FLOOR REPLACEMENT NEEDED ... 2005 TAB by Dutchman T2

Hi ... Recently purchased 2005 TAB and realized floor was dry rotted more than I thought ... other than that, very nice shape.  Thought we could replace myself and after reading links on it.... is a little more time and resources than thought for me to do. 

Does Any body know someone that I could Hire or bring it too that could put a new floor in?   I'm located in Minnesota Twin Cities area.  Please let me know as would like to hire someone right away to get fixed.

Bob   
2005 T@B Dutchman
2019 Tacoma

Comments

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The nüCamp factory has floor replacement down pat, on the Dutchman At@B’s like yours and on their own T@B’s.

Send an email with photos to repair@nucamprv.com. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    The factory will do a fabulous job, BUT they have a long lead time for appointments, so it won't be right away. But if you can wait, that is the place to do the work.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    We just had some factory service done and noticed that another T@b was getting the floor replaced. Austin mentioned that they’d done something like 80 floor replacements on Dutchman trailers. They have to remove everything inside then lift the body off the floor. Sometimes they have to replace part of the walls. If I recall correctly it’s about a week’s work for them. Not for the faint hearted diyer. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • CRETBOCRETBO Member Posts: 25
    Sent repairs an email ... shall see what they say, anxious to see what kind of price range it falls into.  Thanks for the info ... 
    2005 T@B Dutchman
    2019 Tacoma
  • Spruce1Spruce1 Member Posts: 100
    We have our 2014 320 serviced by a dealer in Mankato MN, Keepers RV.  It may be worth a call to them to ask whether they would be able to do the work.  They’ve served us well over the years. 
    2014 T@B-S
    2019 Honda Ridgeline, AWD, V6, 5,000 lbs towing capacity
    Minnesota
    Thanks all for your help ... we are going to give it a go this weekend and rip it apart and see if its just a partial floor needed or a whole new one.
    2005 T@B Dutchman
    2019 Tacoma
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    edited September 2019
    @CRETBO, several members have done the floor repair/replacement and posted here on the forum. One of the main details I remember  is that the floor is attached to the cab by only 6 main bolts on each side. First you remove the cabinets and the bolt locations are supposed to be easy to find. There are pics posted on tow to separate the cab from the floor. I was amazed to see that owner ran a small board through both front handles and another board through the rear handles, then using blocking and jacks simply lifted the cab off the floor. Don't know if you plan to go to those lengths, but it can be done by DIY's with a moderate skill level. Another question. Do you actually see rotted flooring? Others have posted that some of the sagging Dutchman floors were due to broken aluminum bracing in or under the flooring. That required repair of a different type altogether. Good luck with all of it.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
         We started yesterday(Floor was disgusting) and got all furniture out and Coolcat, Norcold out, and most of the floor.   We should have it gutted out cleaned up today(Sunday) and ready for floor install next weekend.  Will be using 1/4 x 4x8 HDPE panel and have a bunch of idea's that we have not quite decided on.  We are going to seal this TAB up good.   
    *** Noticed on Cool Cat that the drains are kind of high ... and A/C was tilted away from drain slightly ... the water would have had to fill the pan good in order to drain.  Do not like this set up ... might remove A/C all together and put in a MAX Fan Deluxe on roof as just have vent now.  Cool cat blows cold but being old and in a hard plastic tray where the drains are .... unless I can get the angle right so water doesn't have to fill the pan to drain ... strongly leaning that way. Unsure at this time.

2005 T@B Dutchman
    2019 Tacoma
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Most folks really like their Cool Cat.  I would rework the drain and keep the Cool Cat.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I’ve stayed cool all summer with my Cool Cat. I’m very happy with it. I would keep it. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    edited September 2019
    @CRETBO Under the User Manuals, PDF, Resources etc. category in the left hand column, you’ll find Blueprints for a 2003 DM Tab which might be helpful.
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5021717/uploads/editor/b0/zbpgne8a0hlm.pdf
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

well, thanks for all info ... its a big job, we've got the floor out and all furniture ect... The floor install is next this upcoming weekend. Luckily my son n law is in his element doing this and i'm along for the ride helping out what ever he tells me to do.  Will send some pics soon of the gut out....   Noticed white carpet roof, whats the best way to clean?  Its not bad but would like to freshen up?
    2005 T@B Dutchman
    2019 Tacoma
    edited October 2019
    Well, what an undertaking ... but we were able to put in an brand new floor!!   Total gut out and a brand new under bellies insulation and floor with lanolium finish.  This floor is now better than the original....
    1.  Used Azdel (Cutting board material) for bottom... sealed on both sides.  Sealed and sprayed bottom.
    2. Used 1" pink foam insulation between the bottom and floor.... added more bracing
    3.  Used the 4x8 sheets of 1/4" Azdel  on both sides and added lanolium
    4.  Added a rock guard to the front.
    2005 T@B Dutchman
    2019 Tacoma
    edited October 2019
     Had to delete my photos as they weren't sized right and causing problems with sight :o

