Does TST only mask odor?

Does TST only mask odors? Do I want to actually sanitize black tank now and then to kill bacteria? How would I do that?
2017 Tab 320 S
2014 Mazda CX 5
Traveling very light to be kind to my transmission.

Comments

• CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    from the website

Eliminate bad odors in your RV septic tanks for up to seven days with this Camco TST RV Holding Tank TreatmentChemical. Just 4 oz of this super concentrated formula cantreat a 40-gallon septic tank. The coconut oil in this RV tank treatment lubricates the sensors and helps to break down waste and tissue.

you don't want to kill the bacteria,  it is what breaks down the waste.   
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    So what you are really saying is that you have an odor problem in the black tank via the stool area and are looking for answers? 

Most of your black tank chemical treatments sold at Walmart or any camping store will solve the problem.  Heat obviously speeds up the odor problem and may require dumping the black tank more frequently.   Everyone has their favorite chemical (and best practices) for use and in maintaining their black tank as well.  I have used the orange gel style capsules for the black tank and also use the blue powder envelopes and pour this into the stool after filling the stool with water to eliminate powder dispersing into the air.   We religiously use dish soap and a small amount of Downy fabric softener too when treating the tank to create a slippery surface and allow waste to move around.   

The T@B 400 has the built in nozzle inside the tank to allow a hose attachment which makes this chore easier and more convenient.  If you empty your tank frequently and treat it after use this will help with the odor issue.  You can also purchase a hose style wand to insert into the black tank that reaches areas within the tank to create a power wash effect and allows for better cleaning.  

You can also search the forum area too as this is a well discussed topic that others have provided a wealth of information for and should give you great insight in solving your problem.  

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • melpetermelpeter Member Posts: 112
    Thanks. I did a search but somehow didn’t find a complete answer like yours. Maybe I  typed in the wrong search term. 
    I emptied my black tank completely a month ago. Or so I thought. (Still can’t trust the SeeLevel)  Did not add water or TST since it wasn’t being used at all. But when I opened the flush valve today to rinse the bowl - the odor of ammonia (urine) was very strong. So I guess emptying the tank isn’t really emptying the tank. I have a wand thingy but didn’t see the point of using it on a tank that had only held urine and no toilet paper or solid waste. Obviously I was wrong. 
    2017 Tab 320 S
    2014 Mazda CX 5
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    While mine is a 320,  don't have the black tank flush port I try to rinse as best as I can with fresh water when I am going to store it.  We have done this with our prior trailers,   sometimes it doesn't work for some reason and they end up smelling,    Call it part of the experience.
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    During the camping season, in between trips, after dumping and rinsing, I add water and Happy Camper to both the gray and black tank.  And make sure the p traps are filled, too.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • melpetermelpeter Member Posts: 112
    During the camping season, in between trips, after dumping and rinsing, I add water and Happy Camper to both the gray and black tank.  And make sure the p traps are filled, too.
    So you don’t use  TST at all? The Happy Camper stuff is more expensive. Worth it?
    2017 Tab 320 S
    2014 Mazda CX 5
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    No TST.  Happy Camper is really easy for us and since we make use of available toilet facilities, we contain the costs.  When we camp, the gray tanks stay clean by not rinsing food particles into the tank (paper plates and using a tub to wash and rinse).  We do put some Dawn down the sink drain.  I have also used the GEO method for both gray and black tanks with success, but only liquid in the black tank.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    Having had larger RVs in the past where the smell of chemicals was overpowering, I cannot fathom putting up with that smell in a tiny T@b. YES, Happy Campers is worth every penny and more. It’s more effective than any overscented toxic tank chemical I’ve ever tried, it actually breaks down the contents of the tank, AND it’s unscented. Add a little Borax or Calgon and a squirt of Dawn to help keep things from sticking to the sides.

That said, every tank product I’ve seen specifies that you re-add after dumping. Even the wand sprayer only cleans so much. Unless you have built in tank sprayers, which the 320 doesn’t, there’s virtually always going to be at least a residue in your tank. 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW