ALDE Hot Water Question

I have seen several threads on this topic but wanted to get some input from others on what I am seeing.

I have a 2019 T@B 400 with the ALDE 3020.  It was winterized from the dealer when new.  I purged the system through the onboard water tank including the pump.  I then pressurized the water system, making sure the ALDE bypass valve was in Normal.  Turned on the ALDE, using propane for a while and then tried AC for a while.

I can tell the water is getting hot.  The ALDE is hot, the water that comes out the relief valve out the bottom of the trailer is hot if I discharge a little from there, and the red water line going to the mixing valve from the ALDE is plenty hot.  But the red water line on the output side of the mixing valve is not getting anyway near as hot.  It doesn't seem to matter where I set the mixing valve.  And at the sinks the water will start out cool, will go to hot in about 10 seconds, and after about another 10 seconds it will cool down a bit.  Doesn't seem to want to hold the temperature.  When I go check the water lines by the mixing valve I get the same results: hot on the ALDE side and not so hot on the output side.

I am not really sure what could go wrong with the mixing valve but I am thinking of bypassing it completely for my next test.  Will need to get some supplies to do that but just not sure about this.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Gary
2019 T@B 400 BDL
2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
PNW

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Most likely you need to adjust the mixing valve.  You should have received instructions in your manual (thumbdrive), but just in case, here is some info.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/117044#Comment_117044

But first, check your Alde display - what water temperature does the Alde report?  How long did you wait before testing?  I understand the Alde in the 400 has the “flow” system which pre-warms the water, then moves that water to be quickly heated, so when you open the tap, it can go from cold, to warm to hot.  

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    Tried the mixing valve from minimum, to mid range, to Max.  Water temp reading is 118 F.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    PNW
    As far as how long I waited.  I turned it on about 3 hours ago and have checked it about every 30 minutes.

2019 T@B 400 BDL
    PNW
    edited June 2019
    I do not think your water temperature is adequate.  Is there more than one temperature reading for water?  Was that the Alde flow temp? 

Did you read the link above?  If your hot water is inadequate, you need to turn the valve to Maximum, then loosen the screw and make adjustments.  Read the thread.  Bayliss and ColoradoJon did a nice job of describing the task as the formal instructions give folks trouble.
    Is the water temperature all the way up on the Alde display?
  • Outlaw82Outlaw82 Member Posts: 3
    The mixing valve stem has cogs and the knob has cogs that interlock with the valve stem.You need to loosen the screw enough so that you can pull the knob toward you and disengage the two set of cogs from one another. Then turn the knob to minimum and retighten screw,then experiment turning toward max.I had to do this twice before I got water temp where I wanted it.
    Guess l should have read that post Sharon.  :o  And thanks Outlaw for the example.  Adjusted the mixing valve twice and now have constant hot water!
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    PNW
    Yeah!  But, that water temperature still seems low.  Have you checked what your temperature is when you boost it all the way up?
    I have not.   I also turned the side off, ran about 6 gallons of water through the hot water system and restarted.  It is now at 135 degrees.  Will try the hot water boost next.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    PNW
     Turned the side off?
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    @gspdx, are you measuring your water temp at the tap or in the Alde (via the display)? 135F sounds about right for the Alde in "normal" mode. If you are getting that at the tap it suggests there is no mixing going on at the mixing valve--which I would say means you got it adjusted perfectly!  ;-)  (But be careful not to burn yourself--the "boost" feature should kick that temp up north of 150F!)
    2015 T@B S
     Turned the side off?
    Should have said something like "system".  
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    PNW
    ScottG said:
    @gspdx, are you measuring your water temp at the tap or in the Alde (via the display)? 135F sounds about right for the Alde in "normal" mode. If you are getting that at the tap it suggests there is no mixing going on at the mixing valve--which I would say means you got it adjusted perfectly!  ;-)  (But be careful not to burn yourself--the "boost" feature should kick that temp up north of 150F!)
    From the Alde display.  I will be testing the boost heat today I think.  Thanks for the warning!
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    PNW
  • lpantherslpanthers Member Posts: 32
    How long does the Alde 3020 system take before you start feeling hot water and in the 2020 Tab 400s what does the RV hot water bypass valve do?  It is on normal mode now.
    I did not receive a Tab 400 owners manual or flash drive with my new purchase.  I have requested one from NuCamp.

@lpanthers  - have you accessed the Category area here on the forum yet?

The Alde takes a good half hour to heat water depending on the setting and how how cold the water is to start.  If you can’t get hot enough water, you will want to adjust your mixing valve.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/117024#Comment_117024

TaB 400 manual:  https://us.v-cdn.net/5021717/uploads/editor/mx/nmzesgstr146.pdf

TaB 400 Resource Guide:  https://us.v-cdn.net/5021717/uploads/editor/7i/hvlhnphtcl1i.pdf

The bypass lever on the 400 is used when winterizing, dewinterizing or sanitizing your plumbing system/ fresh water tank.  It prevents antifreeze or bleach from reaching the Alde tank.  Depending on your choice and use of your TaB, you may not need/want to put antifreeze in the Alde water tank.  Leave the valve on normal for routine camping season use of your Alde.

• lpantherslpanthers Member Posts: 32
    Thanks for above comments.
    @ipanthers - don't make the mistake I made by thinking adjusting the mixing valve is just turning it back and forth.  I failed to read everything that was supplied here.  If after 30 minutes or so your water does not seem hot at that tap you need to do the real mixing valve adjustment (adjusting the knob location on the valve).  

If the control panel indicates you have very hot water you can feel the hoses coming into and going out of the mixing valve too.  If you think you have pretty hot water coming into the valve yet cool water on the output side adjust the position of the mixing valve knob.

2019 T@B 400 BDL
    PNW
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Just be careful adjusting the valve, I have heard after about three turns (resetting the stop) it all comes out in your face under spring loaded pressure. I have mine two turns out IIRC.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    Despite what The Air Force Guy says, you don't remove the screw in order to adjust the mixing valve.  Just loosen it enough (just a couple of turns or so--maybe even less) so that you can move the knob out away from the valve.  This will allow you to rotate the knob to the right (about 90 degrees clockwise) past the stop.  Reseat the screw and turn the knob all the way to the left again and test the water temp.  If necessary loosen the screw again and repeat the process.  As Sharon-is-Sam has pointed out in another post, if you take the screw completely off you will have a pile of small parts on the ground in front of you.