Options

Photo Resizing

2»

Comments

• Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    @DougH -- How can you write scripts for data analytics if the forum is hosted by Vanilla? Can scripts be run against the data without full access to the code?

@Michigan_Mike, @Sharon_is_SAM -- Does this mean nuCamp has two separate subscriptions for two product lines? That seems like expensive overkill. Surely there is a lot of overlap between T@G and T@B. What about Cirrus and Avia? We all have much more in common than not. Wouldn't a single nuCamp forum with shared content and ability to segment by product line be better for all?

Could the photo size issue be remedied by limiting image file size to begin with? Doesn't the admin control panel allow you to set limits for image import and file attachments?
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited November 2019

@Michigan_Mike, @Sharon_is_SAM -- Does this mean nuCamp has two separate subscriptions for two product lines? That seems like expensive overkill. Surely there is a lot of overlap between T@G and T@B. What about Cirrus and Avia? We all have much more in common than not. Wouldn't a single nuCamp forum with shared content and ability to segment by product line be better for all?
    John,

Your suggestion is well taken and on the surface makes a lot of sense. However we have been down this pathway earlier and it was decided to separate the two trailers since it had created some confusion when people were discussing various components on the trailers. 

In addition to that nuCamp wanted to open up and make the small teardrop forum all inclusive so that the former factory built Little Guy trailers and other small teardrop brands could join and contribute to discussions.  I will also add that our past experiences in building the original forum areas has shown that although change was difficult for some and the separation created some early anxiety among our members; things worked out well and the forum areas flourished as an end result.

As far as the Avia and Cirrus truck camper are concerned, individuals with these units can ask questions and join in with the T@B forum for now as the components in both products to the best of my knowledge are similar and have more in common (e.g., gray & black tanks, Alde unit, A/C, etc.) which is a better fit.  Two forum areas is tough enough to manage as opposed to creating two more!  😱😀👍🏻
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,592
    DougH said:

For each user, the attached output file tabforum2019.txt has, sorted from bad to good, the name of the user, their percent of sizing pictures correctly (93.4% for me), how many small pics, and how many too large pics.  That's then followed with the date, width, height, discussion URL, and image URL of any oversized pictures such as:

--------------------------
      411. DougH                               93.4    85     6
             20180826    800    666

Neat!

Was disappointed with my 84%, thought I was doing better.  On the plus side most of my over size images are near the 800x600 guideline. Have resized Six images  from past year that were far more than slightly over guidelines.

Now am at 87% good ! ! =) ! !

Thanks for doing the work & post.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited November 2019
    Speaking of photos, did everyone see who made the Nucamp IG page today?  @jkjenn are you a semi-official photographer for our camper benefactors like ML is?  Beautiful composition.

2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited November 2019
    That is some impressive bit-twiddling you've done there, @DougH!  And thank you (I think) for sharing the results from your script.

Fortunately (or not), your OCD warning didn't stop me from diving in to try & redeem myself from my less-than-stellar resizing record.  My percentage is (or was) significantly worse than I expected, despite having resized all of my photos, just not enough. 

So, thanks to your handy links, I was able to find my images relatively easily for starting the more time-consuming process to download, resize, re-sharpen & re-upload them. 

I'm probably 2/3 done already, after a day or so, thanks to help from my android photo editor's batch processing mode which speeds things up.  It let's me choose a group of photos to automatically apply resizing & sharpening presets, and it has a rather smart batch resizing tool that does exactly what I need..

So, it is smart enough to meet sizing requirements for both edges, regardless of what kind of crop ratio is used.  It's still very time consuming to slog through all the  downloading, processing, uploading, saving, etc, to reprocess. 

And I have found more images that are not on your list, but should be.  Also, I wonder what happens when others quote you with your image inside their quote - will those need reprocessing too?  If so, I cannot do it.

Now, if I can just figure out how to do that same kind of automatic batch resizing when editing a single image.

As Taylor Swift said, " Look what you made me do"!

PS:  Do you take requests?  Can your script be run for a single user, so, for example, after I'm finished making all my corrections, to see if I  missed anything?
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    Just as an FYI and not to add fuel to the fire...I’m pretty sure the Vanilla forum default upload file configuration is 8Mb. A normal 800x600 picture is approximately 1.83Mb. 
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Would photo size be a moot point if the forum was able to display images as thumbnails unless you click to view the original?
    Is the goal to support low bandwidth users and those with limited data plans?

