Options

Mattress covers

We’re new to our Tab 400 NuCamp and want to buy snug mattress covers so we don’t need to sleep in our sleeping bags directly on the cushions. Has anyone else had this desire? 
Thank you, 
Pam Keul

Comments

• Options
    grsiepkagrsiepka Member Posts: 58
    Why not just regular bedding?
    2020 T@B 400 Boondock Lite - 2018 Toyota Tundra Platinum - Tempe AZ
  • Options
    RCBRCB Member Posts: 193
    What sleeping bags ! This is glamping not camping - no sleeping bags in our 400. We have made double sheet “bags”, each of us having a separate double thickness sheet cover. When it gets cooler we can insert a thin blanket into them. There is a mattress pad and fitted sheet as the base. When the bed is made up a quilt cover goes over all for a neat appearance. During 45 + years of boating we never used sleeping bags. They are just too warm and constrict movement.
    400 - 2019
    St Catharines, ON
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I love my sleeping bag.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Hi, @Keul. If you want to sleep in sleeping bags, then sleep in sleeping bags. I keep mine in my 400  for emergencies. I did use it in the winter inT@B 320, but I had to tear down the bed every morning so I had my sofa during the day. 

In the T@B 400, you’ll be sleeping on top of the mattresses. I use a fitted and flat sheets, a blanket and a quilt. It makes it look homey and I only have to make up the bed without having to stuff the sleeping bag in the compression sack every morning. 

You can find fitted mattress covers and there are mattress covers that don’t look like mattress covers. Perhaps someone will come up with the name of them. Therma.....something or other that are sheet sets sewn together. 

Do some searching here on the forum for sheets and I’m sure you’ll enjoy the reading, plus you’ll find different configurations others use. 

Happy camping. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    KeulKeul Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for expanding my thinking and giving me hope, Verna!
    Pam
  • Options
    KeulKeul Member Posts: 3
    Type your comment
    When I think of putting a regular mattress pad and fitted sheet on that thin mattress, it sounds like a hot mess. I want something that fits. My dad used to say the people in hell want ice water.
    Thank you all for your help!
    Pam
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @Keul For more discussions, search on mattress. You can scan the titles to see what might be applicable. Lots of products and ideas that work, depending on your goals. (If you’ve already done that search, my apologies!)
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    jameskuzmanjameskuzman Member Posts: 140
    Keul said:

When I think of putting a regular mattress pad and fitted sheet on that thin mattress, it sounds like a hot mess. I want something that fits. 
    I just went through this over the weekend in preparation for our first outing in a couple of weeks. Bear in mind that my OCD kicks in big time when it comes to bedding, and I'm very particular about how it fits and looks; I just can't get comfortable in a bed that has ill-fitting sheets. It's a curse.

After reading through every bedding-related post on this forum, I found that most people recommended using full size sheets ("full" is the same as "double" should you run across that term) which measure 54x75 inches. The three mattresses on the 400 together measure 55x79. If you get a set where the fitted sheet has deep enough corner pockets, you can compensate for the extra 4" in length and 1" in width either using the mattresses alone or with a mattress topper.

Because of the tight quarters, I could not manage to get the fitted sheet on inside the camper without the elastic on the fitted sheet pulling up one or both of the end cushions. I ended up taking the mattresses out, laying them on the dining room table, fitting the sheet, and taking the whole affair out to the camper (a feat in itself). I'm still not thrilled with the fit of the fitted sheet, but we're going to live with it for our first outing to see if the mattresses alone offer enough support or we'll need a mattress topper. Either way I'm going to add a mattress pad. 

The top sheet was another story. Tucking it in where it should be tucked and letting it stay loose where it should be loose was not easy, again, mostly because you're always sitting on top of the bed you're trying to make. 

I absolutely see a quilt or cover in the future just for appearance's sake, unless the nice men in white coats wrap me in the sheets and take me away first :-)

Jim Kuzman, Girard OH - 2019 T@B 400 - TV 2019 Volkswagen Atlas SE 4Motion w/ Factory Tow Package
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Check out short queen RV sheets at Amazon.  60 x 75 for a 10 inch mattress.  We use it on the clamshell with a mattress size of 58 x 71 plus a mattress pad.  Not sure if it would be too short for the 400.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    I bought an ordinary queen mattress pad for our T@B 400 mattress. On top of that, I put a flannel sheet set that I had leftover from a full size (double) bed that we no longer have. On top of that is a queen sized comforter. We also have 4 pillows to be able to prop up for easier reading in bed. It all works out just fine, with a bit of crawling around on the bed to get things tucked. 
  • Options
    simonseyzsimonseyz Member Posts: 44
    @Keul I had try everything and size out there for my 400. The best combo I came up with was a "Lucid" 2 inch gel memory foam mattress topper from Amazon, queen size trimmed on the side to fit. Also, "Cool Max" mattress pad from Camping World, full size....fits perfect!..... and any full size sheet set. The bed looks and feels better then my home bed!
    2018 T@B 400+++2016 Chevy Colorado, 3.6 V6
    Hamburg, NY