Options

New Air conditioning system for 2020 - Elwell Air-8

124»

Comments

• Options
    lpantherslpanthers Member Posts: 32
    I’m getting ready to purchase a Tab 400 BDL but the new air conditioning system has me worried.  I hope that NuCamp will come up with a solution very soon.  I agree with some of the comments above that the current fix that they recommend is not going to solve the problem. It certainly is not going to solve dust, bugs or water issues that you might or will experience.  NuCamp needs to rethink and solve this.
  • Options
    CaschettaCaschetta Member Posts: 12
    We just returned from our maiden voyage San Diego-AZ-Utah-Idaho-Montana-Alberta. 4000 miles with our new 2020 400 BDL. Everything was great EXCEPT the AC....of course. It's now at the dealer awaiting fix. I won't repeat the issues but it is EXACTLY the same. Unit not cooling in hot temps. Thanks BigShowSkipper for all the info! We're expecting our dealer to do the factory fix and call it a day. We like the dealer but wouldn't expect them to do too much extra work for the meager reimbursement they get from the manufacturer. I like cover in your pics that redirects the air. Seems like it works! Two questions: Do you think that mod voids any future warranty claims on the AC? How can we get the vent cover made for our 400 without driving to AZ? Thanks. Looking forward to getting our 400 back and hitting the road and being able to survive Southwestern heat!  
  • Options
    BigShowSkipperBigShowSkipper Member Posts: 19
    The dealer did the work so I’m not worried about warranty issues. 

I would have your dealer review the pics on this forum. 
  • Options
    T_BDancingT_BDancing Member Posts: 85
    Hi everyone, this is my first post. Ever since I have decided on a 2020 Tab 320 S(most likely the Boondock Lite), I have been 'sniffing' around this forum a lot. What a great place to learn about the Tab trailers!
    Unfortunately the new AC system has delayed my purchase. For all of you with the 2020 Tab 320 with the new AC system-
    1) Do you think there will be dust and dirt build up under the trailer by the vents?
    2) What about bugs coming into the trailer from those vents?
    3) Any condensation around the 3 hoses which carry cool air into the cabin, on a real humid day?
    Any other input besides what I have mentioned above will be great too...
    All your help are very much appreciated and thank you!
    Tent to trailer w/TV: 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude 3.6L
    2019 Tab 320 S Boondock Edge and get me out of NYC!!!
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    edited August 2019
    Last week during the pre delivery inspection, I did notice condensation on the outside of the vent hoses coming out of the A/C unit.  It was very hot and humid at the time.  Made me think about what it would take to insulate those hoses in there instead.
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    we have a 2020 320 boondock lite.      we have been out in it 21 nights so far.

No issues with condensation, bugs or dust, yet.   The condensation is probably resolved by the air intakes for the ac at floor level.   The 320 intake and exhaust are separated by a frame rail as suggested by Elwell and the louvers directing the air just fine.   we have never experienced any error with the unit.   

I elected to not modify my intake or exhaust per the recall.   I prefer to have the louvers offer a bit of additional protection from splash during travel...   If I ever start to wonder I bought magnetic vent covers and intend to use those.
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    @TNOutback, wonder if the AC would be more efficient after insulation, that would be one stone two birds?
    @Cbusguy, thanks for bringing up 'splash', never thought about that part. What type of magnetic vent cover would you use? I agree with you to not modifying the intake or exhaust per the recall, but will inventories be 'fixed' already by dealers for future buyers like myself?
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
  • Options
    Thanks @Cbusguy. I may use this idea for all vents. At the mean time, I am searching for a 2019 320 S just to avoid the new AC system.
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    Cbusguy said:
    sounds like a solid choice.    Just tough being first owning something new and being the lab rat.
    Ha!  Going back rereading these posts, and I had to laugh when I ran across this post from May 2019.  Little did we know at the time that we would be one of those lab rats!