Options

Educational:: Air Bags vs WDH

MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,591
Came across this interesting youtube video explaining & showing different impact of using TV Air Bags or a Weight Distribution Hitch on Axle Loading.
Overloading rear axles & under loading front axles can be an issue for TV used near their maximum payload and tow capacity.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+

Comments

• Options
    CherokeeCherokee Member Posts: 120
    cool comparison! Now I have a better understanding of weight distribution hitches. However, these hitches/coupler assemblies are too cumbersome for dirt roads and air shocks aren't appropriate for off road applications. I compensated for sag the old fashion way by adding a lief to the rear spring pack.
    1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (2" lift and 30" tires) 2019 T@B 320 Boondogle
  • Options
    gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    Hey Cherokee,

Not sure if you looked but the Andersen WDH is not near as bulky as the traditional spring bar hitches.  

Also - remember that adding a leaf spring does not redistribute the weight so you still have the same issue as if you added the air bags I would think.  You still potentially have too much weight on your rear axle and not enough on your front axle.  

These trailers are pretty light so I would imagine this wouldn't be an issue.  Just wanted to make sure others take all of this into consideration.

By the way - when you say dirt roads to you mean "barely" a road? 
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW
  • Options
    gspdx said:
    Hey Cherokee,

Not sure if you looked but the Andersen WDH is not near as bulky as the traditional spring bar hitches.  

Also - remember that adding a leaf spring does not redistribute the weight so you still have the same issue as if you added the air bags I would think.  You still potentially have too much weight on your rear axle and not enough on your front axle.  

These trailers are pretty light so I would imagine this wouldn't be an issue.  Just wanted to make sure others take all of this into consideration.

By the way - when you say dirt roads to you mean "barely" a road? 
    We well tow our 320 Boondock over washboards and whop-de-dos and for that were installing a lock-n-roll hitch and coupler to provide more flex and avoid stressing the trailers frame. After we park the T@B at the hot springs in Death Valley (Saline valley and Bat road), for example, we will take the XJ wheeling on 4x4 trails. For towing both on and off road, the additional spring is to allow the jeep to set relatively level in-spite of the moderate 200# tong weight. In my case, only an additional 1" of lift. The additional weight on the Old Man Emu springs and the Chrysler 8.25 axel shouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, "Barely" is  not in my Border Collie's vocabulary. But having a T@B waiting for us rather then a tent is  a luxury we're looking forward to! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn_DwkJWiWw

• Options
    Looks like fun!  No serious off-roading for me anymore, but we do spend a bit of time on gravel and dirt roads.

I have owned 2 FJ40 Landcruisers and 1 really nice Jeep CJ7 that was build for rock crawling.  Now I have a 2018 4WD F-150 so I won't beat it up like did the others.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    PNW
  • Options
    gspdx said:
    Looks like fun!  No serious off-roading for me anymore, but we do spend a bit of time on gravel and dirt roads.

I have owned 2 FJ40 Landcruisers and 1 really nice Jeep CJ7 that was build for rock crawling.  Now I have a 2018 4WD F-150 so I won't beat it up like did the others.
    Thanks - yes it's fun and you could get that F-150 to the hot springs too - I'm certain you'd enjoy it.
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,591
    edited July 2019
    gspdx said:
    . . . Now I have a 2018 4WD F-150 so I won't beat it up like did the others.
    I was far more adventurous with my 1990 F-150 short box 4x4 (one great truck) then today with a Colorado purchased more for towing than off-road use.  Hopefully that's more to do with my intended use and not, that I'm 29-years older.

On recent Montana adventure did get the Colorado out for several afternoons of BLM & NF road driving with conditions difficult enough to justify 4x4 - - - even low range once or twice - - - and got to say It Was FUN.
    Having the T@B nearby for the night instead of tent camping, sleeping in bed of truck, or driving an hour to a motel was really great!

