate. I wouldn’t want to belly slide the 320 over any rock piles, that’s for sure. The FW tank and plumbing is right up under there, so....cuidado!
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    @4ncar is spot on. I will add that be prepapred for your TV to break, cupboards to open and contents to spill, and screws to work their way loose (probably caulk, too.) If you are looking to travel a few rougher forest service road, the boondock will be fine. I would not take it true offloading where you would normally want skid plates, rock rails, or lockers.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    edited May 2019
    jkjenn said:
    @4ncar is spot on. I will add that be prepapred for your TV to break,....
    ?????

i have to agree with the other points, but this???  If they are asking this question, i would beleive that they have some off road knowledge, but that they si ply do not know about the boondock.

i remember when we first stopped to look at the outback / Boondock T@G, my GF was laying on the bed, I was laying under the trailer.  Lol
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Let me clarify...

I meant TV, as in television, not Tow Vehicle. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    So we just need to convince NuCamp we need the 320 Rubicon edition?

2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max