2005 T@B Dutchman
    2019 Tacoma
    Sorry some pics were out of order ... old floor was completely removed .... if you ever see an older TAB and the floor is soft ... the whole thing is dry rotted ... guarantee it.
    2005 T@B Dutchman
    2019 Tacoma
    Beautiful job!  You should hire out🤣. I like your counter top.  Did you ever find out how to clean the ceiling carpet?  
    edited October 2019
    Thanks!!!   Still waiting to hear how to clean cealing carpet.  Thanks for noticing the countertop as that was replaced also as we wrecked to original during gut out as there were so many staples in it.  Love the new countertop that my wife picked out...
    2005 T@B Dutchman
    2019 Tacoma
    edited October 2019
    I was going to suggest a hand held steam cleaner with limited suction so you don’t pull it off the ceiling.  It is probably nylon, so even just vacuuming it will help, then maybe just spot treat with a 50% solution of white vinegar sprayed on then let it sit, then blot.  I will check the Yahoo Group to see if anyone has any ideas.  You may want to check with a pro carpet cleaner business to see if they have any tricks.
  • gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 504
    GREAT JOB! I love stories like this. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • HoBoHoBo Member Posts: 45
    This is amazing!  You may have inspired me to tackle this. I have a 2005 and know a new floor is in my future. Your pictures make it ‘seem’ pretty straightforward. I’d be curious what awful challenges you encountered during the process? If I had a handyman assist me is this something one could tackle? Also, what type of costs if you don’t mind me asking. Rumor has it that nuCamp floor replacement runs around 5k.  Nice work! Looks beautiful!
    HB 2009 DM T@D@ being towed by 2021 Subaru Ascent Asheville, NC/Clayton, GA
        Thank you!!  It's a nasty job!!!  As so many challenges, one must be very creative as they used so many staples ect...  about $900.00 in materials alone.  But we used alot of sealant and didn't cheap on that.  That includes also adding the rock guard diamond plate to front... probably the easiest thing we did.  I could definitely see the factory charging 5k as the labour is massive to do this.  Figure a full week of labour as we worked weekends only.

Bob
    2005 T@B Dutchman
    2019 Tacoma
  • MiquelCamoMiquelCamo Member Posts: 91
    @CRETBO, you should be very proud. It looks great and as you said, better than new.
    Mike and Lisa Campbell
    Springfield, MO
    2016 T@B Max S - Sold March 2020

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Wow, great work!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    Wowsers!!  Nice job putting humpty dumpty back together again.  Quite the feat.  You get a gold star ⭐ for a project well done.  Congratulations. 
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

Thanks all for the wonderful comments ... its a great feeling being done!   I'm in Minnesota so finished just in time to store it for the winter.  Can't wait to use it for the first time in the spring!! 

Bob
    2005 T@B Dutchman
    2019 Tacoma
  • HAWAIIANTABHAWAIIANTAB Member Posts: 18
    Wow, just reading this thread about replacing floor kinda scares me, as I thought that these Tabs were bullet proof with all the high tech materials. I expected this to happen on an older 'box type trailer' I once bought and ended up just selling it at a give away price after starting the work and saw it was a can of worms.
    I just bought a 2016 TAB outback in the hopes that it was new enough to avoid this major repair.
    Question is:  'how can I avoid this happening to me in the future??' and what caused it to happen in the first place??
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @HAWAIIANTAB, this will not happen to you or your trailer. The afore mentioned t@b was built by Thor/Dutchman and was constructed with a wooden floor. The newer (first few years of Pleasant Valley t@b production had very limited wood construction materials, excluding cabinets). I'm not sure if by 2016, but certainly by 2017 there is no longer any wood used in the construction of the t@b, again excluding cabinets. The cab part of the structure has an all aluminum frame with a composite resin kind of sandwich, made with azdel. That includes the walls, roof AND floor. Dutchman t@bs had water infiltration issues and thus the title of this thread. Your t@b may or may not have a wood underlayment beneath the vinyl flooring, but that would be the only concern foor you. An annual inspection, tightening on the visible square headed screws that sometimes work loose, and a caulking check will keep your t@b's cab in good shape. Standard axle/brakes/tires and wheel maintenance will apply. We now have over 35,000 miles on our 2017 and everything is solid, safe and ready to roll. You can look forward to many years, miles and adventures in your t@b.

Btw, congratulations on your trailer!  Happy t@bbing. 
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • HAWAIIANTABHAWAIIANTAB Member Posts: 18
    Thanks Dragons, my 2016 is  'azdel' and hopefully will last me longer. The thought of replacing another floor gave me the shivers ............major surgery!
    I think with the 2016 models, they were transitioning to all azdel, but there are some with meranti (mahogany luan).  There was a recent discussion that I can’t find.
    Here it is.  There is still wood in at least some 2016 model floors.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/127304#Comment_127304