Options

Avia Owners...?

Om3Om3 Member Posts: 72
We currently have a T@B 400 (2018)...and are looking into the Avia.  We have never had a problem with towing our T@B 400...in fact, the T@B 400 with our truck is a dream to pull. Our concern is ... Will our Chevy Colorado 2019 handle the tow? What do Avia owners tow with?

Comments

• Options
    jameskuzmanjameskuzman Member Posts: 140
    The combination of engines, suspensions, cab and bed configurations, payload capacity, and the absence or presence of additional factory tow packages make it nearly impossible to give specific towing information for most pickups - there are just too many variables. That said, the latest (and very general) info on the Colorado from Chevy's own site says the 2.5L 4-cylinder can tow up to 3,500 pounds, and 3.6L V-6 can tow up to 7,000, and the 2.2L turbo diesel will pull 7,700. Tongue weight wasn't plainly listed and I didn't dig too deeply to find it. 

NuCamp is estimating the Avia will weigh in around 5,200 pounds dry with a tongue weight of 700 pounds.  That rules out the 2.2L 4-banger for sure. Depending upon what Chevy lists for hitch weight, the 3.6L V-6 may be out as well (or very near its limits), leaving the 2.2L diesel as the only power plant with some wiggle room. 

Again, just generalizing to jumpstart the conversation. You'll want to figure out the specifics of your particular truck to ensure a safe tow. 

Jim Kuzman, Girard OH - 2019 T@B 400 - TV 2019 Volkswagen Atlas SE 4Motion w/ Factory Tow Package
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    I'm not sure there are any Avia owners yet, at least not many.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    Check this out...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4DZp-TD9QU
    Specs are listed in the video description (below the video).
    700 lb. tongue...
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    jameskuzmanjameskuzman Member Posts: 140
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    I think the Avia is going to be a stretch for most tow vehicles that are NOT full framed trucks. The Colorado qualifies, BUT it needs to have ratings for 700 pounds of hitch weight, check that and you will have your answer.

My personal opinion is full sized trucks only for safety with some margin and it probably is best with a 3/4 ton rather than 1/2 ton rating and of course some sort of sway control if not a full WDH.
    I'm in agreement with you here. We're a long way from diesel dualie territory here, but I'd want the margin offered by a 3/4 ton full-size pickup for an Avia. 
    Jim Kuzman, Girard OH - 2019 T@B 400 - TV 2019 Volkswagen Atlas SE 4Motion w/ Factory Tow Package
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    Agree I don't believe the Colorado or Canyon are enough truck.      Nor would a tacoma, frontier, or ranger for that matter.  
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    Just to enter into the conversation, we are seriously considering purchasing an Avia, and going full time. We had always towed our 320 S with a gmc Envoy Xl. Tow capacity rating 5,000 lbs, tongue weight 500 lbs. Recommendation of both trailer sales and Chevy/ GMC dealership after comparing the specs was a truck of at least 3/4 ton rating. Subsequently, we have recently purchased a 2015 Silverado 2500hd rw drive. It's more than a bit rough on the t@b, but we got a thumbs up from the trailer sales bunch.

Just fyi, from the Mandy Lea video and is supposed to be the official Avia specs:

2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    rbtxrbtx Member Posts: 24
    Just FYI for those considering an Avia (off topic but ties in with the specs shown) - I noticed a tidbit of spoken info during PJ’s walk-thru video (PrincessCraft) that mentioned the Avia may be going to a rooftop AC design. I emailed NuCamp about it and they called me back yesterday and confirmed that 15,000 BTU rooftop units are now being used.  The specs shown in the previous comment include the previous 8,000 BTU non-rooftop design.  I don’t know how that may affect trailers already for sale on the lots with dealers.
  • Options
    @rbtx, thanks.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    rbtx said:
    Just FYI for those considering an Avia (off topic but ties in with the specs shown) - I noticed a tidbit of spoken info during PJ’s walk-thru video (PrincessCraft) that mentioned the Avia may be going to a rooftop AC design. I emailed NuCamp about it and they called me back yesterday and confirmed that 15,000 BTU rooftop units are now being used.  The specs shown in the previous comment include the previous 8,000 BTU non-rooftop design.  I don’t know how that may affect trailers already for sale on the lots with dealers.
    Watch the video I linked from the Hershey RV show...It clearly talks about the change in A/C units...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4DZp-TD9QU
    There have been some changes made in the current production units that they discuss.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    Om3Om3 Member Posts: 72
    We have found that the specs have changed ... and, were told by a dealer in OH they will continue to change. We were also told by several dealers that have the Avia that ... "you will have no problem towing the Avia with your Colorado '19." We began talking with several friends, who have campers...one asked to find the "gross vehicle weight for the Avia". No one can give it...nor, is it on any of the specs we have seen.
    We had these concerns about the towing capacity of our truck with an Avia...decided to go to you all for some feedback. Very Very much appreciated! We love the Avia...but for now we will stay with  our T@B 400...! To buy a new truck after just getting this one in the Spring would be crazy!
    Just as an added note...we personally spoke with 3 reputable Avia dealers...EVERY SINGLE ONE SAID THE COLORADO WOULD TOW PERFECTLY!   Buyer beware, I guess!
  • Options
    @Om3, a trailer salesman will tell you your vehicle will tow the trailer you want just to make a sale. Break the frame, burn up the tranny or crack the block 1 foot off his property and it's your problem, not his. (I have an honest salesman) who told me my tv was not up to the Avia. When both tv people and rv people agree that you have an adequate vehicle, then you're in the ballpark, as they say.
  • Options
    Viewed the various NuCamp products briefly again today. I was a little dismayed to tour the Avia again and see a trim piece missing from an overhead cabinet door (assuming it fell off or started coming off and was peeled off the rest of the way) along with another cabinet door that seemed to be warping or flexing oddly.  I’ve been in and out of a bunch of 400’s and 320’s over the past several months and never noticed anything like that. It’s typical of what I have often seen in new trailers from other manufacturers (including a couple I walked through today), but not something I experienced with NuCamp before. Hopefully it was just an odd occurrence and not typical of forthcoming quality.  I had taken my son with me (mid-20’s) and was bragging about NuCamps quality compared to some of what we saw and then, of course, he immediately saw these items and looked at me like ‘you were saying?’
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Wouldn’t you expect the dealer to correct any unsightly issues before displaying them? Unless it would take too much time/money. Or if they really aren’t that into Nücamp products and don’t mind languishing sales of same.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    Sure would, @jgram2.  This trailer didn’t just arrive, but maybe the issues just recently occurred - I don’t know.  I do know I see similar and plenty worse things in other manufacturers’ trailers at various dealers and they just seem to let them as-is, even show them that way.  We were on our own looking today with no salesperson present.  Drives me crazy to see things like that.  Maybe they tally them up and correct them all at once.  But it doesn’t leave the best impression about the build quality of the item being viewed.
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    Seems pretty obvious to me.....

Doubt the quality or have concerns  spend your money elsewhere.

Personally I think they are moving out of their niche.......

Anyone else wonder why in the heck they would start making a fiberglass trailer?    Why not bring back the tada?     

2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    ecstaticecstatic Member Posts: 65
    Cbusguy said:
    Agree I don't believe the Colorado or Canyon are enough truck.      Nor would a tacoma, frontier, or ranger for that matter.  
    I'm going to side with Cbusguy.  I would think you would want to pull with a half ton pickup that has a V8...
    2020 T@B 400 BDL    2019 Silverado 5.3L V8
    Chili, NY
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    rbtx said:
    Viewed the various NuCamp products briefly again today. I was a little dismayed to tour the Avia again and see a trim piece missing from an overhead cabinet door (assuming it fell off or started coming off and was peeled off the rest of the way) along with another cabinet door that seemed to be warping or flexing oddly.  I’ve been in and out of a bunch of 400’s and 320’s over the past several months and never noticed anything like that. It’s typical of what I have often seen in new trailers from other manufacturers (including a couple I walked through today), but not something I experienced with NuCamp before. Hopefully it was just an odd occurrence and not typical of forthcoming quality.  I had taken my son with me (mid-20’s) and was bragging about NuCamps quality compared to some of what we saw and then, of course, he immediately saw these items and looked at me like ‘you were saying?’
    I noticed this, and posted on the forum of my dismay, and the loss of fit & finish in the Avia, relative to the 320/400.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    gandegande Member Posts: 91
    I have seen the Avia in person and it sure looks like you are going to need some sort of full sized, body on frame vehicle to pull it.  The Avia is a big hulking looking thing.  It’s certainly not “cute” like a 320 (I think even our 400 stretches the limits of “cute”). 

I think at least a half ton pickup or Suburban type vehicle will be needed. 

Visually, the interior was gorgeous, but when I started to operate the cabinet doors and other fixtures it didn’t seem nearly as solidly built as a 400. 
    gande

2018 T@b 400
    2019 Ram 1500 crew cab / 5.7 V8
  • Options
    gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    Weight isn't the only consideration.  A large square wall will react much more to side forces (wind, large vehicles) and even with a WDH it could be a problem if you are using a vehicle up to it's rated limit.

