Options

Jensen TV - 90 Degree/Right Angle F Type Coaxial Cable Connector

I could not find any posts about the 90 degree coaxial connector on the back of the Jensen TV, so I am posting some photos of it for others.

I am currently camping at an RV park on the Oregon coast and my cable connection did not seem as good as it should be.  I was trying to hand  tighten the coaxial connection at the back of the Jensen TV and this 90 degree/right angle connector fell apart into my hand.  I am not familiar with the design of this particular connector, so I can't determine if it is simply cheap and disintegrated, or if it isn't really broken.  For the time being, I was able to connect the coax cable directly to the back of the TV without using the 90 degree connector, but I will likely replace the connector with a better design.

I am curious if anyone else has had an issue with this connector, or its design.  It appears to me that the pin part of the connector (piece furthest to the right in pictures #2 and #3 below) simply sits loosely within the nut (center piece in photos.)  However, the nut has no apparent point of attachment to the 90 degree housing of the connector (piece furthest to the left in the photos.)  Therefore, even if the compression of the nut as it is screwed/tightened onto the back of the TV may hold the pin in place inside the TV connector, there is nothing to attach/hold the other end of that nut to the 90 degree housing.  I can see what appears to be some sort of adhesive inside that 90 degree housing (see third photo), but it would seem that it would take more than that to hold this connector together............which is probably why it fell apart.  (By the way, if it is not evident from the photos, in the third photo you can see that the end of the pin that fits inside the 90 degree housing appears to merely make metal to metal contact with a thin piece of metal inside the 90 degree housing to create the connection with the incoming coaxial signal.)

Any comments or other explanations about the design of this connector?  Thanks in advance.  (Greg)

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
(Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

Comments

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    It’s broken just get a new one. Most electronic stores.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    You can find them on Amazon, too.  I have lots of F-connectors from old cable TV installs over the years.  The connectors with any 90 degree angle never seemed to hold up well if the cable moved a lot.  If the device was moved or swiveled they seemed to take a beating.  The nut part just seems to barely hang together against the base.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I’ve had two broken ones. I carry a spare. They’re rather inexpensive, so I’m not surprised they have  a short lifespan. I do change from my indoor Mohu Leaf local channels antenna to cable in the summer, and then I change to my DISH for the winter. 

I also bought a small set of wrenches, including the correct size for the connection. I keep it behind the TV hanging on the bracket. My fingertips certainly appreciate it. I think using the wrench also has prolonged the life of my current “L” connector. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    grubbstergrubbster Member Posts: 114
    I took mine off.  Not necessary.
    2023 F-150 Powerboost hybrid
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock
  • Options
    I bet if you found a flexible short F-connector cable, and a female to female connector, you could eliminate that weak link right angle. 
    2017 Outback
  • Options
    davel4wadavel4wa Member Posts: 91
    Those right angle F connectors are simply pressed together. Once it comes apart you really can't successfully repair it. Buy a new one, eliminating that part will likely put stress on the TV connector and you definitely don't want to break that one.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    @Verna knows her cables. 😉

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    Thanks all for the input.  Like @grubbster, I have found that it is an unnecessary part in my particular situation.  I had enough slack (but not much) in the coax to make a direct connection.  But, as @pthomas745 suggested, I might consider purchasing a flexible version of the connector just to remove any potential stress on the connector.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    I found this post. Never used TV for anything other than Playing downloaded movies from my iPad to the TV. What is that coaxial port on the TV used for? Is it just for the Air antennas? You don’t need it to watch cable plugged in to side of camper from the campground, right? (Never done that).  Also, a question about the HDMI that is plugged into back of TV (the one that came with it). Does that need to be plugged into TV in order to use cable plugged in from the campground? I unplug mine to use my Fire Stick occasionally over my hotspot. There are also AV ports on the TV but assuming those are never used since I have HDMI cables. Sorry so many questions. 
  • Options
    The coax port on the outside of the trailer is just that:  a coax port.  If you hook up a TV antenna for "over the air" TV, it will work.  If you are at a campground with cable, that same port will send the signal to the TV.  The only thing to remember is the TV should be on the correct input:  "Cable" or "Antenna" whatever your TV labels the inputs as.
    The HDMI will have no difference to the signal from the Coax input.  Most likely (I'm guessing here) is it connects to the Jensen sound unit.  Your TV has speakers, so as long as you want to listen with them from the television, it doesn't matter if it is plugged in or not.
    2017 Outback