Of course I've now got additional branch scratches on the truck and one very new (small) dent in a weird locattion - - - how it the Heck did I do that - - was it the strange bump/thump on the "really should not have started up this road" part of the day ? ? ? =)
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited July 2019
    This test is for a much heavier trailer than the 320.  If you need a WDH and Sway Control on a 320, you might have the wrong TV. I see a lot of dealers pushing them on brand new owner as "insurance" against problems. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    We originally towed our 320 with a 2012 Toyota RAV4 with 6 cyl. engine.  It was rated for 3500 lb tow 350 lb hitch weight with the tow package.  Very suitable for a 320.

Towed well but even at much less than rated capacity the it stooped in back and rose in the front noticeably.  The shift in weight to the rear off the front wheels was apparently significant.  It was easy to patch out the front wheel drive and at night oncoming drivers hated our headlights.

We likely should have done something.  It's also about the softness of the suspension IMO.

I'm thinking our current 4Runner might be in the same situation if we upgraded to a 400.
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,501
    We originally towed our 320 with a 2012 Toyota RAV4 with 6 cyl. engine.  It was rated for 3500 lb tow 350 lb hitch weight with the tow package.  Very suitable for a 320.

Towed well but even at much less than rated capacity the it stooped in back and rose in the front noticeably.  The shift in weight to the rear off the front wheels was apparently significant.  
    I’m careful to load the heaviest stuff in front of the axle of my Santa Fe.  It makes a huge difference.  It’s tempting to put the cooler at the very back for easy access but it’s not great for weight distribution. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    OldcootcamperOldcootcamper Member Posts: 23
    I discussed air bags vs WDH with “my hitch guy” to pull the 400 with my 2018 Highlander.   He definitely said I needed the WDH and he was right.  

Unfortunately the combination of the heavy tongue weight of my 2019 400 plus the weight of the hitch itself pretty much maxes out the Highlander’s tongue weight capacity 

so I don’t put anything heavy behind the axle of the highlander.  The cooler and tool box go on the floor behind the front seat or on the back seat 

The good news is that driving with the fresh water tank full takes about 50lbs off the tongue weight so I always fill up before leaving in my trip rather than filling up upon arrival.  
  • Options
    jkjenn said:
    This test is for a much heavier trailer than the 320.  If you need a WDH and Sway Control on a 320, you might have the wrong TV. I see a lot of dealers pushing them on brand new owner as "insurance" against problems. 

Good common sense for this thread!
  • Options
    I discussed air bags vs WDH with “my hitch guy” to pull the 400 with my 2018 Highlander.   He definitely said I needed the WDH and he was right.  

Unfortunately the combination of the heavy tongue weight of my 2019 400 plus the weight of the hitch itself pretty much maxes out the Highlander’s tongue weight capacity 

so I don’t put anything heavy behind the axle of the highlander.  The cooler and tool box go on the floor behind the front seat or on the back seat 

The good news is that driving with the fresh water tank full takes about 50lbs off the tongue weight so I always fill up before leaving in my trip rather than filling up upon arrival.  
    Not sure what kind of WDH you have and since they are a little spendy I don't know if you would want to change, but I would suggest for anyone looking into a WDH to check out the Andersen hitch.  I had the entire thing shipped to me and it weighs about 50 lbs.  That includes the ball and the ball mount.  Nothing else is needed.  No spring bars to provide the resistance.  https://andersenhitches.com/Catalog/andersen-nosway-weight-distribution-hitch.aspx
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    PNW
  • Options
    DigitalSorceressDigitalSorceress Member Posts: 213
    My solution: my TV can handle 7500 lbs. I tow a 320S Boondock (probably a bit over 2k wet/packed for camping)

Its funny.. the RV dealer kept telling me "oh you can get a bigger camper, your truck can tow way more" and I was like "I don't WANT bigger, I want a trailer that my truck barely knows it's towing...

~Tananda

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge  named "Binky" | TV: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 with full tow package and a Leer Cap for lots of storage

I'm New to nuCamp and TearDrops but have owned a Class A in the past