Options

Can multiple Zamp solar panels be used simultaneously?

I was curious about this; got an answer from Zamp and thought I would just share the conversation.

My question:  I have two portable solar panels; a 120 watt panel and a 200 watt panel. Can these both be used at the same time to increase my solar capacity? Do they need to be wired together or does each one connect to the battery individually, simultaneously?

Zamp’s answer:  To properly maintain your battery bank, please attach each Portable kit to the battery bank individually at the battery bank.  Each of the kits solar controller will work in concert, with no conflict issues.

2022 T@B 400 BD
2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    It appears they assume you have the solar suitcases with the built in controller.  Is that what you have, or do you have separate panels?  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I had my Zamp 200 watt factory flexible solar panels on my roof (with its own controller) and my Zamp 200 watt suitcase (with its own controller) connected to the batteries individually for over 3 1/2 months this past winter in Arizona. I had absolutely no problem with this arrangement. 

Reason:  I had 4 successive days with no solar gain (extremely cloudy and lots of rain) on the flexible panels, the batteries were under 12.0V, and I was desperate. I ran my truck for 4 hours to get the batteries back over 50%, and the glass Zamp 200 watt suitcase helped bring the batteries up to a settled reading of 13.0. 

After a few days of sun and no problems, I decided to just leave the suitcase on the ground, pointing due south. I didn’t bother following the sun because the sun hit the flexible panels before it hit the suitcase. It worked wonderfully. 

I also had one week where I used only the factory flexible panels and they worked fine by themselves, also. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    I have two separate “suitcase” panels, each with its own controller.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
  • Options
    Thanks @JohnDanielsCPA.  I checked Zamp’s website.  I did not realize that they did not have separate panels like Renogy.

If you have the right size controller, wouldn’t you be better off running the suitcases in series, resulting in higher voltage and less voltage loss?  We daisy chained our 2 Renogy suitcases for that reason.  We can use 1 or both suitcases.  But our controller is at the battery, not attached to the panels.
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    @Sharon_is_SAM The big benefit for connecting panels in series is increasing voltage to decrease voltage drop over longer wire runs.  Most of the folks an this group probably will never run their panels more than 10 or 15 feet from the trailer so it probably isn't an issue.   

the simplest solution for the OP is for him just to get a Y adapter for his zamp connector and just plug them both in......he did mention that both have controllers on them.    I doubt he will ever see much more than 20 amps,  with that said that zamp connector with higher amperages is questionable.
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    @Cbusguy, you mean the wiring on the solar port on the tub may not support higher amperage of 2 suitcases?
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    edited June 2019
    @Sharon_is_SAM it is possible, pends on the size of the suitcase systems, and  I have no idea what the connection is rated for.   It does have 10 gage wire which should be appropriately sized to support up to 400 watts even on a 400 which would have longer wire length.   keep in mind the recommended amp ratings on the gage of wire and wire run lengths.   20 amps at 12 volts on a 320 would be fine,   but that same connection on a 400 should be 8 gage according to my wiring charts.

I am hesitant to just blank making any statement as people aren't too picky about advice,   solar, battery and such are fairly different between the 320 and 400.   what will work on one might be dangerous on the other.

And while on the zamp site i found the y cable i mentioned earlier   link   probably his easiest solution...

edit....while checking my to see if my link worked I noticed the y adaptor cable says it is good for up to 20 amps
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    Thanks @JohnDanielsCPA.  I checked Zamp’s website.  I did not realize that they did not have separate panels like Renogy.

If you have the right size controller, wouldn’t you be better off running the suitcases in series, resulting in higher voltage and less voltage loss?  We daisy chained our 2 Renogy suitcases for that reason.  We can use 1 or both suitcases.  But our controller is at the battery, not attached to the panels.
    Each panel has its own controller, so they can’t be wired in series.  I like the idea of the Y connector to plug both into.  Combined amps at max comes to 20.4; probably not enough overage to worry about as I doubt I would get max/max output from both panels anyway.
    2022 T@B 400 BD