Options

Fastest way to stop tail light leakage.

Mine had leakage on drivers side. I put 3M 5200 white around biggest holes then clear silicon around the rest. Here in  Mobile Al we get a tremendous amount of rain and now it is dry inside. This is not for everyone but it sure stopped the leak. Even the wet area inside had dried up and gotten MUCH brighter.  I wish I could have made it look better, but in this 100 plus heat at least I stopped the leak! Art
2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge

Comments

• Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 617
    I think a better method is to take the light frame and corner off and apply sealant in the inner interface.  Try that if it leaks again.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
    Horigan said:
    . . . better method is to take the light frame and corner off and apply sealant in the inner interface. 
    Yep.  Seal the handle mounting screws & light frame screws . . . .

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    @MuttonChops. Would you just put a big glob of caulk on each of  the handle screws & caulk in the other screw holes & around the area where the wires come through & also around the light fixture before putting it back together?
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
    lkc001 said:
    @MuttonChops. Would you just put a big glob of caulk on each of  the handle screws & caulk in the other screw holes & around the area where the wires come through & also around the light fixture before putting it back together?
    Am No Expert - - - would attempt to remove the handle screws, clean off the old sealant, re-bed handle base with new sealant, and then use extra sealant on each screw as they are driven back in.

If all that is not possible most likely would clean off as much of the old sealant as possible from handle base edges back out the screws I can reach then use new sealant on each screw as they are driven back in and finally put a nice bead of sealant around all the handle base edges.

And Yes, the light fixture screws need sealant . . . black stuff tends to be reusable . . .
    However Wires use a cable pass-thru clamp {can't think of the correct name} that includes rubber seals; would just confirm it is tight.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    gulfarea said:
    Mine had leakage on drivers side. I put 3M 5200 white around biggest holes then clear silicon around the rest. Here in  Mobile Al we get a tremendous amount of rain and now it is dry inside. This is not for everyone but it sure stopped the leak. Even the wet area inside had dried up and gotten MUCH brighter.  I wish I could have made it look better, but in this 100 plus heat at least I stopped the leak! Art
    Definitely would not want to deal with any kind of repairs in 100° heat. Glad the wood is drying out, at least!

For others needing to do a quick repair like this to keep further damage from occurring, silicone and 3M 5200 are both problematic for different reasons. 5200 is the right material in that it’s polyurethane based, which is what nuCamp recommends, but is basically non removable...it’ll never leak again, yay, but you can’t easily go back and clean it up later either. 3M recommends the 4200 instead of 5200 if there is any possibility of eventually needing to remove the sealant.

Silicone isn’t a permanent fix as it eventually degrades or separates from the surface and doesn’t stick well to fiberglass, but it’s also virtually non removable as there will always be a residue left behind that nothing else sticks to either.

Obviously dismantling the area before resealing is best, but it might make sense to keep some 3M 4200 or the equivalent on hand in case emergency repairs are necessary, such as discovering a leak during a multi-day downpour.

2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited August 2019
    (wish I'd learned that before I'd used the 5200!)
    Note that the 3M 4200 is recommended where it won't be exposed to sunlight. The 4000UV is the UV resistant version.
    VictoriaP said:
    For others needing to do a quick repair like this to keep further damage from occurring, silicone and 3M 5200 are both problematic for different reasons. 5200 is the right material in that it’s polyurethane based, which is what nuCamp recommends, but is basically non removable...it’ll never leak again, yay, but you can’t easily go back and clean it up later either. 3M recommends the 4200 instead of 5200 if there is any possibility of eventually needing to remove the sealant.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya