Options

Simple 320S Alde Tank Access & Bleeder Location

MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
edited August 2019 in Modifications & Upgrades
Seems I'm always checking the Alde Tank or having to access the tank area for wiring and those small head, long wood screws holding the cabinet panel in place are a pain.
So, installed two Pronged Tee Nuts (8/32) and now use easy to turn machine screws.
= = = = =
While working on a different project I had the Passenger Side Cabinet Panel  off (opposite side from Alde Access Panel) and noticed the primary glycol bleeder value is located on the floor in that space . . .

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited August 2019
    That is a cool solution, but I am perplexed about why it requires such frequent access and tweaking. I believe the only time I accessed that area was for curiosity and to make sure I had enough fluid. My Alde has been such low maintenance. I thought I had a problem, once, but I believe I needed to simply open the LP tank much more slowly. This seems especially true after elevation gain. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    jkjenn said:
    That is a cool solution, but I am perplexed about why it requires such frequent access and tweaking.
    The first year of ownership I only checked the fluid level twice and all was well**.  Then this past spring I checked to find the tank empty and a couple of months later it was very low (needing additional fluid).  So I've increased the frequency of checking.
    System has no signs of leaking so assume this is normal usage.
    ** from factory tank was over filled, as in at the filler cap level

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,657
    Even if you only check it once a year, this is heroic work.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    I just removed the screws permanently on mine.  The panel slides in & out with little effort and stays in place once it is in place.
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited August 2019
    Is the point maybe that one wouldn't need a screwdriver to remove a bolt with a head that is easy to grip with only fingertips?  In this case, it may reduce any disincentive to check it more frequently if it can be done without tools.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    I'm curious about that bleeder--I'm pretty sure mine (2015) doesn't have one in that location, though there is one on the passenger side of the back fin-tube convector.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    BrianZ said:
    Is the point maybe that one wouldn't need a screwdriver to remove a bolt with a head that is easy to grip with only fingertips? 
    I'm using Pan Head Screws so a screwdriver is needed to start/finish but once loose fingertips work fine & fast . . . something I could never do with the wood screws . . .