I would always want to have some cushion on the tv specs and it sounds like this thing really needs a full size truck.  To me it's not about what you can do, it's about what you can do safely.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW
  • Options
    warren207warren207 Member Posts: 46
    We love our new Avia. We tow with a Toyota Sequoia. We towed our 400 from Denver to Seattle and the Avia back. We averaged the same gas mileage each way. I loved my T@B400 and might even go back if a few minor changes are made. 
    Sara & Mike/2020 AVIA #0066/Denver, CO
    2014 Toyota Sequoia
  • Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    Yea, you cannot trust 99% of the dealers as to whether your vehicle is adequate.  You need to do your own research on tow weights.  I also would not tow the Avia with a Colorado, Frontier, etc, would go up to at least a 1/2 ton, and maybe even a 3/4 ton V-8.  I think that Avia is quite a heavy trailer.
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Regarding the Avia, it appeals to a certain market out there, has all the amenities and that's why nuCamp is building it.  And as noted, it will take a heavy-duty pickup to pull it.  When you go out to places like Texas it seems like everyone has a trailer 30' long and they all know how to get them into small spaces, packed with bikes, kids toys, you name it!  I was camped in Palmetto State Park just west of Huston and when the weekend hit the big trailers and toys arrived.  If my plan was to buy and haul an Avia around I would get a lager pickup truck, something around 3/4 ton and with a horse of an engine and with the wide slide out style mirrors.  I had a 24' trailer out in Arizona and as noted, that is a lot of trailer to pull around.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    edited December 2019
    At a dry weight of only 4,500 lb, a well equipped half ton is more than sufficient.  Some half tons are now rated to tow over 12,000 lb.  While I agree, that towing large box shaped travel trailer over 10,000 lb with a half ton is a poor choice, I would not hesitate to recommend one for towing up to a 7,500 lb (loaded) travel trailer.  A 3/4 ton would be a good choice if you need to carry significant weight in the truck as well while towing. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    LifeatSunsetLifeatSunset Member Posts: 4
    I’m sort of looking at the Avia. I only have a lowly 2019 F-150 King Ranch with 1700lb payload to exploit along with a tow rating of 12000+ lbs for the 3.5EB engine which develops 375hp and 470 ft-lbs. i hope it can handle it. 😊
  • Options
    @LifeatSunset, welcome to the forum. If you have read this entire thread, you may have noticed I have been a several time contributor. I agree that you have enough tow capacity, and probably a high enough tongue weight  capacity, however, just consider your vehicle's actual weight. Just as a safety margin, I personally never want to be in a "tail is wagging the dog" situation, and want plenty of safety margin. In your case, that would be the only caveat. Btw, we still think the Avia is an absolutely gorgeous trailer and will be travelling to a dealer to see one soon. Good luck with this and hope to see a future post about you becomming a new Avia owner. Good luck with this! -Denise 
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    We went and looked at an Avia at our local dealer today. I do believe this will be our 2nd trailer in a couple of years. I LOVE my T@B CS and will never get rid of her for my solo travels, but traveling as a couple and crawling over each other in the T@B is just not very feasible any longer. We are also getting to the point where we will do more traveling trips (instead of single destination trips) and the small size for us as a couple won't be as comfortable as with shorter stops we won't want to set up as much outside.

I watched Paul the Air Force Guy's very detailed walkthrough, and he noted that there was an overhead A/C AND and Air 8 in the unit he was showing.

The unit we looked at today appeared to NOT have the Air8, only the overhead A/C. I'm a little bit concerned about it cooling the bedroom with no vents back there (especially with the door closed) Does anyone have an Avia with only the overhead A/C?
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    rkj__ said:
    At a dry weight of only 4,500 lb, a well equipped half ton is more than sufficient.  Some half tons are now rated to tow over 12,000 lb.  While I agree, that towing large box shaped travel trailer over 10,000 lb with a half ton is a poor choice, I would not hesitate to recommend one for towing up to a 7,500 lb (loaded) travel trailer.  A 3/4 ton would be a good choice if you need to carry significant weight in the truck as well while towing. 
    My plan is an F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost and max towing package rated up to 11,000 lbs.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    LifeatSunsetLifeatSunset Member Posts: 4
    The Avia is the first trailer I have considered that ticks off all the boxes for me. Except for length. My personal desire is no more than 23ft with a “stretch” of 25ft max. The Avia is 3 ft over.
    I’m a solo traveler for the most part. Emphasis on the traveler part. 2-3 day stay most times, no or min hookups preferring state or national parks. I’ve read about how most parks can fit a 28 and how a 30’ can fit 93% of the parks but 28’ combined with my 21’-22’ truck is a substantial sized rig for my style of camping. Does anyone know the gross vehicle weight? I can’t find what the axles are rated at. I would like to know what cargo weight can be added. 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Since the tongue weight is around 700 lbs, you can assume the Gross Vehicle weight is at least 7,000 to 7,500 lbs.  Dry weight is around 5185, so you can haul at leas 2K lbs inside the trailer.   Call to nuCamp will get your the actual figures.
    cheers.
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.