Options

First Outing in 2006 Dutchman T@b 320S - A Few Issues . . .

mdomb529mdomb529 Member Posts: 39
edited September 2019 in Camping & Travel
I'm on day 2 of my first outing in my 2006 Dutchman T@b 320S.  The unit is in great condition - it was first owned by a single older woman who used it rarely and stored it inside.  After one day in, I have to admit I have a few concerns about this unit being a good match for me:

1.  The awning, which seems to be OEM and in excellent condition, sags a lot.  I'm confused that the horizontal rods that stretch between the camper and the curved pole don't seem to lock in place.  I'm going to pick up some stakes and tension cords today to see if I can get the awning to be more taut.

2.  I know that there is a longstanding issue with bugs getting in through the screen, but I'm shocked that no matter how much I buttoned things down, more bugs kept getting in.  Last night I kept 2 of the 3 windows closed.  For the third window, I rolled up paper towels and slid those rolls in between the screen and the slide channel.  Still, 2-3 no-see-ums seemed to get in about every 10 minutes while the interior lights were on.  This morning I noticed a very small gap at the bottom of the door seal, which I will work to remedy today.  It also occurred to me that my sink drains directly to the outside, and bugs could be getting in through the drain.  Thankfully, the bugs went straight for the light and made easy targets.  I'm planning to order the brush strips from NuCamp, but in the meantime I'm going to get some foam strips and do a better job of addressing the gaps at the edge of the screen.

3.  We also own a 20-foot travel trailer.  I bought the T@b to enable me to do some solo camping at state/national parks farther from home, as the bigger camper gets terrible gas mileage.  I don't have everything properly set up in my T@b yet, but I'm a little concerned about feeling too hemmed in.  I plan to do some more organizing today, which should hopefully help.

I'm really hoping I can get these issues addressed, as I really like the idea of this camper.  We'll see . . .

Matt
Matt
Appleton, Wisconsin
2006 Dutchmen T@B ("Fuego")
TV: 2007 Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @Photomom provided a relatively easy fix for no see ums which she found elsewhere I think. Others have adopted her method with good results. https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/3569/no-see-um-window-screen-tutorial
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    Thanks!  I won't be able to pull that off for this trip, but a good suggestion before the next outing.
    Matt
    Appleton, Wisconsin
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 922
    edited September 2019
    The awning stretcher poles "lock" by twisting until tight.  Stretch / lengthen to the awning tension you want then twist to lock in position.
    have fun!

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,417
    I installed the bug brush on my 2015 and it seems to have made a big difference. The "hairnets" help also, but a lot of bugs get caught between them and the main screen and this makes for a bit of a mess. The brush is superior as it keeps most of the critters on the outside of the main screen.
    Also--as you have already ascertained--the beasties will find their way through any gaps as well. I had some big ones around my curved front window that I filled will some high compression foam.
    If you haven't done so already, do a search on "bug fuzz" and you should find several threads with more details.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Since you plan on camping solo in the T@B, consider only setting up half the bed so that you still have some seating inside with the bed set up. Put some sterilite drawers inside the front closet for your clothes. Take out the big table and use a small folding table if you want to eat inside. 
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments, everyone. 

I initially set up the awning at night two nights ago, so I didn't see that there was a locking mechanism on the poles that was activated by twisting.  When I investigated the poles yesterday in daylight, I saw that indeed they do lock.  Now the awning is nice and taut.  

I bought some 3/8" tubular insulating foam and crammed it into all the gaps around the windows, which cut the bugs down by about 80%.  I also put some amber tape over the outside light to attract fewer bugs.

I did a full reorganization of the interior using those cloth bins that you can get at pretty much any big-box store.  Big, big improvement.  I'm putting up some hooks and cargo nets today, as well as a shelf in the skinny cabinet next to the fridge, but I'm already feeling much better about the T@b than I was yesterday morning.  I'll submit pictures once complete.  In the meantime, here's a picture of my tidy little campsite.
    Matt
    Appleton, Wisconsin
  • Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    Which model do you have?  It isn't a 320S.  The "S" is for shower/bath.  If you join the FB group "T@B Camping Trailers", you will see storage ideas, single bed solutions, etc.  Our Dutchmen screens are different than the PVT/nuCamp version, and we have an extra slot for an added fix for bugs. They will still get inside if you leave a light on and windows open.  Have you purchased the ebook for T@Bs (ton of info for Dutchmen owners) on Amazon published by Richard Lewis?  
    https://www.amazon.com/101-Questions-About-Camping-Trailers-ebook/dp/B012OUSO74
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    TABaker said:
    Our Dutchmen screens are different than the PVT/nuCamp version, and we have an extra slot for an added fix for bugs.
    Thanks, TABaker!  I just purchased the Kindle book.  Can you elaborate on the additional slot for the bug issue?
    Matt
    Appleton, Wisconsin