Options

Converter Fan coming on after 6 volt battery conversion.

I just finished my two 6 volt battery conversion. Everything is working fine but as soon as I hooked up to my house the fan in the converter came on. I’ve never heard it before now. Everything still working fine with battery switch on or off hooked to shore power. Anyone know why the fan would immediately come on and stay on? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @51chevy, I'm just going to throw out a guess for why, since I do not have a specific answer.  Depending on the state of charge of your batteries (seems like they would be fully charged, since presumably new), maybe the converter is initially sending more power (i.e., bulk charging) to the batteries to get them to somewhere around 14.4 - 14.6 volts.  After that, it should drop to absorb mode and ultimately maintenance mode (where the battery will neither charge, nor discharge.)  If so, that may cause the fan to start immediately to cool the converter as it starts that process.  Again, just a guess.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,530
    I agree with Bayliss.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    My converter does the exact same thing with my 6V batteries.  I charge using an external charger as it works much better than the WFCO converter and without the noisy fan.
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    This^

Converter fan briefly comes on whenever I turn the battery switch on while hooked to shore power, even with dual 6v fully charged.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    51chevy51chevy Member Posts: 31
  • Options
    davel4wadavel4wa Member Posts: 91
    I believe there is an amber LED in the converter that lights when in 'bull's charging mode. You could check if it is on and if it stays on.