Speaking of thumbnails, what's up with the system icon/image displayed on left of topic title?
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    edited November 2019
    @TabberJohn my iPad shows the picture defined by the original poster next to the original poster’s username and no icon to the left of the title of the post. At the top of this thread, it’s system which has no associated picture and as you may have guessed, a member of the admin team has started a new thread from another thread which may have wandered far afield from that op, sort of like me, now. 
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    edited November 2019
    I just finished updating 320 of my photos with properly sized ones (including the 284 listed by the script, plus 36 more I found).

The total file size for these jpg files with compression set to 95% (high quality) was 66.3 MB, so the average file size was only  207 KB. That's quite small & nowhere close to 1.83 MB.  An uncompressed image file format would make larger files of course, as would a file format with 16-bit color versus the typical compressed jpg file with 8-bit color. 
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    jgram2 said:
    @TabberJohn my iPad shows the picture defined by the original poster next to the original poster’s username and no icon to the left of the title of the post. 
    Here's what it looks like on Win10 with Chrome and Edge:

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @TabberJohn System is considered the OP in this circumstance; there is no photo/icon for System, hence a “broken” image. Does that make sense?
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    "@DougH, now you’re just showing off!  All kidding aside, I am glad your program only shows 25% of over-sized pictures. 
    ..."

@Sharon_is_SAM,
    It only shows 25%?  Can you elaborate, please?  Was my tedious work to resize all my photos on Doug's list just a waste of time?
    I did find 36 more that were not on DougH's list that were too big, but that was a fairly small fraction of the total, not multiple times greater than were on the list.

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    jgram2 said:
    @TabberJohn System is considered the OP in this circumstance; there is no photo/icon for System, hence a “broken” image. Does that make sense?
    The "System" icon used to be a white V on a blue and red background. If I go to the System profile and return, it reappears. It doesn't stick, however. I'm guessing something got broken in the last round of Vanilla updates.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @BrianZ - My dear fellow over achiever!  Rest easy knowing that your percentage of correctly sized photos far exceeds this lowly moderator’s😂. I caught myself considering resizing my “in error” photos and then stopped myself when I realized I was falling into @DougH’s OCD trap!  Way too busy - besides, my over sized photos may have occurred way before the rules came out.  That’s my story and I am sticking to it.  Until Doug comes up with a program that automatically corrects my pictures, I will have to content myself with a slowly rising correctly sized photo percentage.  And, BTW, I think us Mods should get extra credit for resizing and reminding members and teaching newbies😄.   
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Sorry, sorry, sorry.  I did include a trigger warning.  And didn't include the script output that showed how many times members used dangling participles.  :)
    I just now changed up the output a bit to only show megabytes "wasted" by members by not sticking to the moderator suggested limits.  Showing the previous good vs. bad ratio wasn't really representative since a person with only one post would show 100% waste even if posting just one 150 KB picture at 801x601.  In other words, it's the folks that consistently post hundreds of 4000x3000 images that slow more threads down.  Nobody does that though, so all is well with the world.  I also didn't include shots in the per user listings that were slightly over the limits, if the file size of that picture was smaller than the average file size that is within the 800x600 limits... cause after all that kind of image won't slow the browsing experience at a campground with iffy 3G service only or burden the NuCamp server. And I also tried to not include in the calculation of the average good size anyone's profile shots since they're usually (but not always) small anyway. 
    So now I personally have three that are over-sized and also over the average file size of 106 KB.  So out of 612 members I'm 283rd, or in the top 50% chance of someday going to the Good Place, but I effectively wasted 0.3Mb with my few oversized pics (negligible).

283. DougH                              0.324 MB     98     3
            20180826    800   666   407.5 KB
            20180922    800   720   132.0 KB
            20181107    640   640   107.3 KB

Attachments last updated Nov 24, 2019

• Options
    What other stats can be extracted?
    For example, number of users, total storage size, and page views per month?
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    @TabberJohn : The first two only.  Those things a browser would see.

• Options
    DougH said:
    @TabberJohn : The first two only.  Those things a browser would see.
    So how big is this forum in gigs?
  • Options
    Only 5-10, varying over time.  So if you need to capture the whole site for offline reading when boondocking off the net, it's very doable.

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,592
    DougH said:
    . . . changed up the output a bit to only show megabytes "wasted" by members by not sticking to the moderator suggested limits. 
      283. DougH                              0.324 MB     98     3       
    Nice!! Again! . . . . like this analysis more than original - - - even if it caused me to edit a few more pictures ;)

From (your .txt report)
        MuttonChops 6.052 MB 194 21
    To (my estimate) after a few more edits
        MuttonChops 3.99 MB --- 14

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+