How much hot water do I actually have available?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
2020 320 but probably applies to all T@bs. Never thought of this but I’m on city water so know I can take longer showers due to the endless water supply (gray tank is hooked up to dump at site). This probably applies whether on city water or tank but how much hot water is there available? I’m assuming since it’s only a 6 gal hot water tank (I think, maybe less), you still only get a limited amount of hot water regardless. Not a luxurious 10 min shower. Is this correct?

Comments

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,159
    edited September 2019
    It's actually only about two gallons in the Alde hot water jacket ("tank"). So depending how hot you take a shower, mixing that hot with cold for temp control, will determine your shower length!
    I tested it once on city water and off. With my limited 5 gallon fresh water, I got 5 minutes continually running shower. With the city water hooked up it was more like 10 minutes, lukewarm at the end.
    Neither time did I try to conserve by turning off the shower to soap up etc.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • So sounds like better to have your mixing valve turned up pretty high so you can mix cold water in with the hot if you want a 10 min shower. Correct? 
    Well, we don't have a mixing valve in our 2014, you just mix it the old-fashioned way with the faucet handles!
    I would say that the mixing valve is a safety feature so you don't burn yourself. It comes up pretty hot directly from the tank with no cold mixed in.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,673
    To learn about the real way to adjust the mixing valve go here https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/5018/no-hot-water-at-kitchen-sink-bathroom-sink-had-hot-water#latest

Go to May 24th Bayliss - has the best explanation.

Otherwise you will not be happy with your hot water output.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    @Missstsomewhere  not sure if you know this or not.    It is a really good idea to keep your gray and black valves closed even when hooked to city water and sewer.  When they are full then open them to drain.   This is especially important with the black tank as it helps the "solids" float or break up.    This way you don't end up with a black tank completely full of paper and solids.

Of course do as you will,  just my 2 cents
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    edited September 2019
    I always keep my black closed but did not know that I need to keep gray closed as well. I thought I could leave  the gray only open and let it drain into dump I’m hooked up to. So you have to let it get full, then dump it?  I’m not sure why that would be for the gray tank but good to know I guess! 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    edited September 2019
    I guess you have to be very specific on the Alde you have. Someone recently warned me NOT to remove the screw or water would come shooting out but Baylis said you have to remove the screw. Maybe you don’t on the 3010 but do on the 3020 with no fear of water coming out. I have the 3020. So much to learn! 
    The screw issue may depend on if you have a pressurized plumbing system or not.  Then again, maybe they changed the valve.  Either way, go slowly and be careful.
    Regarding the gray tank and the sewer hook up, although your water-filled P trap should prevent sewer gases from entering the TaB, we keep the valves closed on both tanks - just in case.
  • falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 758
    @Missstsomewhere
    It is not that water will shoot out when you REMOVE the screw on the mixing valve it is that there is a little spring and some other internal pieces that will drop (or shoot) off.  Then it is rather tricky to get the internals re-assembled correctly.  You only need to loosen the screw enough so that the external knob can be pulled to the side (or up depending on how your mixing valve is mounted) enough to clear the stop underneath the knob.  You can then tighten the screw and rotate the knob to increase the water temp.  repeat as necessary.
  • That may have changed on the 2020 3020 too. Screw came off, no water, no shooting parts. Water adjusted, no issue. I didn’t even need to take the screw off, just loosen it and the handle moved toward + easily. Hopefully that did the trick. Water is much hotter so I’m happy. 
  • TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    If your Alde 3020 is equipped with the Alde Flow plumbed into it, then you could have continuous hot water while plugged into shore power.  The amount of hot water then is only limited by the size of your fresh water supply and gray tank.  if you have full hookups, then it’s “unlimited”.  The Flow is a heat-exchanger add-on that increases the system’s ability to make hot water.  This capability is only available when using propane and electric mode on the Alde.
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    @Missstsomewhere you need to fill the gray tank so you can flush the black tank contents out of your hose.   

2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
    edited September 2019
    Another option for keeping the gray tank drain continually open at a full hookup site, is to incorporate a 'trap' into your drain hose. Put a 'dip' partway down the hose (making sure it's output is lower than your Tab's outlet). You can use blocks or rocks or whatever, but your hose needs to be long enough to accommodate the extra bends.
    This is a good idea in any case, unless you want your Tab's sewer vent venting the in-ground tank's lovely odor. Me, I'd rather keep the sewer smell in the sewer!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    Oh @ChanW - that's a great idea - a portable P trap!
    edited September 2019
    @Sharon_is_SAM , the pee-trap goes on the black tank drain! B)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    No @ChanW, the poo-trap goes on the black tank drain!

But seriously, leave your black tank valve closed until you dump and use the hose p-trap with gray water only.  @ChanW, @Cbusguy has a point - if you continuously drain your gray water, then how do you rinse your hose after emptying the black tank?  Maybe just flush a few times.