2»

Comments

• Options
    patandjeffpatandjeff Member Posts: 16
    thanks for the great post
    T@B 400 , Tundra 
  • Options
    RogerLRogerL Member Posts: 24
    What kind of bike rack do you have on your truck? I have a Jack-it on our trailer now, but it's not ideal.
    2018 T@B 320CS-S, 2018 GMC Canyon SLT
    Urbana, MD
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Nice write up! Thanks for the inspiration, it actually got my DW to think about it! She didn't understand why I set up our solar system - now she does...
    'For Sale'? Sad ending! :)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    HenrietteHenriette Member Posts: 8
  • Options
    Liam_n_MaggieLiam_n_Maggie Member Posts: 24
    Hi gulfarea.
    No flats on TV or trailer. I was prepared though. On recommendations we brought a bottle style jack, a plug kit, and of course spare tires. Be sure to bring a ratchet that fits your spare tire lugs for your trailer, as it is likely different than the one used for your TV.
    2017 T@b S Outback. 2016 Toyota Tacoma.
    Islamorada, FL & Westbrook, CT.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Hi RogerL,
    After installing a Jack-it, we realized that it wouldn't do. It was far too wobbly and we were worried it would break from any major bumps. We ditched it at a pawn shop along the way.
    We bought a tonneau cover from Pace-Edwards called Ultra Groove. It was the only one we found that accommodates cargo bars from Thule which will hold any number of bike racks.
    Best purchase ever! We went from a soft tonneau to this one which gives us the added security of being able to lock the tailgate with it closed. Highly recommend.
    The trailer is now sold and we still have the cover and rack - and we use it 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    "For Sale'? Sad ending!"
    Not at all! Be not sad because it's over - be happy because it happened  :)
    We're not campers. Never have been.
    We went into this adventure knowing it was to be a "one and done".
    We are incredibly happy that we did this trip, and would highly recommend to anyone thinking about it to do a little research and go for it! It's one of those things that we have in our hearts and minds that will never be taken away. 
    I will admit I was a little sad to see the trailer go because it represents so much to us, but also happy to know that it is in the hands of another adventurer who will love it. 
  • Options
    BlueespyBlueespy Member Posts: 151
    Liam and Maggie.  Great story.  We departed FL on 8 July 2019 and arrived in Prudhoe Bay, AK on 14 Aug in time for our Artic Plunge.  We travel up through Montana, Wyoming and then into Canada - Alberta, BC and the Yukon before entering AK.  Once in AK, we deviated from our planned route because there was so much to see and do.  When we finally headed home, we went down along the coast and entered the US at Seattle, then traveled through Oregon, Utah, Idaho, CO, NM, Texas and LA, with out last stop being in New Orleans just a few blocks from the French Quarter.  We pulled at 2019 T@B 400 BDL and though we planned in detail what we needed, we still over packed.  Married for 37-years, our daughter felt positive we would fight the entire way, but the opposite happened.  We really had a good time, we enjoyed the drive, the adventure, and problem solving when we faced normal issues of being on the road.  At the start we had two rules - fill up when you get to half a tank and my wife could not discuss her tech challenges with her Android phone.  I love her to the ends of the world, but that woman is truly tech challenged about everything on her smart phone.  So, no complaining, no loud exhales, eye rolling, arms waving, or frustrating jesters.  Surprisingly, after three months she only broke the rule twice. :)  It was with sadness when we pulled into our driveway on 1 Oct.  Now we're planning for our next great adventure. 
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2020 Ford F-150 XLT (V-8)
    Niceville, Florida
  • Options
    Sebastian said:
    Did you have a visor? Is it a must-have? but less important than solar panel?

We have a small visor and it doesn't take up any space.  Takes all of 10-mins to install and it does help keeping the sun off the windows and offers some protection during the rain.  You will need to use the guide lines if there is an wind, as the visors have a tendency to roll back onto the top of the camper. 
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    Niceville, Florida
  • Options
    gulfarea said:
    Liam, did you have any flats? I am debating even carting  a spare as it is a very. common tire and wheel at Walmart. Art

We did 16K, three months from FL to AK and return and never had a flat.  However, we did have to purchase tires in AK due to mileage on our TV, not trailer.  Carry the trailer spare - unless you are comfortable leaving the trailer on the side of the road while you go find a Walmart etc.  Plus, carry a tire repair kit.  There is a great manual with a detailed list of gear, etc. you should pack as standard for the T@B when doing long trips on the forum.  We purchased just about every items listed and it fit nicely in a medium soft tool case from Harbor Freight and would slide into the storage bin on our T@B 400.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    Niceville, Florida
  • Options
    @Tundra57, there is Camp Hosting that will get you a  free or greatly reduced site cost.  Boondocking out west is all over.  Don’t forget the coveted Geezer Pass for National Parks, Monuments, Wildlife Refuges, etc.  Lots of ways to save money.  The cost of a Long Term Visitor pass out in Arizona is a bargain.  https://www.blm.gov/documents/arizona-colorado-river-do-california-california-desert-do/public-room-frequently-requested

Don't forget Harvest Hosts
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    Niceville, Florida
  • Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    @Sharon_is_SAM thanks. I have the geezer pass. Also harvest hosts which I have not used yet. Just checking out camp hosting
  • Options
    Blueespy,
    Reading about your trip brought all good memories back! 
    Seems like you did the same route as us but in reverse.
    Love your two rules (and the nice wrap).
    Thanks for sharing!

• Options
    Michael49Michael49 Member Posts: 140
    Awesome post. Thanks so much for sharing your adventure here. 
    We are planning a similar trip in our 400 in the near future. We live in Western Mass and I grew up in CT.
    Love your bike setup - will need to look into something similar.
    I'm surprised that the 100W Suitcase solar provided enough juice for you. We have 200W on the roof of our 400 plus a 100W suitcase solar to charge our 200 ah deep cycle battery- and sometimes even that isn't enough! (although so far we have only camped in NE often at cloudy campsites and out west there is more sun!). We are considering upgrading to lithium battery for more usable power. 
    FYI: For those looking to save a few bucks check out Boondockers Welcome - cool site of people who offer up their property to campers for free.
    Former T@B 400 owner, now thinking about a 320. 2019 Honda Ridgeline.