Outdoor storage in snowy climates?

We’ve been storing our T@B in a friend’s barn in the winter. It’s a 45 minute drive out in the country and he spends his winters down South so we don’t have access to it until he returns. I’ve been looking for alternatives and there is a very nice storage facility 5 minutes from us, with a paved, lighted, and gated lot. There are security cameras and they do “vermin control.”

I think some folks here store their T@Bs outdoors. How has that worked out? Any issues or tips? We have the Pahaque cover, and it’s close enough for us to go out and brush the snow off periodically.

We can keep the T@B on our driveway in the summer, but it needs to be elsewhere in the winter so our plowing service can clear the driveway. Unfortunately there isn’t a place in the yard we cap park it. 
John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    Mine has weathered four winters just fine, stored outdoors and under the PahaQue cover. I do rake it off and snow blow around it after a storm.
    The only additional thing I do is stuff a little copper mesh into the open ends of the plastic trim, underneath the camper. While I hove no concerns of mice actually getting into the cabin, the trim looks like it could make a nice cozy tunnel system for my little furry neighbors. Might not be even be an issue with the "vermin control" you describe.
    2015 T@B S
  • T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    For several years here in snowy Michigan, we stored ours outside with a PahaQue cover.   The only issue experienced is when brushing snow off the roof, be careful.   I bumped up against the curved trim with the broom handle when reaching from the side and cracked the trim in several places.
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    No problems for me!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• T_BDancingT_BDancing Member Posts: 85
    I am in NYC area and I will have my 'future' Tab on the driveway as well. All infos given by owners in the same situation will be real helpful. Thanks and thank you @Photomom for bringing it up.
    Tent to trailer w/TV: 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude 3.6L
    2019 Tab 320 S Boondock Edge and get me out of NYC!!!
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    We've kept ours outdoors since we bought it in 2013. We finally put a cover on last year, because we'd seen a bit of leaking in the roof after a couple of freeze/thaw/freeze cycles where snow was still on the roof.
    We do push the snow off every so often, when it gets thick and heavy.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @Photomom, we have kept our t@b covered during the winters here in Michigan. It has suffered no ill effects as far as we can tell. We probably have more snow than most, as we suffer regularly from (great)"lake affect" snow patterns. Most of the winter, we cannot get to the t@b in the tiny 40' backyard due to heavy drifting related to that "lake affect" snow. I think the cover helps to distribute the snow load and we haven't had any type of denting or sagging develop. The trailer is about 12/15 feet from my bedroom window, so it does get visually checked, especially after heavy snow and thaw/freeze cycles.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    ChanW said:
    We've kept ours outdoors since we bought it in 2013. We finally put a cover on last year, because we'd seen a bit of leaking in the roof after a couple of freeze/thaw/freeze cycles where snow was still on the roof.
    Around the fan or other spots? I agree about pushing the snow off. It tends to slide off pretty easily.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    My only suggestion is to look into a gps tracker, like the Spot Trace, so if there is a theft issue from storage you will know it right away. You are notified when "the asset has moved" even a few feet.
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 731
    Mine will be stored in the backyard next to the garage because I don't want to pay a storage facility, so it will have the $100 cover from Amazon (it's like the one that fits an R-Pod) and if you put a tarp over that, the snow will slide right off with not too much effort in heavy snows.  I always cover the trailer in the winter so snow doesn't just sit on the roof.  It's amazing what a little bit of protection does to keep it looking nice.  
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • JP2558JP2558 Member Posts: 219
    I have a 2018 T@B 320-CS with a Maxx Air vent cover. This adds about six inches of height to the hatch cover, and the PahaQue vendor specifically says their cover doesn’t support vent covers. The previous owner bought this cover at the recommendation of the dealer stating its purpose is to allow the hatch to remain open when it is raining. For that reason alone I like the concept, but now am wondering how best to cover the T@B from mid October to late March with the vent cover on top of the T@B. I suppose i could remove the vent cover in fall and reinstall in spring, but I'm lazy and would prefer an alternative solution. Anyone with any thoughts on how to approach this?

Thanks, Jerry 

2019 Honda Pilot AWD and 2018 T@B 320-CS hanging out on the left edge of Lake Erie.
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    JP2558 said:
    I have a 2018 T@B 320-CS with a Maxx Air vent cover. This adds about six inches of height to the hatch cover, and the PahaQue vendor specifically says their cover doesn’t support vent covers. The previous owner bought this cover at the recommendation of the dealer stating its purpose is to allow the hatch to remain open when it is raining. For that reason alone I like the concept, but now am wondering how best to cover the T@B from mid October to late March with the vent cover on top of the T@B. I suppose i could remove the vent cover in fall and reinstall in spring, but I'm lazy and would prefer an alternative solution. Anyone with any thoughts on how to approach this?
    I am not sure what “doesn’t support vent covers” means. We have the Maxxair Maxxfan which sticks up about 3.5” when it is closed and I can tell you that we have had the Pahaque cover on several times. 

Anyone have any idea why this wouldn’t work?
    edited August 2019
    I just learned the Maxx Air cover is 9.5 inches high. As for the ‘doesn't support vent covers’ comment, that is directly from the TearDropShop website link for the Tab 320 trailer cover, in the details section. I should clarify it says it doesn’t support vent add on accessories.

Thanks, Jerry 

2019 Honda Pilot AWD and 2018 T@B 320-CS hanging out on the left edge of Lake Erie.
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @JP2558, we also have the maxxaire vent cover. The standard t@b 320 cover fits perfectly over the vent cover and completely covers the t@b. The cover straps down well and stays in place the entire winter.

This is the Paha Que cover at work with the maxxaire vent cover on the t@b. Hope this helps, Jerry.  -Denise
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
    edited August 2019
    @jkjenn, the leak showed on the side wall in front of the right speaker. Just enough to stain the wall a bit, and a pillowcase below. I think it probably had to do with ice damming, because we'd had a good heavy dump or two, and some warm weather in between.
    jkjenn said:
    ChanW said:
    Around the fan or other spots? I agree about pushing the snow off. It tends to slide off pretty easily.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    We own a T@G and live in a small regin of Quebec where we get about 23 ft of snow a year. It never melt down completely before the spring.  Might have some rain during winter, that will freeze back the snow in a very hard surface right after average winter temp gets back to winter mode.

decided to get the cover available on a,azone after the sliding melting would pull my stickers down from the weight.  It as worked great.  I do brush the snow from every time I can, it can get 2 feet thick in just one or 2 snow fall.  And when I blow or plow the snow every other time of. So, I will try to move the trailer, just snow the snow that I brush from it does not become higher than the trailer itself.

I do think about building a small gazebo type shelter for it just for longtime protection. Do not want to go with temp winter shelter anymore, up here, they tend to crumble unless you are there to sweep them every storm and dammage the trailer.

but the tarp as been great, but did not resist my dog that was looking for a way to get in the trailer when I left her out by her self, tied up to close from the trailer while I was out skiing.  She s an alaskan malamuth and will try to get in her jeep or her trailer when she feels lonely.

i got an other one.  And si ply be gentle when pulling snow from the cover.  Plastic shovle/scrapper, no metal edge and a snow brush with a long reach.

just love winter.  :)
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
    @Luckyj, 23 feet! Wow. And I thought Buffalo got snow! You win.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    ChanW said:
    @Luckyj, 23 feet! Wow. And I thought Buffalo got snow! You win.
    Yeah, our record in ROC is 13 feet.  There have been times we’ve had to rake several inches off the roof when we get lake effect snow. 
    Thanks Dragonsdofly. That solves the Maxx Aire dilemma.

Thanks, Jerry