Options

Suggestion For Properly Rated In-line DC Switch for TV

Anyone have a recommendation for an in-line switch for the T@B’s 12 VDC television?  I want to kill the parasitic drain with a switch.  Most of the plugin types I am seeing on Amazon are only rated for up to 2 amps, and apparently the TV is 4 amps.

Comments

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @TNOutback, I did the same as @MuttonChops.  Works great.  Wish I had a photo available to show you (my camper is in storage), but if I recall correctly, I zip-tied it to the television wire harness and positioned it so it is very easy to access and is not hanging loose behind the television.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 540
    I use the same switch which I velcro to the TV's edge for easy access. Has worked great for the last year.
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    Has anyone actually measured the parasitic draw from the Jensen TV?  I've since removed mine to install an Insignia TV from Best Buy to get two HDMI ports, but when I had the Jensen TV installed, the parasitic draw was so low that I figured it to be a non-issue.
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    klenger said:
    Has anyone actually measured the parasitic draw from the Jensen TV?
    Not me, I added the inline switch to kill the darn Blue Light . . . . . . . . . . .
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I had the same in-line switch as @MuttonChops in my T@B S Max, and ai have it in my T@B 400 also. Saves energy and turns off the annoying blue light. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,653
    I played around with my Victron in the last few weeks measuring different things, and the drain on the TV appears to be less than a rounding error on one amp.  If you can drop the drain on the Jensen and the TV, I'm guessing it could save be up to an amp a day, which is a lot if the parasitic drain is 4.5 or so, according to Jenn's Famous Spread Sheet.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 487
    The TV draws 40mA of parasitic current.  The radio is much worse at 215mA.  Together they represent 60% of the parasitic draw of the 2020 TAB 400s.  That's why I added a radio switch too.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    DigitalSorceressDigitalSorceress Member Posts: 213
    Yeah that reminds me I pulled my TV (set it aside in a safe place in case I ever sell./ upgrade to a 400) but need to do a switch for that radio.. I hardly ever use it.. but do so more than the TV

~Tananda

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge  named "Binky" | TV: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 with full tow package and a Leer Cap for lots of storage

I'm New to nuCamp and TearDrops but have owned a Class A in the past

• Options
    Speaking of that .. any advice on pulling the Jensen without damaging anything.. I'm guessing kind of lightly pry but...

~Tananda

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge  named "Binky" | TV: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 with full tow package and a Leer Cap for lots of storage

• Options
    edited July 2019
    @DigitalSorceress, I installed a cut-off switch on my Jensen stereo.

There are small plastic angled covers on each end/side of the face of the Jensen controls.  Pry those off (there is a slot that can be used to easily pry off those covers using a small angled flathead screwdriver.)  Under those covers are two small mounting screws on each side.  Remove those and the stereo pops right out.  There is plenty of length on the wires, so you can rest the stereo down on the kitchen counter, but you may need to slightly prop it up to support and protect it.

I learned the hard way that the best place to mount the switch is to the LEFT of the stereo compartment.  There is plenty of space in that area, but little or no space on the right side, plus too much metal from the stereo, which can result in shorting out your switch if the stereo pushes up against the switch.  I mounted my switch under the stereo housing (again, to the LEFT of the stereo when you are looking at it from the front.)  In other words, I mounted it under the cabinet area.  You don't even notice the switch when you enter the trailer, unless you are looking for it.

If you need photos, let me know.  I have them on another computer, but can get them for you if it helps.
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)

• Options
    @Bayliss THANKS.. Ok yeah just saw your post and went and yup, that makes sense.. I see what you mean about room for the switch on left vs right.

The under cabinet looks a bit thick.. concerned that I'd need a LONG switch to get it through there..

For now I've just pulled the plug to it.. will see if I can find something appropriate
    ~Tananda

• Options
    edited July 2019
    @DigitalSorceress, yes, it did take a switch with a bit longer body due to the thickness of the cabinet.  The switch I ultimately used (purchased at an auto parts store) also needed a hole that was sized between the drill bits I have in my set.  If you do need to drill a hole for a switch, and you don't have the specific bit size recommended for the switch, I definitely recommend buying the right-sized bit so you make a clean hole.  Since I do use the stereo occasionally, it is nice to have the convenience of shutting off the power to eliminate the phantom drain.

• Options
    @Bayliss  Thanks.. yeah I thought that cabinet bottom looked thick.. I'm going to just keep it disconnected at the wire harness for now.. I don't need it for my upcoming trip nearly as much as I need the amp hours for the cooling fan and lighting... I'll add a switch in sometime after that trip.

The TV is already parked safely in a closet where I keep lesser used tech I don't want to throw away but don't need actively in my life right now...

I know lots of folks like their tv or music, but I find I use my phone for those things when I absolutely must have music or watch something.

I use my camper for working when needing to work remote and for sleeping and maybe making some coffee or cleaning up or changing.. My reason for having a travel trailer is the travel and the doing things outside... I love my T@B but I prefer to spend my time out doing the things, not consuming media.. I can do that at home... :)

~Tananda

• Options
    I hear ya @DigitalSorceress.  My wife and I spend 95% of our time outside of out T@B.  We have a really nice set up outside while camping/boondocking and my wife loves cooking outside.  One of the reasons we sold our 5th wheel and downsized to the 320S was because we came to the realization that we had a whole lot of trailer that we pretty much just used for sleeping at night or getting out of the rain.  PLUS, our T@B is a whole lot easier to clean and maintain and we use it more often since it is so simple to hitch up and go to just about anywhere.  Love it!

• Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 540
    Thank you four the discussion. I decided to add a switch for the Jensen.  I found a switch I had laying around and with the information provided here.  I installed the switch so it will be ready for my next adventure. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Nice, clean install @DenisP.  Sometimes its the little things that make life a tad bit easier.   ;)    I could not (or at least doubt that I could) install my switch where you did.  The 320S has very little space in that area, so even if the width is sufficient for a switch at that location, it would be difficult to get a straight shot at making a hole with a drill, thus the need to mount it under the cabinet and to the left of the stereo.