Options

Pre Mid-Winter Trip Winterizing Required?

We plan to depart (from Wisconsin) in November to Texas and return in early December prior to departing again in mid-February. Is it safe ("not freeze water lines") if our TAB 400 Boondock Lite is stored in our not heated garage with the TAB heater running? I would prefer to not winterize the TAB for the two months between trips.  Advice, thoughts and comments welcomed.  Thanks
2019 TAB 400 Boondock

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,499
    I personally would not leave my TaB plugged in and using the Alde continuously for that length of time.  If you plan to need to winterize for your travel in mid february, it may be easier to just do it.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited August 2019
    I tried simply heating the Tab for the tail end of winter one year.
    I hadn't thought about the black and gray water dump valves...
    Even if you thoroughly drain the tanks, Water can sit in the gate valve mechanism, and then freeze. I got a hairline crack in the gate valve, so had to replace it.
    Also the shower trap is likely not in a heated area.
    You might be able to get away with your idea, if you treat only the dump valves (operate the valve while antifreeze is in contact with it), and the shower trap with antifreeze.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    If you have access to a compressor, it really takes a out 20 minutes to blow all of the lines out. Open your fresh water tank to drain on your way home so that hills and gravity work its magic to empty the tank for you.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    I would winterize it like normal and then just before your return.

I simply isn't worth the worry and hassle of risking a freeze or the wear on trailer components to save less an hour's worth of labor
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    RV antifreeze is cheap and frozen lines/connections are a pain.
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    jrhameljrhamel Member Posts: 101
    @Gliddenwoods, Thanks for the post. I was wondering the same thing. We live in the Madison area and will be taking off in January wondered about what we would need to do with our 400 BD Lite. Looks like antifreeze. 

We do you live?
     20 T@G XL Boondock and 2019 Ford F 150 4x4

Madison, Wi
  • Options
    GliddenwoodsGliddenwoods Member Posts: 43
    Door County.
    Yes antifreeze it is; at home and on the road before mid-winter returns.
    2019 TAB 400 Boondock
  • Options
    @Gliddenwoods, do you blow out your lines and use antifreeze in your P traps/tank valves or do you use antifreeze throughout your plumbing including the Alde?
  • Options
    fnova5fnova5 Member Posts: 10
    I have heard that blowing out your lines and just using antifreeze in the P traps/tank values is just fine.    I plan to do just that, any reason why I would not?  And not use antifreeze through the plumbing.
    fnova5 2019 T@B 400/F150/Broomfield Colorado
  • Options
    The plumbing lines on the TaBs are short and easy to blow dry.  Essential that you take your time, open faucets and valves one at a time, allow your compressor to build pressure in between.  Working antifreeze into your gray and black tank valves is important to displace any remaining water.  Make sure your fresh water tank is empty and the drain is dry, too.  

https://us.v-cdn.net/5021717/uploads/editor/f4/n58uymbo6aav.pdf