Options

Which outlets are powered by the inverter?

Hi!

Trying to figure out if something is funky about the electrical in our new 2020 Tab 400. On shore power with inverter off, there is power to only the kitchen outlet. 

When I turn the inverter on (on either battery or shore power), I have power at the dinette (on the switch panel), in the bedroom, and in the bathroom. No power in the kitchen. 

Is this the expected behavior?

Best, 

JB

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    Sounds like only one outlet for AC.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ArizonayetiArizonayeti Member Posts: 26
    Yes. Curious enough, that is what I have found on my 2020 400 and checking a showroom 2020 400.   

On shore power with the inverter off, only the kitchen and outside outlets are hot.  On shore power with the inverter on, all outlets are hot.  On battery/inverter only, all of the outlets are hot except the kitchen (and I believe the outside plug).  

I would have expected to have more outlets hot on shore power only, but I assume logistically, it is hard to wire for both 120v and 12v. 
    2020 T@B 400 BL w/solar.  TV 2018 4Runner w/ Fox 2" lift. 
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    It should be possible with correct wiring and an automatic transfer switch to have all outlets hot on shore power or battery+inverter. That is what I plan to do when I add a Victron Multiplus.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    1968Healey1968Healey Member Posts: 64
    So there is an automatic transfer switch built in. 

On shore power you need to turn the inverter ‘on’.  It automatically transfers (you can hear it click and the light turns orange). 

On DC power you have to manually turn the inverter on and the light goes green.

Annoyingly the inverter doesn’t turn on and auto transfer itself.  You need to initiate it.
    2020 T@B 400
    2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    _JB__JB_ Member Posts: 18
    Perfect. Now I know, and I won't worry about it. Thanks for the helpful responses @Arizonayeti and @1968Healey!
  • Options
    davel4wadavel4wa Member Posts: 91
    It seems counterintuitive that AIMS would design their inverter such that the inverter on/off switch would defeat the auto transfer function as described here. I have sent a query to AIMS to discover if this is true.
  • Options
    AmazonicaAmazonica Member Posts: 151
    Hi, I have a different experience. 2020 400 Boondock.  All 110V AC outlets (regular looking household type) work on shore power without touching the inverter button. The 110V outlets I have = 4 total;  one in bathroom, one in bed cubby, one on kitchen counter behind sink, and one on the dinette nearest the door to the outside. When I am running unhooked (boondocking on DC) I have to turn on the inverter, but only 3 of the 4 AC outlets work on the inverter (1200W factory installed inverter). The kitchen 110V AC only works while on shore power. I emailed NuCamp and very quickly got a response that my situation is 'normal' for my year and model. I'm still learning, but wanted to offer some info. I do have factory solar and the two 6V GC batteries. Not sure if that makes any difference. What I have learned is that there are tiny differences from unit to unit even if they are the same year. 
    2020 T@B 400 BD w/Solar, Microwave and Closet
    Towed by 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L Hemi 4x4 Crew Cab
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    I guess this entire discussion has me confused.  Why would you need the inverter "ON' when on shore power?  The whole purpose of the inverter is to provide 120vac from the battery.  If you are on shore power you should have 120vac to all of the 120vac outlets.  In my 2019 400 only the outlet at the foot of the bed is powered by the inverter (and it is only powered by the inverter--not shore power) although I have heard that later models have more outlets powered by the inverter.  All of the other outlets are powered when on shore power.
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    edited July 2020
    @falcon1970
    Can't speak to the why...leave that for nuCamp folks. Can say in my rig that's the case. Two outlets (dinette next to door and inside cubby next to bed) only operate when inverter is switched on. If on shore power, turning on the inverter the light flashes green, then switches to solid amber. If no shore power, light stayes steady green and those two outlet are hot.

Maybe the thinking is having the inverter on "standby" means you don't have to switch it on when you unplug from shore power? Haven't watched but I suspect if the inverter is in "Standby" while on shore power and you unplug from shore, the inverter automatically switches over and those two outlest remain hot? Dunno...

That advice...and $5.00...will get you a latte at Starbucks!  B)  

2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    That is the way they are wired to work.  Our Jan 2018 has the same setup as the 2019, only the single AC outlets at the foot of the bed is on the inverter.
    be aware, a 1200 watt inverter only actual is able to sustain 960 watts in continuous duty.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    xdrxdr Member Posts: 261
    We are both so confused....
    We have the 2021 Tab 400 boondock with 190W solar on the roof. Boondocking, with inverter pushed in gives us only one outlet- the one by the bed. It really is a pain to use the curling iron while sitting on the bed and I guess we will have to get an extension cord if we want to use a coffee pot!
    Why do some of the Tab 400's have multiple live outlets and ours only has one? 
    ----
    If you may remember, we accidentally drained the batteries last month and have recovered from that experience EXCEPT that we still cannot get the Victron app to connect. We have been relying on the KIB to monitor the battery for now. We are looking to add the BMV-712 so that we always have a physical way to monitor the battery without relying on that silly app. 

BUT- even before that incident with the batteries, we only had one live outlet with the inverter. 

Can anyone explain this to us? 

2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @xdr, NüCamp has been known to make changes during model years and at the beginning of model years. It appears they made a change for the 2021 model year. 

You can always contact your dealer and ask them if they can rewire your outlets. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    @xdr
    I'd highly recommend you contact your dealer and if not satified, contact nuCamp. Can't explain it from my standpoint. My rig has two "inverter" outlets. One under PX dinnet seat near door and one in cubby near aft bed. 

Also recommend you "forget" the Victron Bluetooth, delete the app and reinstall. 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    xdrxdr Member Posts: 261
    @AirBoss, we have deleted the app and reinstalled multiple times. We deleted it and reinstalled on a different phone, took out the bottom drawer, to access the controller and checked both fuses, found the PUK number and reinstalled app again, contacted NuCamp service, our dealer, and Victron itself all to no avail!  

At this point we think it must be a bad controller perhaps from when we let the batteries drain? ....but it still is charging our batteries, so that doesn't seem like it is a bad controller. 

We'd love to hear more ideas.

2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
  • Options
    I'd say you've gone above and beyond. Time to contact dealer and/or nuCamp. 

Should not be as it is and you should not have to jump thru those kinds of hoops. 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    The solar controller has a blue lamp on it. Is it flashing or steady?
  • Options
    RFraerRFraer Member Posts: 87

And the USB ports are dead in the bedroom if the inverter is off. Come-on, sometimes I think no one camps at NuCamp.

• Options
    85Redwood85Redwood Member Posts: 52
    @xdr sounds like we have similar campers.

Only the bed outlet is powered by our inverter.  Unlike earlier models when on shore power the bed outlet is powered without turning on the inverter.

So that I didn't need to use an extension cord with my 1000W coffee maker I replaced the coffee maker's cord with one about twice as long.

The easiest option would be to bring along an extention cord long enough to reach the bathroom and dinette.  
    2021 T@B 400: boondock, 3-way fridge, microwave, solar
    2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7 L
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @RFraer yeah sometimes I just have to wonder. They are awesome wood craftsman there in Sugar Creek, but electrical engineers they are a bit lacking in.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite