Options

Fan Switch

When running the AC, should I also have the fan switch on?
2017 T@B 320S, 2011 2WD Honda Pilot, Coming out of The Woodlands, TX....Mark & Carolyn

Comments

• Options
    jameskuzmanjameskuzman Member Posts: 140
    edited August 2019
    When the fan is in the "Auto" position, it will switch on and off with the A/C compressor. When in the "Low" or "High" positions, it will run continuously at the chosen speed regardless of whether or not the thermostat is calling for A/C and the compressor is running.

There are two advantages to keeping the fan running. One, it helps circulate the air which eliminates stratification (the tendency for cool air to settle near the floor and warm air to rise) which can increase your comfort and give you some evaporative cooling from the vents (just like you'd get running a small table fan). And two, it provides a bit of white noise and masks the sudden shift to/from dead silence when the compressor starts which can help get a better night's sleep if you're a light sleeper and tend to wake up to changes in ambient sound levels.

The disadvantage to keeping the fan on full time: Battery drain if you're boondocking and not hooked up to shore power, though you probably wouldn't be running the A/C on battery anyway, at least not for very long! 
    Jim Kuzman, Girard OH - 2019 T@B 400 - TV 2019 Volkswagen Atlas SE 4Motion w/ Factory Tow Package
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    wooper said:
    When running the AC, should I also have the fan switch on?
    Which year and model T@b? Are you referring to the Fantastic Fan or a fan installed to help air circulate in the 320 window style AC?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,499
    If you mean the accessory fan that is switched on the wall - yes, always turn it on when you run the AC.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    wooperwooper Member Posts: 75
    @jkjenn ...320S

2017 T@B 320S, 2011 2WD Honda Pilot, Coming out of The Woodlands, TX....Mark & Carolyn
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited August 2019
    If you have the window style AC unit, I would run the AC fan whenever I ran the AC. You should crack the vent, but it is unnecessary to run the Fantastic fan. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    rcarlson1957rcarlson1957 Member Posts: 180
    Newbie here. Which position is on on AC Fan switch. Looked all over manuals and it doesn’t even mention it. 
    2018 TAB 320S Silver/Black w/Dandelions
    2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL (AWD) Lunar Silver Metallic
    Rick and Barbara - North Texas 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Enjoy doing and sharing mods
  • Options
    rcarlson1957rcarlson1957 Member Posts: 180

Also should I have fantastic fan open and/or windows cracked too?
    2018 TAB 320S Silver/Black w/Dandelions
    2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL (AWD) Lunar Silver Metallic
    Rick and Barbara - North Texas 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Enjoy doing and sharing mods
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,499
    Newbie here. Which position is on on AC Fan switch. Looked all over manuals and it doesn’t even mention it. 
    Are you talking about the accessory fan switch on the wall or the fan dial on the A/C unit?

Also should I have fantastic fan open and/or windows cracked too?
    To create air flow it is helpful to crack both.  Keep the accessory fan turned on, too.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio