Options

Sewer hose question

Now that we've returned from our first trip with our T@B 400, I have a question about the sewer hose. We dumped the tanks without incident, and rinsed the hoses. Now what do we do with them? Currently, they have caps on the ends, and are in the camper's hose storage area. Do they just stay there? I know they're not dry and perfectly clean, and I can't imagine that it's good to keep them enclosed like that. I also can't imagine draping them over my deck railings to dry out, if you know what I mean! What's next? 

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    We leave the caps off our ends and leave it in the sewer hose holder mounted on our frame.  They will dry out with the caps off.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    davel4wadavel4wa Member Posts: 91
    Deb55: I will assume that you followed the sequence of dumping the black water followed by the gray water. That will get rid of most of the debris in the hose. Additionally, carry an additional hose (don't use your fresh water hose, obviously)  and use it to wash out the hose while it's still connected to the dump station.
  • Options
    Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    davel4wa said:
    Deb55: I will assume that you followed the sequence of dumping the black water followed by the gray water. That will get rid of most of the debris in the hose. Additionally, carry an additional hose (don't use your fresh water hose, obviously)  and use it to wash out the hose while it's still connected to the dump station.
    We did all those things, plus rinsed the tank with the water sprayer that you can hook up the non-drinking water hose to and clean out the tank. The sewer hoses were pretty well rinsed out, but that storage area is kind of closed up. I didn't want stinky, moldy hoses the next time we take out the trailer! 
  • Options
    RCBRCB Member Posts: 193
    Storing a wet sewer hose bothers me too. They are not perfectly clean and that storage tube on the 400 will eventually smell. To help the hose dry, I added a hole and screened clam type vent to the storage tube cap. Such vents are available at a marine store. I plan to add another vent at the other end of the tube, ie a hose and screen thru the exterior wall. 

400 - 2019
    St Catharines, ON
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496

I made my hose holder and drilled small holes about every three inches along the bottom for drainage and airing out purposes. I also use Happy Campers powder and have no smell issues in three years now. 

2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    davel4wadavel4wa Member Posts: 91
    You can always remove the hose from the carrier when your trip is done and allow it to dry out before storing it again. I realize many people don't store their RVs at their home so this can be inconvenient. 
  • Options
    KeagriverKeagriver Member Posts: 18

I made my hose holder and drilled small holes about every three inches along the bottom for drainage and airing out purposes. I also use Happy Campers powder and have no smell issues in three years now. 

Hi Homebodyatheart, quick question: how long is your storage tube? My new tube is a 15’ unit and collapses to 8’. Haven’t used it yet, but mounting an 8 foot tube is challenging.
    2020 T@b 320 S BD Edge,
    2018 Toyota 4Runner 
    Bowdoinham, Maine
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    My tube is 60”, a standard pvc pipe size. I just replaced my rhino hose, swapping the fittings, with a new 20’ slinky hose, plus the old rhino fittings. It fits just fine! My original sewer hose looked fine but after three years of summer heat and winter freezing temps I wanted to he safe and use a new hose. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    KeagriverKeagriver Member Posts: 18
    Thanks 
    2020 T@b 320 S BD Edge,
    2018 Toyota 4Runner 
    Bowdoinham, Maine
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    The best thing to do, is what fire departments do after using their hoses, dry them out.  If you feel they need additional cleaning, rinse them with a bleach solution and lay them out to dry. After they are dry store them back in the camper storage tubes. My TaB 400 is two years old, and the storage tube is Juana little dusty, but clean and odor free. 
    cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.