Options

Electrical Wall Outlets Not Working

I have been checking the systems in my new 2020 Tab 400 BDL today and have found that 3 out of 4 electrical wall outlets are not working.
The one wall outlet that is working is over the sink.  The others not working are in the bathroom, below the dinette and the one in the cubby next to the bed.
The fridge, microwave, TV and radio seem to be working fine.  Has this been a common issue for Tab owners?  I checked the fuses and circuit breakers and all seem to be OK.  Any recommendation son a fix/solution?

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,676
    Reset the GFCI?
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    My GFCI over the sink controls itself, the outlet below the dinette, the bathroom and the outside outlet. The outlet in the cubby by the bed is not part of that circuit. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    lpantherslpanthers Member Posts: 32
    I’m pretty sure I reset the GFCIs on all but the cubby because it does not have one.  There is no clicking noise like some GFCIs have when resetting.

I also forgot about checking the outside outlets.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    If the red light is lit on your GFCI, it needs reset. 

Two weeks ago, we had one horrific thunderstorm while I was away from my camper, so I don’t know how bad it was blowing. But my GFCI circuit was “blown”, the red light was on and I could not get that circuit to reset for two days.

My conclusion was that there was hard rain blown into the outside outlet (I had an extension cord plugged into it) and the circuit blew and took two days to dry out. It hadn’t happened before in the year I’ve lived in the 400. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    We have a T@B 400, 2018, and some of our outlets only work if we're plugged into an electric site. When on battery, they don't work. I assumed that's normal--were you using battery? 
  • Options
    I was on shore power from my house.
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    I don't know from personal experience, but I have heard that with the 2020 there are 3 inverter powered 120vac outlets--the cubby by the bed, one in the bathroom, and one under the passenger side of the dinette.  However, these outlet do not work unless the inverter is ON!  If you are connected to shore power those outlets will automatically switch to shore power rather than the battery but the inverter must still be on.
  • Options
    I tried it and 2 of the outlets are now working but the one under dinette still does not work.  I wonder why it is wired like this.  But you are right the inverter must be turned on.  Thanks!
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    This is probably done so they don't have to worry about an automatic transfer switch.
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    Cheryl13Cheryl13 Member Posts: 30
    Just had the same thing happen in our trailer. The outlets that normally only work when plugged into shore power did not work. The problem was clearly not with the outside power connection because the Hughes Power Watchdog surge protector we use monitors the outlet - everything was correctly connected and working. Heat pump, microwave, etc. all fine. We could not get the inside outlets (or the outside one) to come back on, despite trying to reset GFCI. The outlets worked two days ago. We then drove an entire day in rain and snow, and then they didn’t work. Drove the next day in dry weather and that evening were able to reset the GFCI next to the kitchen sink, and now everything works again. 
    We would never have thought that the outside outlet could be the source causing the failure of all the inside outlets. Thank goodness for this forum, or we would never have figured it out! Thank you, Verna! 
    2021 T@B 400
    2019 Subaru Ascent
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    You need to check the seal around the outside outlet.  Out TaB400 outside outlet had a failed seal, allowing water into the inside of the trailer and into the outlet, which could cause a short.  We had it resealed with RTV caulking, and not the foam gasket that it had originally.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    edited January 2022

Our 2020 400 BDL is the same, they only work if you we turn on the inverter.

Sorry, I posted this AFTER I read your cure.

Brad

2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 362
    I think @Denny16 is one the right track.  I had a quad box on a work site that was dead and it turned out to be moisture in the box and on the GFCI, not standing water just moisture.  Once I dried out the box and outlet with a heat gun it worked fine.  It doesn't take much moisture to trip those.
    DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4