We are new T@Bers! Battery systems questions for 2019 T@B 400

I'm trying to determine which battery system does what, more specific..the 12 V installed next to the propane bottle appears to handle all lights, fans, door step light, etc. Is that battery charged while towing and/or when plugged into shore power? My confusion is from the owner's manual stating ALL power comes from the AGM batteries installed under the bed (part of the solar system), which obviously isn't the case. The owner's manual that came with the 400 is from 2017.

Does anyone have a schematic for the 2019 electrical system? 

I called Customer Service yesterday mid-morning, left a message but never got a call back. What's the normal call back time frame?

Anxious to go camp but I want to know my systems first.

Thank you,

Toula 
2019 T@B 400 -- 2017 Toyota Tundra
South Louisiana

Comments

• DeltaPopDeltaPop Member Posts: 28
    Our Tab 400 has one battery system mounted under the bed, I do not have a battery near the propane tank. 
    I was not aware of two separate batteries, did it come from the factory like this?

Don & Mary
    2018 Tab 400
    2019 Tundra CM
    Wisconsin
  • ToulaToula Member Posts: 26
    Good morning DeltaPop,

No, but the dealer added the battery as part of the "dealer prep" stuff. They didn't even know about the other 2 AGM batteries installed under the bed until we questioned them and then he called the company. We actually knew more about the 400 than they did. To their defense though this was their first 400 so we are learning together. Most of our knowledge came from watching Travels with Delaney on YouTube!

I just checked the front 12 V with a volt meter, 12.37 Volts ,(we took delivery 4 days ago). I turned on the battery disconnect switch and plugged into shore power.... it's now charging so I'm thinking it must be connected in parallel with the other batts.

Toula
    South Louisiana
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,395
    Weird. I didn't think the 400 tub was even set up for a battery. Did they add a battery box and all the associated wiring as well?

I'm not sure it's a good idea to have dissimilar batteries wired in parallel, but the physics of that is a little out of my pay grade. Maybe someone else can add a little insight?
    2015 T@B S
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @ScottG, & @Toula, I had similar thoughts as Scott on this one....waiting for someone a little more versed in this as well. :|
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

The dealer added the battery box, etc, but the wiring "appears" to be factory installed.
    South Louisiana
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Toula said:
    Good morning DeltaPop,

No, but the dealer added the battery as part of the "dealer prep" stuff. They didn't even know about the other 2 AGM batteries installed under the bed until we questioned them and then he called the company. We actually knew more about the 400 than they did. To their defense though this was their first 400 so we are learning together. Most of our knowledge came from watching Travels with Delaney on YouTube!

I just checked the front 12 V with a volt meter, 12.37 Volts ,(we took delivery 4 days ago). I turned on the battery disconnect switch and plugged into shore power.... it's now charging so I'm thinking it must be connected in parallel with the other batts.

Toula
    Hi Toula, who was the dealer? I believe nüCamp will want to reach out to them and do a little education.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    If the single battery is 12V, if the others are both both 6V AGM, and if they are wired in series......or in parallel.....and if the 3rd battery is wet cell and not AGM.....this sort of sounds ominous.....

If it were me, I would send pictures to tech@nucamprv.com and ask him for some help so the dealer can put everything back as it was originally. Be sure to include the dealer’s name so nüCamp can give them the proper documentation to put it back correctly. 

And, I would get this done ASAP. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Toula, Tech@nucamprv.com is awaiting your information, as I emailed them the information I had.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    Thank you Verna! We are finishing up the email now but as suggested I have shut down everything and cancelled this weekend camping plans .
    Many thanks for all the input!
    I'll post a follwup when we get more.

Toula
    South Louisiana
    @Verna , what is the normal response time from nuCamp? We've heard nothing from call messages and emails yet?

Toula
    South Louisiana
    Well, I called NuCamp again and spoke with a Tech. He said the 12V installed in the tub  shouldn't hurt anything as it was done (hope he's correct) but they suggest removing the battery as the tongue doesn't need the extra weight and the camper is already set up with appropriate power. Pictures sent to them to study and correct the dealership as necessary.

Toula
    South Louisiana
  • davel4wadavel4wa Member Posts: 91
    If the battery was installed by the dealership, surely they would be bright enough to wire it in parallel with the existing battery or 6 volt battery pair. Parallel connection would insure that charging from the converter, tow vehicle, or the solar charger. As far as mixing battery types i.e. AGM vs wet cell, while they have the same voltage per cell they can have slightly different charging profiles. Best to stick with the same technology. If the dealer also installed a separate battery disconnect switch you will have to insure the battery is connected whenever charging is required. Keeping the extra battery offline during normal non-charging use (not plugged in) would allow a backup scenario where a fully charged battery would be available when the primary battery is low or discharged. 
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @davel4wa, the discussion was from last August.  I have to believe that the OP removed the extra 12v as the 400 comes equipped with a large battery system already.

Welcome to the forum!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    Yes @Sharon_is_SAM @davel4wa , after speaking to Austin @ NuCamp I removed the 12V deep cycle the dealership installed in the forward tub. I removed all their wiring and it's back to factory standards. 

Toula

South Louisiana